Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up by fuses being taken from one appliance to sort another?

(28 Posts)
Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:10:39

our dishwasher fuse blew. Dh said it was because I 'yank' the plug out when it needs to be unplugged. He changed the fuse and took the fuse from the deep fat fryer. This fuse blew too and again he said it was because I yanked it?! Both were same day. He changed it again and I realised this morning when I took the toast out of the toaster that he had replaced the fuse this time with the one from the toaster.

He feels this is perfectly reasonable and said this is what happens in 'normal' houses. I can't believe people just ,ove one fuse from another appliance (particularly those used daily)

I am being unreasonable to have commented that this is frustrating and that perhaps a fuse should only be changed when a spare is available unless it's an emergency?

GypsyMoth Thu 13-Oct-11 09:12:56

Well why didn't you tell him that at the time?

Or do what I do, and have spares in ready?

Or alternatively, why don't you change the fuse yourself and nit tell him about it?

And stop the 'yanking' !!

AKMD Thu 13-Oct-11 09:14:00

YANBU, that would drive me potty. Point out to him that fuses have different ratings and what will be ok for the toaster will blow immediately if you put in in the dishwasher hmm Then stock up on different fuses so that he doesn't have to keep dismantling your appliances.

If he carries on, get him a toy hammer and send him to the shed grin

ScaredBear Thu 13-Oct-11 09:20:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

niceguy2 Thu 13-Oct-11 09:20:40

Ok, firstly did the fuse both times blow at the exact time you "yanked" the plug out? It seems unlikely to me this was the cause. If the fuse blew twice, are you sure there's no fault on the dishwasher?

Secondly, just pop down to the shops and buy some replacement fuses. It's no biggie then just replace the fuse yourself.

I always try to keep a few in my toolbox for this exact reason. And if your husband does borrow a fuse (which btw i think is entirely reasonable) then suggest he takes it from something you don't use everyday or which will have limited impact such as from one of his power tools, your hair straighteners, child's TV etc.

Ooopsadaisy Thu 13-Oct-11 09:21:13

In this house, when a light bulb dies, some half-baked doink takes the light bulb from another light rather than getting a new one out of the cupboard.

Ditto loo rolls.

All that yanking will give you a sore wrist wink

minimisschief Thu 13-Oct-11 09:33:09

the fuses are blowing either because there is something wrong with the dishwasher or the fuses being used are not designed to be used fora dishwasher

if you are unhappy about his lack of a clue about fuses do not leave it up to him to sort it out. you are perfectly capable to do it yourself

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 09:33:56

So buy a pack of assorted fuses, and have it somewhere handy! They don't cost much.

But if fuses keep going in your appliances, you need to think about why that is - are you using the wrong ratings (quite likely if he's randomly moving them between appliances), or do you have dodgy cables, or other things going wrong?

I don't end up changing a fuse more than once or twice in a year, and we have a lot of appliances. If they keep going, you need to work out why. I doubt "yanking" the plug out will be the cause, unless you're smashing it against concrete in the process!

Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:34:21

Thanks guys! I will just do it myself next time (never done it before so will have to learn). Just frustrating as I end up doing everything.

As you probably gathered, I didn't yank the plug out.... Just took the plug out to plug in a different appliance.

Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:35:48

You're right is probably is time for the dishwasher to meet dishwasher heaven....

squeakytoy Thu 13-Oct-11 09:35:59

Clearly he isnt an electrician, and neither am I, but even I know fuses that keep blowing are because there is a problem somewhere, and yanking a plug out is highly unlikely to be the cause.

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 09:36:18

You can get 30 mixed fuses for under a fiver (incl p&p) from ebay www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30-HOUSEHOLD-FUSES-UK-13-AMP-3-PIN-PLUG-13A-5A-3A-MIX-/300595363254?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Electrical_Fittings_MJ&hash=item45fce13db6

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 09:38:57

Check out what you need to do before you have to manage for real - you just need to undo the single big screw on the "belly" of the plug, and the cover will come off. Then you can lever the fuse out of its slot and clip a new one in. Normally, you'd always replace with the same as you took out (they are different colours so not hard to work out). But if he's been doing them randomly they may not be right to start with.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 13-Oct-11 09:40:39

Pulling out plugs doesn't blow fuses. Fuses go when there's a power surge or overload.... that's their job. Pulling out plugs repeatedly or roughly can loosen wires and, if the wire isn't properly fixed to the pin inside, the connection will fail and the appliance will stop working. Replace the fuse without making sure the wires are properly attached and that won't fix the problem

How to Wire a Plug Education is power smile

Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:41:05

Thank you mum in scotland. I will buy new fuses today, follow your advise on how to change it and then next time it happens when he jumps off the sofa tutting at me for causing it to blow I can properly and efficiently change it and avoid all frustration.

I'll also put a fuse back into the toaster and deep fat fryer!!

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 09:41:20

Heres how to decide the fuse you need -

Consult the appliance rating plate (often found on the rear or underside of the appliance) or look at the manufacturer's instructions to find the wattage. Then use the following as a guide to select the correct fuse:

•3 Amp fuse for appliances up to 700 Watts
•5 Amp fuse for appliances ranging from 700 to 1000 Watts
•13 Amp fuse for appliances over 1000 Watts

Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:42:35

Cogit - you are a star! It's probably also time I learnt to change a light bulb too but then dh would have no household jobs left to do!

Veryfrustrating Thu 13-Oct-11 09:43:24

Mum in Scotland - thank you. You are all right education is power. It's just not something I have ever had to do

AMumInScotland Thu 13-Oct-11 09:44:25

And as Cogito says, check the wiring while you have it open - a loose wire touching where it shouldn't will break the fuse, because that's what the fuse is for - protecting you and the appliance from too much electricity going where it's not meant to.

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 13-Oct-11 09:46:02

Light bulbs are far easier to change than plugs. And there is no law that says men are any better with electronics than women. In fact, IMlimitedE, there are too many amateur DIY-ers out there that go with 'if it doesn't fit, hit it with a hammer until it does'... and their bodged handiwork keeps real electricians nicely busy.

niceguy2 Thu 13-Oct-11 10:12:25

You'll probably find that your dishwasher has a moulded plug. So there's nothing to unscrew anyway. Most moulded plugs nowadays just have a plastic bit on the bottom which you can pop out and the fuse is inside it. Just replace the fuse with the same one and pop the plastic bit back.

Chances are you wont even need to open the plug up. I did all this in physics at school. Did noone else do this!?!?!

CogitoErgoSometimes Thu 13-Oct-11 10:16:51

Do what? Wire a plug in a physics lesson? No... sorry. I was once given the excellent Readers Digest DIY Manual and have become a whizz with a leccy screwdriver and pasting table ever since. smile

I did plugs at school.

I cannot understand why you would raid another plug to get a fuse though? Don't people have spares of stuff like this at home? confused

SurreyDad Thu 13-Oct-11 10:41:11

Don't yank the cord out by the cable - you could loosen the wires inside the plug and cause a short circuit or a fire. You should always pull a plug out using the plug. The power cord is not designed to take that stress.

lurkerspeaks Thu 13-Oct-11 11:52:24

Threads like this embarrass me - how can woman possibly be expected to be taken seriously when they don't know how to change a fuse, wire a plug or change a lightbulb.

I would be very suspicious of fuses blowing. I've been a homeowner for 10 years and my toolbox still contains unblemished and untouched the little card of fuses my Dad put in it as part of my housewarming gift.

BTW the best person at decorating in our family is my Aunt who was a single parent for 7 years. I go to her for advice (but am still scared of hanging wallpaper).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now