Talk

Advanced search

School yet again penalising the children of working parents.

(353 Posts)
Reality Wed 12-Oct-11 18:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lec0rnsillk Wed 12-Oct-11 18:18:42

email LEA or MP? I agree it's shit - they could do something after school.

laptopdancer Wed 12-Oct-11 18:19:36

Totally agree many schools dont consider working parents.
Which is odd as many of their staff are too.

squeakytoy Wed 12-Oct-11 18:20:31

What is the alternative though? I cant see one.

Solopower Wed 12-Oct-11 18:22:12

It sounds like a lovely idea - what a pity it's so badly thought through. I hope you get them to change it (change times or clarify the situation) - and also that they organise more events to get parents in as well (but well thought out ones).

upahill Wed 12-Oct-11 18:23:02

I would make a start with the head and then the Governers.
I would make it mores strongly worded than in the past. Make sure you don't delete any replies. If you don't get a satisfactory response take it higher.

The children's ex primary school liked to do stuff with the parents but it would be in the evening.

slavetofilofax Wed 12-Oct-11 18:24:00

If they never invited the parent in during school time, it would be penalising the children of SAHP, because they would be denied a lovely opportunity because of someone else.

I think the school need to give more notice about things like this, but I would be very upset if they stopped doing them at all. It's nice for the children and it's nice for the parents, and with enough notice, I'm sure working parents could get something sorted.

Sandalwood Wed 12-Oct-11 18:24:51

That's terrible. They should organise for the children to access all these activities anyway and the parents/families are invited - not depend on the parents for the DCs to do the art stuff.

hocuspontas Wed 12-Oct-11 18:27:16

Agree with squeaky. Unless you are cross because there was hardly any notice given.
Realistically you can't please all tof the people all of the time. The best is pleasing most of the people most of the time.

lol at emailing MP!

seeker Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:06

If our school did something like this, there would loads of notice, so every one who ants to can go.

You could argue that this also penalises parents with pre school children as well .............

silverfrog Wed 12-Oct-11 18:28:06

surely they should be able to organise the class TA to take groups of 2/3 around, then swap for the next group etc on a rota basis? since half the class are out with their parents anyway.

and not having stuff going on in class is pants. no way shoudl they have just had a 'normal' school day - that a double penalty.

school should give more notice as well - then even if parents can't go, a stand in might be able to be organised (eg my friend went in for dd2's grandparents day, as her grandparents live at the other end of the country!)

TheFallenMadonna Wed 12-Oct-11 18:30:05

I wouldn't be able to go no matter how much notice was given. Teacher.

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 12-Oct-11 18:30:28

furious and in bits - shock

I can see that it's a disappointment but it's hardly the outbreak of rampant ebola fever and the mass dropping dead of humanity is it? What should the school do in order to accommodate working parents?

Reality Wed 12-Oct-11 18:30:34

lec0rnsillk Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:10

why lol at emailing MP? That's what they are there for and they can be very helpful with local educational matters. OP and other parents has already asked the school to make this accessible to working parents (which they have an obligation to do) and they have ignored them and gone ahead anyway.

Reality Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:26

seeker Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:49

We also have parent volunteers to help on days like this- could you suggest that?

lec0rnsillk Wed 12-Oct-11 18:33:55

...<have> already asked school...

Feenie Wed 12-Oct-11 18:34:47

It's nice for the children and it's nice for the parents, and with enough notice, I'm sure working parents could get something sorted.

Really? Who would teach my class then, slavetofilofax?

Yama Wed 12-Oct-11 18:34:50

If parents are teachers (like op's friend) then it doesn't matter how much notice is given - they won't be able to go.

YANBU.

Nor sure why contacting MP is 'lol' worthy. Hosting events which are not inclusive is a political issue. Certainly is in Scotland anyway.

LydiaWickham Wed 12-Oct-11 18:35:46

It's unfair that the other children just didn't get to join in, they should have been arranged in groups and taken round by classroom assistants/parent volunteers.

Bue Wed 12-Oct-11 18:35:54

I think this is shocking. Why can't they find out how many parents can volunteer, and then put all the children into small groups with those parents who can make it? Parent / child still get time together and no one has to miss out.

Good point about the staff - presumably many of them are WP too (in a non-flexible job, too) and wouldn't be able to participate if their child's school did something like this? confused

Reality Wed 12-Oct-11 18:35:54

BatsUpMeNightie Wed 12-Oct-11 18:35:57

I can't help wondering what on earth said 9 year old is going to do when something really bad happens. In bits my arse! That's down to the parent to make sure the child doesn't overreact in such a dramatic way!

babycham42 Wed 12-Oct-11 18:36:43

I absolutely agree with others when they say it's a matter of notice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now