Talk

Advanced search

To not be okay with friend letting DD going out alone & cannabis plants in garden?

(12 Posts)
BoobleBeeb Wed 12-Oct-11 12:56:30

DD has just turned 6 and went to a friends house, the mum who is a friend of mine let my DD and her DD go to the shop at the end of her street alone, I don't let DD do this as I thin kshe is too young have only just turned 6.

They also have 3 huge cannabis plants growing in their garden which I only noticed when I went to collect her, I hae no problem if they want to smoke it but worried DD might try and nibble the leaves as she does this in our garden with mint.

Aibu and a bit up tight?!

BoobleBeeb Wed 12-Oct-11 12:57:13

Sorry 'having only just turned 6'

shadylane Wed 12-Oct-11 12:59:44

I'm not completely sure but I think cannibis leaves are pretty harmless- but I could be wrong- I think they need to have something done to them or maybe it's the male or female plant or something...
But I think you should tell her you don't want your six year old going to the shop without an adult.

Nixea Wed 12-Oct-11 13:00:54

Are you absolutely sure they are marijuana plants? I only ask because there are quite a few plants that look very similar - including many types of tomato!

Nixea Wed 12-Oct-11 13:02:13

As for going to the shops, YANBU. Have a quite chat and just explain that you're not comfortable with them going unsupervised. If she let her DD do it it probably never occured to her that you wouldn't like it. Hopefully she'll respect that.

I didn't realise you could grow cannabis outside. I thought it required a hot house and lots of humidity. You always read that in the paper about growing houses and the massive electricity consumption etc. However, a quick google tells me you can shock who knew?!

So they have cannabis plants growing happily in the garden and nobody has ever noticed? They've been very lucky. That's very blatant, isn't it?

Is she a responsible person, is the big question
I think if you are worried that she is not capable of keeping your daughter safe - then don't let her go
If she simply has different ideas - ie thinks 6 is old enough to go down to the end of the street alone - then tell her you don't want your daughter to.

Do you think she is likely to let the children play with these plants?

mrskeithlemon Wed 12-Oct-11 13:09:34

yabu. Eating a cannabis plant wouldn't do anything - but you really shouldn't encourage your dd to nibble at plants in the garden, there could be all sorts on the leaves and not to mention that one day she may nibble at something poisonous.

Does she have to cross a road to get to the shops at the end of the street?>

DontGoCurly Wed 12-Oct-11 13:14:12

Are you in the UK ?

Cannibas plants wouldn't survive outdoors in October! They might be tomato plants? They look sort of similar!

going Wed 12-Oct-11 13:14:57

Many people have plants which are poisionous to eat, your daughter needs to know she has to ask before eating any plant.

YANBU to not want her to go to the shop, tell the mum you aren't happy about it.

HeadlessForHocusPocus Wed 12-Oct-11 13:15:34

I agree with mrskeithlemon, there are other plants I would be far more worried about one of my dcs eating.

If they don't have to cross a road and it isn't very far I would be okay with the shop thing, but she really should have checked with you.

squeakytoy Wed 12-Oct-11 13:18:05

There are a lot of plants which look very similar to cannabis plants.. and bird seed contains the seeds of hemp too quite often.

I doubt very much they are growing cannabis in their garden purposely!

At 6, a child should be capable of walking down the street to the shop on their own.

And I would also have thought a 6 year old child be sensible enough not to nibble ANYTHING that is growing in a garden... there are a lot worse things than a cannabis leaf that could poison her.

QuintessentialDead Wed 12-Oct-11 13:18:24

You should be teaching your dd that she cannot eat anything in nature without checking with an adult that it is ok!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now