Talk

Advanced search

to think there are too many cats in the city and people should THINK before getting one?

(92 Posts)
phlossie Tue 11-Oct-11 16:16:19

Disclaimer: 1. I like cats 2. I would never really do a cat any harm (but I can fantasise...)

I live in a city suburb in a terraced house on a street lined on either side with terraced houses, and our row of terraces backs onto another similar row - and it's like this for miles. When we moved in, we have gravel in our garden, which we (well dh) laboured to remove and replace with soil and then turf. Why? Because the gravel was a cat litter tray.

Problem is, the cats now shit on our grass. In plain sight. Unburied. I can't let the children go outside without clearing it up first, and I can't put our guinea pigs on the grass. I'm pregnant, so less keen on cat poo than ever (actually made me puke the other week). It makes me really angry!

Now dog poo on the pavement is disguisting, but that's down to the owners. And all other animals live within their owner's houses and gardens, but cats wander - and they like pooing in other people's gardens.

We've tried the usual deterrants - my DH even went through a phase of peeing in the garden himself! But I find myself wanting to shoot them with a pellet gun, or put down broken glass (I wouldn't, don't call the RSPCA).

I effing hate them. They ruin our garden. And I think people who get a cat when every other fecker in the street has one are thoughtless. I've even heard cat owners say 'ha, well they don't poo in our garden - they go next door!' Bastards!

Unreasonable, me? No.

BTW - if you have any good ideas about how to deter them, please tell me.

peggotty Tue 11-Oct-11 16:18:41

Ohhhhh dear god, please not another cat hating thread. Well it's been a week or two, I suppose we're due one hmm.

I have this problem in my front garden. Luckily, I have a wonderful neighbour (owner of the cats) who clears up the poo regularly. I have tried to deter the moggies with orange peel, bottles of water, rose prunings scattered about and lion poo (I live near a zoo, I'm not actually crackers). None made a blind bit of difference. So now I have a dog <mwahahahahahahaha>....The dog ignores the cats and they shit in front of him, mockingly.

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 16:20:48

Well I'm not a cat lover either and next door's cat used to come a shite in my garden too. What I did was throw pepper over everywhere, they don't like that at all grin

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 16:21:04

"and" shite!

RedRubyBlue Tue 11-Oct-11 16:21:59

With you peggoty with you all the way on this one.

HalfTermHero Tue 11-Oct-11 16:22:43

Get a water pistol super soaker type thing. It might discourage a few of them meaning less shit overall.

worraliberty Tue 11-Oct-11 16:23:56

Jesus H Christ!

Cats shit
Foxes shit
Birds shit
Squirrels shit

Just get over it! If we didn't have toilets we'd have to shit outside too!

It's a fact of life. Wear some gloves, clean it up and teach your kids to avoid it.

< Mutters something about what would certain people be like if they had a real problem >

halcyondays Tue 11-Oct-11 16:24:12

If someone want a cat, why would they not get one just because lots of other people in the street have them? confused

Have never heard of having your dh pee in the garden as a deterrant.

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 16:24:41

With you phlossie, with you all the way. wink I love cat hating threads.

ScaredBear Tue 11-Oct-11 16:24:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

phlossie Tue 11-Oct-11 16:25:13

Oh whoops peggoty - first time on AIBU. Always good to know I'm not original grin - but at least I know I'm not being unreasonable...

peggotty Tue 11-Oct-11 16:25:37

'I like cats' 'I effing hate them'. Make your mind up.

eurochick Tue 11-Oct-11 16:26:00

Get a dog. That'll sort out the problem.

No need to thank me....

ScaredBear Tue 11-Oct-11 16:26:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 16:26:53

When bloody cats shite in your garden you'd try almost anything to deter them believe me. Probably a "scent" experiment halcyondays. Oh and I also get them bloody spraying all up my back door. Grrrrrr

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Tue 11-Oct-11 16:29:09

Get some Lion Poo. It comes from many Zoos...it's dried...cats; hate it.

phlossie Tue 11-Oct-11 16:29:11

I don't love or loathe them per se. I effing hate them shitting on my grass.

Wurg Tue 11-Oct-11 16:30:21

This keeps coming up because it is a big deal to people whose gardens are being used as cat lavs. It's fucking horrible, especially when the cats in question have frequent diarrhoea.

We had two new turds every morning until, having thrown away a pair of DS's shoes because I could not get the smell out, the cats got a bucket of water thrown at them every time we saw them in our garden.

It only took a couple of soakings before they got the message.

RedRubyBlue Tue 11-Oct-11 16:30:35

Phlossie

It is just that everytime someone starts a cat hating thread there is a particularly nasty Mner who always adds a post of how to kill a cat in a peculiar and very nasty/painful way and thank god MNHQ usually delete it.

Just waiting for that person to pop up on here.

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 16:30:45

Can't always have super duper problems Worraliberty.

phlossie Tue 11-Oct-11 16:31:53

Thanks, Wurg. It is a big deal - especially if you have a tiny garden.

gordyslovesheep Tue 11-Oct-11 16:34:17

oh it's poo - just a bir of poo -not as if they are throwing anthrax around your house

whomovedmychocolate Tue 11-Oct-11 16:35:52

Have you considered a sprinkler? They are very effective at making the cats sod off.

Alternatively, if you don't mind them being there but just hate the turds, plant some catmint in the middle of the lawn, they love the smell but get completely off their faces before wandering off. They then shit in your neighbour's garden but ho hum.

FYI terraced houses have a greater preponderance of cats because the gardens tend not to be big enough for a dog to exercise in it. smile

I love my cat. He is a shit though, constantly killing things and pooping in builder's sandbags.

ThingsThatGoFlumpInTheNight Tue 11-Oct-11 16:37:34

I'm with you OP

We don't have a cat or dog, partly because I thought it would be nice to have a garden which wasn't full of animal crap which I had to clean up before my children could venture out in their own garden for a play. But I didn't consider the fact that I would still be clearing up ^other peoples'* cat poo angry

And worra how do you propose I teach my children and my nieces/nephews to avoid cat poo in a half an acre garden which they like to use to cycle around/run around/ play in and the youngest is only 2 anyway? confused.

I wouldn't hurt an animal either, but I do attack any cats in our garden with a super soaker when I see them. But they still don't seem to get the hint. I also throw the cat poo back over the hedge into the cat owner's garden - after all it is their property smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now