Talk

Advanced search

to break down in tears because our neighbour has had scaffolding put up that...

(118 Posts)
addictediam Wed 12-Oct-11 11:47:46

Blocks our satilite signal.
Dd is 11 months old, I am 24 weeks pregnant and suffering with an undiagnosed condition that currently comes under cfs until I have this baby and more tests can be done.

What am I going to do without cbeebies for 4 weeks?

I know there are more important things going on in the world, and I can cope missing a few tv programs for a few weeks but I NEED cbeebies to keep me sane sad

We don't get free view signal and only have a freesat box, annologe has already been turned off.

What can I do?

loveglove Wed 12-Oct-11 11:48:57

online?

loveglove Wed 12-Oct-11 11:50:01

www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/

watfordmummy Wed 12-Oct-11 11:50:58

The satellite compnay will alter your disc, just phone them and tell them

ClaimedByMe Wed 12-Oct-11 11:51:13

Dvds?

BertieBotts Wed 12-Oct-11 11:51:26

Yes, online. Or DVDs. Do you have any kind of games console which can access the internet? Or do you have a new-ish computer? (Some graphics cards can be connected to a TV as a second screen - we do this to watch iPlayer, and DS currently has Thomas videos on youtube while I'm MNing.)

Hulababy Wed 12-Oct-11 11:52:15

Have you told the neighbpours? Maybe the company can readjust the scaffolding so it is not blocked.

Or try phoning the satelittle company and ask them if it can be realigned. Sometimes this is possible, but not always.

How long will the scaffolding be up?

addictediam Wed 12-Oct-11 11:53:12

The laptop is dh's work one, our computer is so old it struggles on the internet and just crashes, I use my phone to post on here, but can't watch iplayer or YouTube on it.

BedHog Wed 12-Oct-11 11:54:33

I'd speak to the neighbour, as they probably don't realise they are blocking your signal. Maybe they could rearrange the scaffolding or move your dish for you.

You could view cbeebies online, but then you won't be able to Mumsnet while your DD is hogging the computer.

Grammaticus Wed 12-Oct-11 11:56:24

Just put. DVD on, it will make no difference to a child that age.

addictediam Wed 12-Oct-11 11:56:45

The scaffolding company just left, he said there wasn't anything he could do. Its going to be up for 4 weeks.

I don't have a satilite company to phone, its just a freesat box. I guess I'm going to have to buy some dvds. It's just an expense we can't afford right now.

ClaimedByMe Wed 12-Oct-11 11:58:28

Join the library and get dvds from there?

GuillotinedMaryLacey Wed 12-Oct-11 11:58:35

That's not good enough. Why should you put up with a convenience in your own home for your neighbour's sake? I don't see why you should have to fork out for dvds because of something your neighbour is doing.

misskelly Wed 12-Oct-11 11:58:38

Have you got a Wii? You can connect it to your internet and watch BBC iplayer on it.

AuntieDoris Wed 12-Oct-11 11:58:49

Your local library might have DVDs you can borrow.

Tinkerisdead Wed 12-Oct-11 11:59:31

Rent dvds from the library. There are loads with justin fletcher or the milkshake channel 5 shows. You can have them for a week for about a quid!

Hulababy Wed 12-Oct-11 11:59:37

Can they just do that though? Block off your signal and then just leave you with no tv for a month? TBH I'd be really cross. Not least because it would mean I was paying out money to Sky (or whoever) and not being able to recieve the service I was paying for - so a waste of goodness knows how much we pay.

Have you spoken to the neighbour directly? How do they feel about it?

addictediam Wed 12-Oct-11 12:00:10

The neighbour is at work till this evening. I'll mention it to her when she gets home and she what she thinks, but I can't see what she can do. The scaffolding wraps around her house in order not to block the signal she would need to take down half of the scaffolding that in around the back.

Tinkerisdead Wed 12-Oct-11 12:00:25

Ooo crossed posts grin

Hulababy Wed 12-Oct-11 12:00:55

Is it for essential work?

worraliberty Wed 12-Oct-11 12:01:42

Tears? Seriously?

I know the TV can give us all a well deserved break from the kids, but really I don't think you should be relying on it enough to burst into tears.

BettyCash Wed 12-Oct-11 12:03:00

worraliberty 24wks preg may have something to do with it hmm

Hulababy Wed 12-Oct-11 12:03:15

A month with no TV though?

I don't even watch that much TV but I'd still be not happy over it.

Blacksquirrel Wed 12-Oct-11 12:03:48

I have found Blockbuster to be much cheaper for dvd rental than the library. You can normally get 5 for 5 nights for £5 on kids films. My library charge £3 a week per dvd!

bintofbohemia Wed 12-Oct-11 12:05:18

I'm not pregnant and I'd be pretty gutted if someone else's work meant I had to go without tv for a month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now