Talk

Advanced search

Pissed off to be all but nicked by the noddyplods even though they were polite.

(29 Posts)
solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Oct-11 15:30:36

To be fair I suppose they had some justification and they were very civil. What is madame doing with a notebook and a camera? Has madame got any ID? And we will just run a quick check on that ID at the station....

I wasn't wearing my Fuck Tha Police pullover, either...

mustdache Thu 13-Oct-11 15:32:41

perhaps the long coat and these were uncalled for?

MrsStephenFry Thu 13-Oct-11 15:33:59

You must have a furtive, shift look about you.

welliesandpyjamas Thu 13-Oct-11 15:34:10

Noddyplods??
Fuck tha police??

You joking, yes?

solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Oct-11 15:39:11

THough I know I am not a criminal and had legitimate reason to be where I was, doing what I was doing, I am actually a touch ambivalent about whether they should have stopped me or not. And I do wonder what might have happened had I not recognised one of them and started chattering brightly about 'Ooh, you're the COmmunity officer at my son's school aren't you, what are you doing in this part of town?' which probably helped convince them still further that I was not a marauder.

So, what were you doing with a notebook and camera?

Jackstini Thu 13-Oct-11 15:42:20

Why were you pissed off sgb?
Surely they were just doing their job - where were you at the time?
If anyone was round your house/workplace with a notebook & camera I am sure you'd want it checked out...

solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Oct-11 15:42:46

Property scouting - one of my jobs is working for a property investor, so I was looking for houses/flats that are on the market, vacant, derelict or for rent. And if I found any, photographing them and writing down the addresses.

welliesandpyjamas Thu 13-Oct-11 15:46:48

Sounds like both you and the police were doing your jobs well then. Except they are not likely to be complaining about you right now.

squeakytoy Thu 13-Oct-11 15:50:05

Considering it isnt against the law to take a photograph (yet)... I would have been fuming...

Dictat Thu 13-Oct-11 15:50:54

To be honest, I think that YABVU. They were only doing their job.
Furthermore consider yourself thoroughly chastised for referring to them as noddyplods.
It is that kind of disrespectfulness towards people who have a tough enough job to do as it is, that just compounds the sh*t attitude they face on a daily basis from the general public. Get some manners....

Booooooyhoo Thu 13-Oct-11 15:51:09

"Except they are not likely to be complaining about you right now."

that's because she didn't interfere with them doing their job, she was part of it, but they weren't part of hers and did interfere with her doing it.

Jackstini Thu 13-Oct-11 15:52:45

Think thery were fair enough to stop you then - you could have been scouting for somewhere to break into for all they knew. Safer to check.
But you know that really!

ThePumpkinofDoomandTotalCha0s Thu 13-Oct-11 15:55:27

hmm. I'ld be irritated at the request for ID, but to be fair, it probably did look like you were casing the joint!

HappyJoy Thu 13-Oct-11 15:57:45

I know I am not a criminal and had legitimate reason to be where I was, doing what I was doing,

they didnt have their crystal balls working at the time

how many go around saying oi, look at me, I am a crim I am

redrobin Thu 13-Oct-11 16:02:03

hmmm wonder what the 'noddyplods' call property investors? i could suggest a few....

welliesandpyjamas Thu 13-Oct-11 16:12:57

Booooooyhoo - if you ever find that there is a stranger hanging around looking at your house, photographing it and making notes, maybe you could invite them in for a cuppa to make their job easier. Don't ever try and make the police's job easier though coz they iz scum innit.

Tianc Thu 13-Oct-11 16:22:53

YANBU.

Taking photos in public has, bizarrely, become The Sign of An Evil-Doer.

No one can really quite explain why.

I've heard "They might be a paedophile". Yeah, taking photos of buildings.
And "They might be a terrorist." And so might you, dear. One might as well say going on the Tube is the sign of a terrorist, or parking a car.

Booooooyhoo Thu 13-Oct-11 16:46:37

bit of an assumption you're making there wellies. confused

to clarify, before anyone else assumes to know how i feel about the police hmm, i DO NOT think (nor have i implied i do) the police are scum. 4 members of my family are police officers. having talked with them all on different occasions, i have a huge amount of respect for them for doing what i consider a very difficult job.

secondly, i was responding to your comment about the police not complaining about SGB. i did not state that i thought the police were wrong to do what they did. i did not comment on what SGB said. i commented on your post.

finally, inviting someone who was taking pictures of the outside of my house in for a cuppa would more than likely hinder them in carrying out their duties rather than, as you have suggested, make their job easier. what a silly thing to say. i dont think google streetview photographers would find theior job made easier by every homeowner inviting them in for a cuppa.

and relax BTW, you seem uptight?

solidgoldbrass Thu 13-Oct-11 19:11:05

I do sort of see their point, which they did explain to me (today was the start of a brand new anti-burglar initiative, apparently) but at the same time an old bat in a mac, bumbling along with a camera and a notebook and making no attempt to be furtive or anything and offering a full and frank explanation when asked what I was doing.... does that really sound like a major crime threat to you? I think what actually did unsettle and annoy me was having to produce ID and wait while they radioed the police station to find out if I had a record.

I suppose I should be glad I don't Look Foreign or they might have just shot me.

worraliberty Thu 13-Oct-11 19:15:28

Nicked normally means arrested

If you're saying you were simply stopped and checked it's a bit of a biscuit really.

You should try being a teenage boy. My son used to get stopped and checked all the time but he understood the reasoning behind it.

welliesandpyjamas Sun 16-Oct-11 13:06:38

booooooyhoo that makes two of us then, sweetie

Ture, worra.

Try being a black man driving a Range Rover grin drug dealer drug dealer drug dealer

My husband was stopped practically DAILY! To the extent that we used to joke about the offence DWB (driving while Black) grin

Minus273 Sun 16-Oct-11 13:16:41

hecate if that was me I wouldn't find it funny after a while. Your Dh obviously has a lot more patience than me.

I used to get stopped on the way home from work as I work shifts and they find it strange that someone is driving at that time of night. I used to worry that I sounded sarcastic when answering where I had been while wearing my work ID round my neck. I always still had it on as we need them to open the door to get out.

lenak Sun 16-Oct-11 13:29:35

You need one of these:

BFP Blue Card

and possibly one of these in case you get stopped under section 44:

Photographer not terrorist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now