Talk

Advanced search

To say something re: baby walker at three months?

(70 Posts)
Piggyleroux Fri 14-Oct-11 11:18:40

Not sure what to do about this one. We gave DB and SIL a baby walker (I know, but they were going to buy one and we had one that was given to us which we never use.

Mil called me yesterday today how advanced the baby was because he was in the baby walker already. He is only three mo. I know that they are not meant to be used until baby os sitting independently.

The thing is, we gave it to them so I sort of feel obliged to say something or should I mind me own beeswax?

worraliberty Fri 14-Oct-11 11:21:29

I would mention something in a tactful way.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 14-Oct-11 11:25:40

yes, say something carefully and tactfully, perhaps emphasising the importance of tummy time in such a young baby

<sits on hands wrt baby walkers in general>

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 14-Oct-11 11:26:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BoysAreLikeDogs Fri 14-Oct-11 11:27:22

<sits on SGM's hands>

Marymaryalittlecontrary Fri 14-Oct-11 11:40:57

My SIL put a photo of her son in a thing which is a bit like a static walker (the baby sits in the same position as in a walker but there are no wheels iyswim) on Facebook when he was 3 months. I think some people like to use things 'early' as they like to feel their kids are progressing well etc. I didn't think it was meant to be very good for such young babies to be sitting in that position, but I dont have kids so didn't know for sure, and didn't say anything.

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 14-Oct-11 11:56:01

Say something. Those are the things with wheels right? DH brought one home for DD when she was about six months old. I disliked it on sight (not sure where he even got it) and put it out for someone to pick up.
He never noticed, she walked when she was ready.

kelly2000 Fri 14-Oct-11 11:57:33

I would mind your own business in general if it is just a difference of opinion, but as I assume it did not come with instructions mention to sil that it is only meant to be used when the baby can support itself. But if she ignores you then leave it.

BedatHogwarts Fri 14-Oct-11 12:02:45

They shouldn't be used at all. They can travel at 17mph and are the biggest cause of baby accidents in the home, according to my anenatal physiotherapist. Plus they encourage tiptoe positioning which hinders walking.

<refusing to sit on hands>

chipmonkey Fri 14-Oct-11 12:12:40

You could say something. But you know you will be ignored, don't you?

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 12:45:42

YABU for taking MIL seriously. They probably stuck him in it for a laugh and out again. A floppy 3mo isn't going to be able to sit up or propel himself anywhere... hmm

NinkyNonker Fri 14-Oct-11 12:55:52

Another hand sitter here. And I second the tactful mention of tummy time although DD hated it and rarely did it.

Tanif Fri 14-Oct-11 12:56:01

17pmh?!

Seriously? Is this before or after you hitch them to the tow bar of the car?

MyRealName Fri 14-Oct-11 13:12:55

Excuse my ignorance, what exactly is the problem with walkers? It crossed my mind that maybe one would be an appropriate Christmas pressie for DD (who will be 6.5mths by then), but then I dithered- I just feel a little uncomfortble seeing babies in them but I don't know why.

17mph- blimey.

OP, I would maybe raise the subject gently and tactfully if you can, but be prepared to drop the subject or be ignored.

ConfessionsOfAWereFanjo Fri 14-Oct-11 13:14:12

Those things have been banned in other countries for a reason. <stops self before launching into full rant mode>

StewieGriffinsMom Fri 14-Oct-11 13:25:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ConfessionsOfAWereFanjo Fri 14-Oct-11 13:31:08

They fall down steps/stairs. This is generally never good for the baby inside it.

Moominsarescary Fri 14-Oct-11 13:32:11

None of mine ever travelled at 17 mph , they never had an accident in one either but then I wouldn't leave them on their own in it

coraltoes Fri 14-Oct-11 13:34:51

My dd has one. In one room. No stairs down there. She does not travel at 17mph. But she spends max 15 mins in it per day. She still sits up fine, rolls all over the floor and is learning to crawl. All things in moderation surely.

horsemadgal Fri 14-Oct-11 13:37:03

Ahh but mine was travelling at 30mph at 2 months!

Tanif Fri 14-Oct-11 13:38:01

I hate to sound stupid but surely if a parent leaves a child unattended in a baby walker within easy reach of steps/stairs and said child takes a tumble down those steps/stairs, surely that is the fault of the parent and not the baby walker?

Moominsarescary Fri 14-Oct-11 13:41:10

tanif that's what I've always thought, after all babies/ toddlers can fall down stairs if left alone crawling/ walking

I do know someone who's baby fell down the stairs in a walker but IMO it was her own stupid fault for leaving the baby on it's own in it. Luckily the baby wasn't hurt

switchtvoffdosomelessboring Fri 14-Oct-11 13:44:07

I agree with Tanif, its not the baby walkers fault if some idiot person puts it at the top of some stairs. All my children went into one and they all walked before they were a year old. I think they are great for that stage when they get bored lying down (and take headers whenever sitting up).

Obviously don't use them 24/7. Use common sense.

OP I wouldn't say anything. You will only appear to be an annoying busybody and they will ignore you anyway.

buttonmoon78 Fri 14-Oct-11 13:48:23

Why would one be upstairs anyway? confused

DS1 used to use one (not at home) and loved it but he was 12m+. He didn't walk until v late as he had constant glue ear and balance problems. So I saw no issue with it. DDs never had one and I don't anticipate ds2 ever putting a foot in one unless he has similar issues to ds1.

Putting a 3mo in one though? That's a bit silly. I have a strapping 3mo, a proper big boy, and he'd probably get hurt. So a littler baby would be even more likely to come a cropper.

I'd just say something tactfully about support etc and hope it falls on receptive ears. You can't say a lot TBH as you did give it to them!

Iggly Fri 14-Oct-11 13:52:36

Baby walkers are over priced gimmicks. I can't see how they would encourage a baby to walk any sooner than they are ready <stealth boasts that DS walked at 10 months without needing one>

I'd mention it in passing - ask if they've got it, if they say they've used it, mention that it's for babies who are x months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now