Talk

Advanced search

in askin ds to play near the house since there has been two near attempted abductions in the area

(121 Posts)
ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:15:56

don't want to scare the crap out of him but as he and his friends usually play on their bikes/scooters after school I am worried
he's asking awkward questions like-
why would a person want to steal a child?

school have also talked vaguely about stranger danger since the first attempt was reported
another attempt last evening , so have told him he needs to play in garden after school
Am i being hysterical?

AmberLeaf Wed 12-Oct-11 08:20:04

How old is he?

HowToLookGoodGlaikit Wed 12-Oct-11 08:21:53

Where did you hear about the near abductions? If it was on FB, please note its probably false! I hope it was from the police themselves?

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:28:56

yr4 9 yrs

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:30:13

Heard about one on radio last night
other by txt, so was wary of that one
just dropped him at school and there are police patrolling the area

ScarahStratton Wed 12-Oct-11 08:30:48

Agree, first thing is to establish if these are genuine or FB crap. If it's rumours then I'd ignore it, if it's bona fide from the police I would take it seriously. Was it boys or girls involved?

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:35:10

first was a boy , don't know age
last nights was a yr 6 girl ,as reported on radio

altinkum Wed 12-Oct-11 08:37:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:40:48

yup police at school gates

altinkum Wed 12-Oct-11 08:41:53

ScarahStratton Wed 12-Oct-11 08:41:54

I'd take it seriously then, and I would want him in my sight. That's awful altinkum sad

slartybartfast Wed 12-Oct-11 08:43:16

he is is under 5 i would have him nearby anyway

slartybartfast Wed 12-Oct-11 08:43:47

oops, i read it is 4 years 9 months. blush

lesley33 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:44:00

I would contact the police and find out if the reports of attempted abductions are true. Unfortunately reports in media such as radio aren't always true.

If it is true YANBU. Maybe encourage him to stay with friends and not go off on his own - even if he is close to home. I don't know if there are any story books that may deal with issue of child abductions in a clear and non scary as it can be way?

Bossybritches22 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:45:20

YANBU - only takes a few seconds as we all know.

Probably more help to tell DC he must s

lesley33 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:45:24

I'm not sure what I would say in response to the question as to why anyone would want to steal a child tbh!

Bossybritches22 Wed 12-Oct-11 08:46:34

Booger premature posting.....

tell DC he must stay with the group, get the other mums to say the same no going off alone.

Worrying for you all sad

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:47:01

am in south ,new forest area

slartybartfast Wed 12-Oct-11 08:47:11

reiterate Stranger danger awareness in him.
the nights will be getting darker earlier soon.

seeker Wed 12-Oct-11 08:48:06

Contact the police and ask about it. These stories are always either scaremongering or some sort of domestic dispute. Honestly.

Oh and how do we "all know" it only takes a few seconds? When did it happen last?

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:49:37

yes in a way I am relieved the nights are getting darker because he's not allowed out to play after dark
so good excuse to have him inside ..and safe
will tell him to stick together
play close to our house or friends

Ellefabulosa Wed 12-Oct-11 08:50:02

I would insist they play in the garden or house or stay outside yourself and supervise- you just can't take any chances whether he likes it or not.

ggirl Wed 12-Oct-11 08:51:02

never called the police before
just call the local station??
they'll be inundated won't they

catsareevil Wed 12-Oct-11 08:52:00

I agree, find out if this is true. This kind of thin is incredibly rare, and would be taken really seriously by the police if genuine. Most of there stories are not genuine.

You must have already explained about strangers to your DS if he is playing out alone. In response to the question about why anyone would want to steal a child I would answer along the lines of 'not everyone is nice, and that is why it is important to only go places with people that we have said you can'

altinkum Wed 12-Oct-11 08:53:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now