Talk

Advanced search

to wish that people would use aibu properly, rather than as an extension of chat?

(15 Posts)
LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 08:02:39

We have several topics which people post in and don't get answers. Why? Because everyone's over in aibu because "it gets more traffic" well, it gets more traffic because of people asking ridiculous questions like aibu to put the milk in first. That's what chat is for. Aibu is for rants and genuine debates. So, unless you really want a debate about wooly hats, use the correct topic. Its not hard ffs. At the moment, see a thread in the wrong place, report another pops up. Then the op nmoans about their thread being moved. Ii think the problem is the name. Any title can be twisted to suit aibu even if the content isn't.

And yes, I want a debate so this belongs here rather than site stuff grin

billgrangersrisotto Thu 13-Oct-11 08:05:22

YABU.

HullEnzia Thu 13-Oct-11 08:05:35

The worst ones are the "aibu to really love my DC?" threads. (RETCH)

GypsyMoth Thu 13-Oct-11 08:05:52

I think we had this last week!

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 08:10:38

Oh yes ILT, think it was a bit longer ago, but there always seems to be a load of posters saying "yes, its annoying" but then a zillion banal threads pop up wanting to talk about cake or fucking shoes. There is a S&B section. There is a food section. Post there!

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 08:10:38

Oh yes ILT, think it was a bit longer ago, but there always seems to be a load of posters saying "yes, its annoying" but then a zillion banal threads pop up wanting to talk about cake or fucking shoes. There is a S&B section. There is a food section. Post there!

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Thu 13-Oct-11 08:10:50

YABU. And probably on here too much if it bothers you that much.

I mean, who even cares?!! (okay, you do.)

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 08:13:53

Flossie, I care because a) its annoying and b) people who need genuine help aren't getting it, because everyone posts in aibu. You may as well just get rid of everything bar chat and aibu.

FlossieFromCrapstonVillas Thu 13-Oct-11 08:15:12

Doesn't annoy me at all.

Bucharest Thu 13-Oct-11 08:22:24

Doesn't annoy me, because I only click on the bunfighty interesting looking ones.
But the ones I hate are the ones you have to click on to see what the feckity they're talking about. The ones that just have "AIBU??" as the subject matter.
They are. (BU)

AKMD Thu 13-Oct-11 08:26:37

If I can't see what the thread's about, I can't be bothered to click.

Even worse than the 'aibu to love my DCs so much' are the 'aibu to think MNer-X is the best poster in the world'. Seriously? Embarrassing!

YANBU by the way.

Lucyinthepie Thu 13-Oct-11 08:53:10

I think there are far too many topics on Mumsnet, as evidenced by the lack of posts on many of them. It's time Mumsnet had a review of the topics and all the silly little sub-boards and tidied up. If they did that then people would be much more likely to post in an appropriate place because they would know that their thread was more likely to be read.

Trills Thu 13-Oct-11 08:57:40

YANBU.

This isn't really an AIBU but it gets more traffic

should always be responded to with

The subject this should have been in (Gardening, Legal, whatever) is only quiet because people like YOU only ever go to AIBU

The more people post in AIBU "to get more traffic" the less traffic everywhere else will actually get, so the more people will want to post in AIBU to get more traffic, so everywhere else will get even quieter.

In some cases it is extra ridiculous because I know that there are some people who actively check out (for example) Geeky Stuff to help out with tech questions

Trills Thu 13-Oct-11 08:58:10

I agree that threads that don't say what they are about are even more annoying than misplaced threads.

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 09:28:09

trills, yep. I go onto IF to see if theres something I can help with, and I know that kewcumber seeks out adoption threads. I really think its the name. any title can be manipulated into an aibu, even if the content cant.

"so, whats your favourite colour?" is a fun chat thread.
"aibu to ask you your favourite colour" is a ridiculous aibu thread. do they expect a hefty debate about the merits of green over yellow ffs?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now