Talk

Advanced search

to want to SCREAM?

(10 Posts)
Anna1976 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:25:58

tell me your parents' irritating habits. My mother resents everything about me, always has. I am at "home" on a lovely family visit.

I have just offered to cook dinner and said I will do it when i finish some work. So she goes into the kitchen and starts slamming things around and huffing and puffing that her cooking isn't good enough and she'll end up having to do it anyway because I'm too important and too busy with my career. I said politely and reasonably that she had no basis to say that and I would do it if I could have half an hour to concentrate on the work I'm doing. So she has spent the last 25 minutes walking back and forth moving the ironing and the ironing board to a new location as close to me as possible and huffing and puffing about how SHE has to do IRONING while SOME people are JUST TOO IMPORTANT TO NOTICE THINGS LIKE IRONED CLOTHES.

No Mum, I don't notice your ironed clothes. I wash and iron my own. I have been doing so since i was 5. I will cook your dinner in a second.

Just let me slit my own throat first...........

sunnydelight Tue 11-Oct-11 08:27:59

Vodka, large?

Anna1976 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:28:26

please. grin

belgo Tue 11-Oct-11 08:28:31

Can you take the laptop and finish work in a cafe for example? Anything to get away from her?

sunnydelight Tue 11-Oct-11 08:28:42

Oops, sorry - just realised it's morning with you, it would be a reasonable suggestion in this time zone grin

belgo Tue 11-Oct-11 08:29:11

grin

Grumpla Tue 11-Oct-11 08:31:24

Sounds like a reasonable suggestion anyway...

Anna1976 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:33:42

no cafes round my parents'. Probably because the entire suburb is full of people like them.... too busy ironing and catting about people behind their backs to have a coffee with friends... upstanding types very sure of the decisions they made in life, just a wee bit lacking in empathy, with all the resentment swept under the carpet almost all the time...

until they are confronted by some monster they brought up who has a life that involves self-efficacy and agency and the ability to make informed decisions because of the expensive education these upstanding parents lavished on me while seething under their breath about it all just not being fair....

i think i need a large red wine and they need a large fix of empathy, agency and relaxation...

hells1908 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:34:46

Baileys in a mug looks just like tea ;)

Anna1976 Tue 11-Oct-11 08:38:16

sunnydelight I think we're probably in similar timezones... definitely wine o'clock grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now