Talk

Advanced search

to let an 8 year old and a 10 year old travel cross country by train alone.

(62 Posts)
LadySybil Fri 14-Oct-11 10:34:04

I think i am. but cant work out any other way of making half term work. tell me if i am being ridiculous

MotherPanda Fri 14-Oct-11 10:36:32

no no no - the train companies actually say not till they are 12.

Trains can get delayed, cancelled, diverted, be over crowded (squished against the door). People can be very rude.

How would your children cope with these situations.

do look at the national rail site for children.

Are you sure you cant travel with them?

marge2 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:37:05

I wouldn't. I think that's too young to travel on public transport for such a long way alone.

BuntyPenfold Fri 14-Oct-11 10:37:08

I think it's a bit young for more than a short journey with no changes.
Mine went alone at 12 on a long journey and crossing London.

TheRealMrsHannigan Fri 14-Oct-11 10:37:17

Exactly what MotherPanda said.

CristinaaarghdellAaarghPizza Fri 14-Oct-11 10:37:22

Hmm... I'm a big fan of letting children get independence relatively early but I think that's a bit young.

But really, there's lots more info needed. Will they be together? Travelling on one train with someone putting them on the train at one end and someone taking them off at the other? Do they have a mobile? Have they done the journey before?

ggirl Fri 14-Oct-11 10:37:32

I wouldn't

SausageGoulsAndFruitSpooks Fri 14-Oct-11 10:38:29

Is it a direct train or are there changes?

If it was a direct train I would probably do it if no other way, just given them some firm rules before they go and make sure someone was there to meet them at the other end.

If there was changes, especially at big stations, I would probably try and find another way to get to their destination. I got totally lost at Birmingham New Street last week and I'm 25 blush

RedOnion Fri 14-Oct-11 10:40:02

I certainly wouldn't at 8! 10 perhaps but 8, absolutely not.

Also don't think its allowed.

aldiwhore Fri 14-Oct-11 10:40:59

8 is WAY to young, I have one and I wouldn't even consider this.

10 is probably OKAY if there are no stops and there's a plan B, but its completely unfair to excpect a 10 yr old to look after an 8 year old.

YABVU.

There has to be another way.

MotherPanda Fri 14-Oct-11 10:41:04

oh, actually the age thing depends on the train company, so check with the company.

No way, they are far too young!

slavetofilofax Fri 14-Oct-11 10:41:36

Far too young, anything could happen!

Fennel Fri 14-Oct-11 10:42:36

I would let them on a not too crowded train on a direct route. Am about to start sending my 11 and 10yo on that sort of journey. With mobile phones and lots of instructions about what to do in emergencies. We'd have done it before if they'd had more places to go alone, if there had been a need for those journeys.

MotherPanda Fri 14-Oct-11 10:44:03

www.btp.police.uk/passengers/advice_and_information/travel_wise.aspx

valiumredhead Fri 14-Oct-11 10:46:25

No! Big difference between a 10 and 12 yr old. 12 is youngest I would even think about it.

LadySybil Fri 14-Oct-11 10:46:44

Its a direct train. what i still call the intercity. I would put them on at this end, with someone picking them up from paddington, as i dont want them going accross london. BUt you ladies are right. 8 and 10 is far too young.
what if they went with a 14 year old who is used to trains in london, and has done this journey before?

slavetofilofax Fri 14-Oct-11 10:49:31

Too much responsibility for a 14yo imo, but I guess that would depend on the 14yo in question.

ColdToast Fri 14-Oct-11 10:49:52

Possibly with the 14yr-old but a lot would depend on the personalities involved and their relationship with each other. What, for example, would the 14yr-old realistically be able to do if one of the younger children misbehaved?

BuntyPenfold Fri 14-Oct-11 10:50:06

I would let the 10 and 14 year old together,I think, depending on the individuals.
I wouldn't let the 8 year old though - too much responsibility for the elder child.

lisad123 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:50:17

I struggle to manage my two on trains with the quick getting off and the holes between train and platform. I can't servos a 14 year old would do it. Can't you do it??

valiumredhead Fri 14-Oct-11 10:50:33

No, too much responsibility for a 14 year old.

Seriously, I think you just need to change your half term plans OP.

Flamingredhead Fri 14-Oct-11 10:59:26

depends on the 14 year old .I could trust ds2 at 14 to do this .Hell he manged to look after dd and ds3 8 and 6( ds3 has sn ) in middle of London bus station after i had a serious accident .He manged to care for them, there and at the hospital while waiting for my mum to get to the hospital

ghoulionine Fri 14-Oct-11 11:03:03

I wouldn't let a 10 and 8 yo an a train journey on their own. Actually I would be less worried on a plane where they canot get out at the wrong stop IYSWIM. With a train they could make a mistake and get out to early or miss their stop and that woulfd worry me a lot.

LadySybil Fri 14-Oct-11 11:05:35

okie. will have a rethink.

thank you mumsnetters

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now