Talk

Advanced search

to be shouting at this couple dont do it?

(20 Posts)
wineoclocktimeyet Tue 11-Oct-11 10:26:47

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/euromillions-101m-winners-public-074333839.html

wineoclocktimeyet Tue 11-Oct-11 10:29:11

Sorry: text below:

A couple from Cambridgeshire who won Friday's £101m Euromillions jackpot will be named this afternoon.

The pair were the only winners of the draw and have claimed the UK's third biggest lottery prize.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 11-Oct-11 10:36:08

YANBU. Can't imagine why anyone would want to go public about that kind of cash. Still... if they're reading this and feel like sharing... my sort code is 11-09-88 and my account number is....

ClartyScutter Tue 11-Oct-11 10:37:55

i think i'd rather go public then pay someone to 'hide' me than have the whole country (ok, a few people) speculate over my good luck forever and a day tbh.

MollyintheMoon Tue 11-Oct-11 10:38:33

I think it's better to come 'out' yourself rather than being found out by journo's. Sadly I've no experience myself. sad

rubyrubyruby Tue 11-Oct-11 10:40:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnyPhantomFucker Tue 11-Oct-11 10:42:06

it's me, btw

just thought I would give you the skinny before this afternoon...

BeyondLimitsOfTheLivingDead Tue 11-Oct-11 10:45:20

not fucking corpses anymore AF ? grin

AnyPhantomFucker Tue 11-Oct-11 10:46:17

No, I went off that one

Even I have limits wink

TheRealMrsHannigan Tue 11-Oct-11 10:47:34

I wouldnt go public. I'd lie low for a little while then move away from my area, and expect family and friends to keep it zipped if they wanted a dime from me

notso Tue 11-Oct-11 10:49:57

DH and I were discussing if we would go public and we decided we would wearing matching Anoraks or perhaps those Wolf fleeces and tell the journo's we were going to spend the money on either our brown paper and banana sticker collection or on our Dogs.

Bossybritches22 Tue 11-Oct-11 10:50:54

First thing I would do with that sort of money is get a PA/secretary & either delegate an area of the house/garage/garden shed to begging letters, or hire a little office somewhere.

Worth every penny for the lack of hassle. grin

diddl Tue 11-Oct-11 10:51:09

You can probably keep it hidden if you don´t make any big spends & have plausible explanations.

OddBoots Tue 11-Oct-11 10:54:31

I think I would tell friends and family that I'd won in the normal lottery (once a jackpot of the right kind of size, say £5-6m had been won) just to explain the spending etc but over £100m is the kind of amount where I'd be worried aout loved ones being kidnapped.

notveryinventive Tue 11-Oct-11 10:57:29

Id want to tell people so all the people from my past who are in the past for a reason come begging I can tell them where to do grin

hermionestranger Tue 11-Oct-11 11:01:05

As I said last week, I know someone who was part of a winning syndicate. going public is to do with if you want to take the financial advice from Camelot or not. If you want their help you have to go public. So if you really were unsure about where to get reliable advice then you have no choice. Simples.

WinterIsComing Tue 11-Oct-11 11:11:14

Wouldn't a reasonably intelligent person know how to hire someone to keep them out of the papers and where to find lawyers to make sure it happens and challenge it if it doesn't?

Difficult though, since the press speculation is going to be immediate and possibly before you've even got the money...

As I've said before I'd probably have contracts out on drawn up with potential troublemakers but there's no way I'd want my family put at risk. I wonder if it's even legal for the papers to do that to children without the permission of their parents.

IShallWearMidnight Tue 11-Oct-11 11:13:51

is it not part of the T&C for the Euromillions that you have to go public? Unlike the national Lottery where you have the option to not say who you are.

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Tue 11-Oct-11 11:15:59

not part of tht t&c afaik
but to be honest better to go to the press than to sit and wait for the press to come to you.

WinterIsComing Tue 11-Oct-11 11:19:09

I dunno. Mumsnet being useful for and to be consulted on all things a quick PM to Xenia offering a finders' fee might solve the problem grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now