Talk

Advanced search

To not want criminals jumping through our garden all the f*cking time

(12 Posts)
Rollergirl1 Thu 13-Oct-11 22:24:52

On Sunday our neighbour knocked on our door to inform us that a man had just jumped over her back fence into her garden, while she was sitting there. She was obviously shocked and scared and shouted for him to get out of her garden. He was apparently also shocked and immediately went back the way he had came. Neighbour went inside to call the police and within seconds the police were knocking on her door. Apparently the guy had been running away from them and they had seen where he went.

We have a new, big community council building that is directly behind our houses that also houses the Police station. I couldn't say if there are cells there or not.

Tonight DH and I were in our kitchen when we heard a hugh commotion coming from the garden. DH went outside and checked and now our neighbours on the other side have had someone enter their property and garden also. But this time from the street and exiting over the back fence. Once again the police were in hot pursuit and were knocking on the door within seconds of our neighbours being alarmed. These neighbours have had quite a few incidents happen over the past 2 years and have installed cctv and high-tech video cameras.

I am now actually quite fearful. This is twice in the space of a week that we have had people jumping into and out of out property. Obviously the police are on the case, but each time they have been chasing them. Is it coincidence that there is a police station right behind our houses? Are they in custody and are able to get free? Are the police being negligent?

squeakytoy Thu 13-Oct-11 22:31:40

It would certainly make sense to keep your doors locked at all times.

blackeyedsusan Thu 13-Oct-11 22:39:34

trellis and pyrocanthus across the top of your fence. the trellis is too flimsy for them to get over safely and the pyrocanthus acts as a deterent. (either that or the criminals will end up looking like a porcupine. it will grow up from behind other less prickly bushes, though I think you would have to get it established first. it seems to have done the trick along the side wall of the flats.

blackberries may be a better option as you would get fruit as well. (mmm)

IQuiteLikeVodka Thu 13-Oct-11 22:51:48

yabu

CustardCake Thu 13-Oct-11 22:53:55

Is that the same as Firethorn blackeyedsusan?
Firethorn is a dense hedge (with berries - its an evergreen and grows 6 - 15 feet tall) Its prickles are lethal - really dense and long and very painful.
It is illegal to put things up like barbed wire or broken glass or anything like that but FireThorn is totally legal and twice as painful!
Plus as it's so dense it acts as a screen and sound proofing too.

scaryhairydroopytits Thu 13-Oct-11 23:03:44

In the short term I would put a row of carpet gripper rod, grippy bit pointing downwards, all along the top of your fence. (I'm not sure if this is legal though). Pyrocanthus excellent longer term solution. Also I would ask for a disclosure under the data protection act as to whether people are excaping custody from the nearby police station. It seems unlikely though.

OhMyGolly Thu 13-Oct-11 23:59:52

Oh blimey, YANBU. I remember as a child sitting in the back garden with my Mother and sisters and suddenly a man ran into the garden high jumped next doors fence, shortly followed by about 5 police men, we were shock.

Our side return wasn't exactly secure though with a waist high metal gate hmm.

minimisschief Fri 14-Oct-11 00:43:03

put a pond by the fence. your choice if you fill it with water or sharpened spikes

CustardCake Fri 14-Oct-11 08:23:12

Even on private property well away from a boundry, you are not allowed to put anything that would be considered a man-trp ie a hole with spikes!
Reinforcing your boundry legally is the best way and that means high fences (as high as planning regs allow) and natural spikes in the form of prickly hedges.

CogitoErgoSometimes Fri 14-Oct-11 09:44:08

YANBU to not want intruders vaulting your fences. Also recommend installing trellis panels above fencing and planting thorny shrubs like Pyracantha or climbing roses.

valiumredhead Fri 14-Oct-11 09:47:02

What blackeyedsusan said - you need to make it as hard as possible for them to get over.

SoupDragon Fri 14-Oct-11 09:54:04

YABU to think that twice in a week is all the time.

Definitely go with trellis, spiky plants, bear traps and tiger pits though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now