Talk

Advanced search

in thinking this product is so incredibly depressing?

(57 Posts)
Nixea Wed 12-Oct-11 11:58:01

www.amazon.co.uk/Kid-E-Fit-Cycle/dp/B001935RTG/ref=sr_1_8?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1318416936&sr=1-8

What ever happened to just going outside for a ride?

mrskeithlemon Wed 12-Oct-11 12:00:29

YANBU

TheBolter Wed 12-Oct-11 12:02:36

Som people may not be able to take their children out for a ride - I guess you are speaking from the luxurious standpoint of having no health condition, and plenty of open, safe spaces around you in which your children can ride a bike freely!

Ooopsadaisy Wed 12-Oct-11 12:03:43

I am in danger of sounding like my poor old Grandpa (God rest his wonderful soul) here but -

"What is the world coming to?"

MissWooWoo Wed 12-Oct-11 12:06:03

but what's wrong with dancing around the room to 'expel energy' for those times when you can't get out?

KatAndKit Wed 12-Oct-11 12:06:28

Yes, of course some people might not be able to go out for a ride etc etc

But seriously, exercise bikes for children??

notso Wed 12-Oct-11 12:06:32

They have those in the infants gym in DS's school.

I used to love going on my Grandpas exercise bike when I was little.

mummytotwoboys Wed 12-Oct-11 12:07:02

Well at least they can be exercising when i park them in front of cbeebies to go on MN grin . I think YAB a bit U as some people arent able to take their 4 year old out for a bike ride. So although I probably wouldnt buy it, I can see the market for it.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Wed 12-Oct-11 12:15:49

The problem is that exercise bikes are boring, which is why so many end up covered in clothes. Adults only discipline themselves to use them as an exercise tool. They're not fun.

I don't see how they're an alternative for children to going outside on a bike. There are other things to do if going out on a bike isn't practical. I just can't imagine many children wanting to use one of these at home!

KatAndKit Wed 12-Oct-11 12:21:07

It just gives the idea to kids that keeping fit is a chore. There are lots of fun things you can do if you can't get outside on a bike. Get them a Wii instead if there is nowhere to play out and do Just Dance or something more exciting than just pedalling to nowhere!

DreamsOfScream Wed 12-Oct-11 12:27:50

When I occasionaly use my exercise bike my toddler would like to have one of his own, he currentlysits on his trike. having said that I wouldn't be paying out that much money so he can have one!

TheLadyEvenstar Wed 12-Oct-11 12:28:05

for those who don't walk?

???

how much is too much?

But on the other hand if you have a child who has weight issues and can't run around as much as others surely these are a good thing?

TheBride Wed 12-Oct-11 12:30:42

You could rig it up to the TV so they can only watch Cbeebies if they pedal.

KatAndKit Wed 12-Oct-11 12:30:48

Bloody Nora I bet there is someone with more money than sense who has got the entire range and created a special kiddy gym in their house.
Just take them to the park or something!!!

Laquitar Wed 12-Oct-11 12:35:19

Exercise at this age should be fun, not a boring task and not as a reward/punishment imo.

Chandon Wed 12-Oct-11 12:36:20

Bolter, that is just SUCH a typical MN reaction, it's almost predictable...

Firawla Wed 12-Oct-11 12:39:01

i dont think its that bad, some children might enjoy it?? i used to like playing on my mums adult sized exercise bike when i was little. i have seen worse products than this. if they dont live near any parks and dont have a garden, and the child wants a bike, maybe some people buy it cos of that.

Laquitar Wed 12-Oct-11 12:40:58

grin Chandon.

I'm expecting links about diabetes aswell and people who will say 'well everything that prevents them from being fat is good'.

happybubblebrain Wed 12-Oct-11 12:43:30

That's awful.

Nixea Wed 12-Oct-11 12:47:01

"There are other things to do if going out on a bike isn't practical. I just can't imagine many children wanting to use one of these at home!"

I guess that was the point of view I was trying to get at. But it's nice to see that I have a "luxurious standpoint" for thinking that! >.<

Makiko Wed 12-Oct-11 12:56:10

Message withdrawn

MMQC Wed 12-Oct-11 12:57:59

Surely it's about imitating what adults do, not actually for keep fit purposes. In the same way you can buy toy irons and chainsaws, now they can pretend to be mummy or daddy going to the gym.

looblylu Wed 12-Oct-11 13:04:59

I used to have an exercise bike at home which O used daily. At the time DD was only 2 so just didnt care.
However if the same scenario was now (shes 5) she'd be DESPERATE to join in and i can see this being useful!
Mind you...i wouldnt fork out that much for one...

OTheHugeWerewolef Wed 12-Oct-11 13:27:22

grin at Chandon.

I think that's an excellent idea: child must pedal the bike if it wants to watch CBeebies. Result: child burns off energy, can't follow you around hassling you while you're trying to do something else, and stays silent because distracted by telly.

What's not to like? wink

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 12-Oct-11 13:35:46

I have to say in principal i totally agree with you OP, however i have a ds 8 who has a physical disability as well as other SPLD. The prognosis for him is not good, probably be in a wheelchair by the time he is 20-25. We have been told that we might be able to slow this process down, and one activity that is good for him is riding a bike, now he can't and likely never to be able to do this. He can however use my mothers exercise bike. It has been recommended to us that we invest in a n exercise bike for him.

We haven't as yet but what would you do in my circumstances? woudl yuo purchase the bike adn let him use it for a short amount of time each day (starting with 2 mins). or just let the condition take complete hold of him and let him be reliant on a whhelchair for activities?

I suppose my point is, yes it is ridiculous but it also has its uses. Please don't judge others, because even if you met my son his disabilities are 'hidden' and i don't make a big thing about explaining to people who judge me why i made the choices i have made in relation to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now