Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tell me what to do please?

(16 Posts)
BackToB4Beatrice Tue 11-Oct-11 21:55:08

We are all sick with a cold. DD (2) will NOT go to sleep. She is in her cot crying. I have offered for her to fall asleep in our bed, with m, but she is up and down, playing and not settling.

She is up to date with Calpol.
It took a while to get her to fall asleep in her cot anyway, as opposed to our bed, a year or so back. I really don't want to have to re-do all that work again. Although I feel for her as she is full of cold, she didn't want to go to sleep in my bed anyway.

I feel shit and just don't know what to do with her. I can't sleep as she is crying, if I bring her downstairs she perks up and is then awake fore the long haul.

I hate colds. Such small things do so much damage....sad

whomovedmychocolate Tue 11-Oct-11 21:57:34

Remember that colds pass in about 48 hours. That's probably the best you can do. You can also try a bowl of boiling water with olbas oil in it in her bedroom, and raising one end of her cot. She is better when she's upright you see.

Hope you all feel better soon. smile

Branno Tue 11-Oct-11 22:01:27

hop into the bath with her for 20 mins. Or bring her with you into the kitchen to make and drink a cocoa - bet she will go down then. Give 20mins to gain a night!!

Pishtushette Tue 11-Oct-11 22:02:02

DD (22 months) has just had a really bad cold so I know how you feel. In addition to what whomo said, the nasal saline spray is quite good and baby vapour rub on the back, chest and feet.

We had 3 nights with very little sleep and then caught the cold because DD was in with us.

Bubbaluv Tue 11-Oct-11 22:07:13

Whomovedmychololate 48 Hours!?? I've never had a cold that short! I would have said 5-7 days was getting off really lightly. Normally at that point (in my family) a secondary bacterial infection develops and drags it out for another couple of weeks.

I HATE colds!

OP, can you get some of the Kids Vicks Vaporub? Can't remember what age they recommend it from but it really soes provide some relief. Interspersing Calpol with some Neurofen can also work well - just make sure you give her some food/milk with the Neurofen.
Poor little possum.

DirtyBat Tue 11-Oct-11 22:19:39

You can get Calrub which is similar to Vicks, suitable from 6months.

wizzler Tue 11-Oct-11 22:26:02

I used to offer to stay in the same room as DS if he stopped crying and laid down, but tell him I didnt want to stay in a room where someone was crying. Then I used to settle down in a reasonably comfy spot in his room where he could see me, and avoid eye contact... any playing up then I would leave until he was prepared to lie down quietly .

Hope this helps, it worked for me but then if you both feel unwell then maybe neither of you are up to mind games!

Hope you all recover soon

whomovedmychocolate Tue 11-Oct-11 22:28:48

Blimey we must be superfit then - only the flu has laid us out for more than 48 hours Bubbaluv! wink

BackToB4Beatrice Tue 11-Oct-11 22:29:37

Thanks everyone. Have cuddled her to sleep in our bed and left her there for a little while. Will try to move her back to her cot, as me and DH are so bunged up, our snoring is bound to wake her!

She just seems to be able to survive on so little sleep. Especially when she is having little exercise (I have been just "surviving", laying on sofa eating chocolate cookies for two days, we are all SO poorly!).

Am just dreading getting her back to sleep after this cold now. I hate being inconsistent with her, but also can't leave her to cry herself to sleep if she's ill.

Anyway, let's hope tomorrow is a better day grin

BoastingByStealth Tue 11-Oct-11 22:31:50

Oh, I really feel for you, it's AWFUL when babies are feeling poorly. I agree with others, Vick on the back and chest, olbas oil on a hanky under the pillow.

I lay down with my DS (3) when he's feeling rough, and pamper him until he drops off. It makes us both feel better.

Then the following day he tells me he's not better yet so I will lie down with him again grin

cottonreels Tue 11-Oct-11 22:43:52

I sometimes bore my 2 year old to sleep. I start by telling her a long boring list of who loves her..Auntie Marjorie loves you, Uncle Phillip loves you...basically anyone ive ever met makes the list. Keep a glass of water with you though - it takes a while smile

Bubbaluv Wed 12-Oct-11 00:13:34

You must have a constituition of steel WhoMovedMyChocolate!! It's not just me - I googled it and the consensus seems to be that the common cold ususally abates within 7-10 days!

You had me wondering if my family had supressed immune systems - no, we're normal - you lots are freaks!! grin

Bubbaluv Wed 12-Oct-11 00:16:47

CottonReels - I do the X loves you list too! DS2 LOVES it and adds to it as we go.

SazZaVoom Wed 12-Oct-11 00:18:34

Olbas oil usually works a treat here for breathing

startail Wed 12-Oct-11 00:29:26

If she'll drink it and 2 is a bit small, warm Ribenna is brilliant for coughs and binges up noses. Has to be the real branded expensive sugary kind to work best, but anything hot and fruity helps. Sadly far too much experience of coughing myself stupid for weeks every winter.

startail Wed 12-Oct-11 00:30:41

That left the keyboard saying bunged up noses. iPodsbiscuit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now