Talk

Advanced search

To wish there was somewhere that boys could just be boys.

(271 Posts)
Teapotqueen Thu 13-Oct-11 21:15:54

My DS is just starting Beavers (a younger version of cubs) and it has dawned on me that today there is nowhere where a boy can just be a boy without having girls around to think about. Rainbows, Brownies and Guides are girls only. Everything else is mixed sexes, football, scouts, all school clubs. Why is it wrong in the modern world for boys to be with just boys. Just a thought.

nevergoogle Thu 13-Oct-11 21:17:39

i have two boys. i have no idea what you're talking about.

chickentikkatellmethetruth Thu 13-Oct-11 21:18:38

Are beavers and cubs mixed these days then?

worraliberty Thu 13-Oct-11 21:18:58

I have 3 boys and I have no idea what you're talking about either Lol

My son plays for an all boys football team

DownbytheRiverside Thu 13-Oct-11 21:19:03

It's a mystery to me why girls were allowed to gatecrash the scouts, but fortunately my son's scout group are very heavily male and is run by blokes who have a laid back attitude to acceptable risks and dirt.
I have no objection to all-female groups but I think that boys should be allowed the same option in some areas of their lives.

Trills Thu 13-Oct-11 21:19:17

Why do you feel that young children need to be segregated by gender?

Trills Thu 13-Oct-11 21:19:53

I mean, what is it that boys would want to do for 2 hours in the evening no girls would want to do, or vice versa?

ScaredBear Thu 13-Oct-11 21:20:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFallenMadonna Thu 13-Oct-11 21:20:40

Can boys not be boys then, in the presence of girls?

Not sure DS thinks about the girls much...

NeumsyPeddie Thu 13-Oct-11 21:20:50

If he's the right age for Beaver scouts, why would he be "thinking about" girls? I'm confused. Why can't boys be boys at that age with girls around?

DownbytheRiverside Thu 13-Oct-11 21:20:50

She's talking about the fact that girl guides are allowed to be single sex and scouts are not, and that all other clubs and sports are equal opportunities.
I wish scouts had stayed single sex.

TimeWasting Thu 13-Oct-11 21:21:00

Why would having girls present affect anything? Pre-pubescently particularly?

What would the boys be doing that they can't do with girls nearby?

LucaBrasi Thu 13-Oct-11 21:21:11

Yes there is. There is Beavers/Cubs/Scouts. And later on, if they want, they can join the Masons. Although the wives are allowed for cooking occasions

AuntiePickleBottom Thu 13-Oct-11 21:21:42

agree with frills

hiddenhome Thu 13-Oct-11 21:21:51

Tut, those pesky girls get everywhere don't they? They should be kept indoors to do their embroidery hmm

MillyR Thu 13-Oct-11 21:22:28

Boys Brigade is single sex. That is like the Scouts isn't it?

DownbytheRiverside Thu 13-Oct-11 21:22:31

'I mean, what is it that boys would want to do for 2 hours in the evening no girls would want to do, or vice versa?'

'Why do you feel that young children need to be segregated by gender?'

Why don't rainbows and brownies and guides let boys join then?

peggotty Thu 13-Oct-11 21:22:56

What do you mean by 'having girls around to think about'? The average 6 yo boy doesn't feel the need to temper his behaviour if there are girls about IMO. Do you really think your son notices or cares if there are girls around?

Hulababy Thu 13-Oct-11 21:23:33

LucaBrasi - girls are allowed to join Beavers, Cubs and Scouts. Boys can't join Brownies and Guides though.

TimeWasting Thu 13-Oct-11 21:23:50

Are there lots of boys clambering to join the Rainbows?

watfordmummy Thu 13-Oct-11 21:24:14

Teapot I get it, I do believe that boys are different to boys. Boys need to let off steam, boys react differently to girls. I do feel that girls and boys should be allowed to be different without Luca this being seen as denegrating girls! I know however that I am in the minority.

Nevertooearlyforcake Thu 13-Oct-11 21:24:30

Will probably enrollment my daughter into beavers, she likes doing the kind of stuff they do. Left to her own devices she plays with boys. I have two DDs though so perhaps there is an issue here I'm not appreciating, what do you think having girls around is going to prevent? I'd be quite happy to see boys in Rainbows, brownies etc

ScaredBear Thu 13-Oct-11 21:24:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeumsyPeddie Thu 13-Oct-11 21:25:17

Ok, I'm laughing at the fact that we've all asked the exact same question: Why should they be "thinking about" girls at that young of an age?

BorderBinLiner Thu 13-Oct-11 21:25:19

My DD is part of the Scout movement, unless they've had to scrap the 'Who can piss the highest' badge her female presence is unlikely to alter the activities on offer.

You are clearly just sensitive about your boy being beaten by a girl - how very retro.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now