Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why no one boasts about weaning at 8 months because they had such a SMALL baby who slept through the nihgt and showed no interest in food?

(51 Posts)

I mean, statistically speaking, there'd be as many of those as there would be big babies who are begging for a roast dinner and sponge and custard at 14 weeks
Surely?

isthisweird Mon 10-Oct-11 21:43:50

What?

WoodBetweenTheWorlds Mon 10-Oct-11 21:44:58

confused

OK so my well researched, carefully worded OP is slightly confusing grin

People keep talking about how they needed to wean early because their baby was big and hungry.
Why do we not hear about people with small, not-particularly-hungry babies needing to wean (or being advised to wean) late?

mumofthreekids Mon 10-Oct-11 21:47:34

Two of the main reasons to wean at (or before) 6 months are due to not enough iron in breastmilk and introducing your baby to food textures etc. Not necessarily anything to do with size / sleeping habits.

BatsUpMeNightie Mon 10-Oct-11 21:47:40

What?

Kayano Mon 10-Oct-11 21:48:06

Bad form thread starting IMO
Get a life

isthisweird Mon 10-Oct-11 21:48:30

Are you back from your lie down polarbear? Do you feel better now? grin

Um, still not really much idea I'm afraid. Some people wean early and go on about it, and some people wean later and don't go on about it.

Is that the gist?

isthisweird Mon 10-Oct-11 21:49:24

Kayano - is it a thread about a thread? I am actually on an AIBU weaning thread right now and can't see the corellation between that one and this, too much confused

CardyMow Mon 10-Oct-11 21:50:13

<<Ahem>> DS2 wasn't weaned until 10mo. Because he was sleeping through the night, had muscle problems and couldn't even suck from a bottle before then, much less chew food. He wasn't 'small' but he wasn't big either. You don't get advised to wean late generally because of them needing iron - but in a case like DS2's, they get given iron drops until they are able to cope with food.

Probably because a HV told them 'ooh you must wean at 17 weeks, because he/she is so little'.

Depressingly.

Kayano Mon 10-Oct-11 21:51:04

Well I assume it is because large hungry babies were mentioned on the other thread and really...

Does AIBU need another thread about this?
Right now?
exasperated

isthisweird Mon 10-Oct-11 21:52:09

Ooh I can't keep up tonight.

I think I'll just stick with hurling insults about.

Cunt.

isthisweird Mon 10-Oct-11 21:52:53

Sorry, I'm in a strange mood tonight - that wasn't directed to anyone on this thread. I just thought I may manage to piss off one of the anti-swearing lot in the process of contributing nothing to the thread.

Reality Mon 10-Oct-11 21:53:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Mon 10-Oct-11 21:54:46

On most of the BLW threads you get people saying their baby didn't really eat much until 8/9/10 months and they didn't worry. (Or they did worry but rode it out and their baby is now fine and not still gumming things at 5 years old).

NotJustKangaskhan Mon 10-Oct-11 21:54:51

My average size at birth DS1 had no interest in food until after 8 months (when he promptly nicked a breadstick off the table and ate it). He's been making up for it ever since grin.

fedupandtired Mon 10-Oct-11 21:55:04

I had a small baby and weaned at 5 months (guidelines then 4-6 months) which was right for her at the time.

I then had a much bigger baby, guidelines changed, and I weaned at six months and even then she wasn't that interested in food. She loved her milk though!

Sorry, that wasn't what you wanted though was it!

trixymalixy Mon 10-Oct-11 21:56:50

I frequently say on these threads that DS wasn't interested in food until 9-10 months. He didn't sleep through until 18 months tho...

lostlady Mon 10-Oct-11 21:56:57

My baby wad big and hungry; not the slightest bit interested in early weaning, as nothing in the dorks could be as good as milk! FF, so no boasting there. Sure babies of all sizes are different and happy

SpectralHarrassmentPandaPop Mon 10-Oct-11 21:57:31

I started trying to wean ds at 6 months just cos I thought I should. He showed no interest until around 7 months though and was still sleeping through. He was 9 1/2 pound when born though so not exactly small.

Miette Mon 10-Oct-11 21:58:22

My daughter showed no interest in food until 8 months (although I certainly tried before then.) She slept through until 5 months and then stopped sleeping through as soon as i started trying to introduce purrees. She was fairly average sized.

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 21:58:28

DD was fricking enormous and weaned at 7 months weighing 26lbs. She was clearly thriving on milk alone.

Where do I fit, eh?

LaWeasel Mon 10-Oct-11 21:58:31

weelll... I weaned at 5 1/2mths, but DD didn't eat much until 10mths. And she was totally average sized.

Does that count?

Also I have no idea when the myth that big babies need solids is going to die out. It is even in all the NHS and healthy eating packs that sleep and size have sweet sod all to do with it.

"Alibabaandthe80nappies Mon 10-Oct-11 21:50:44
Probably because a HV told them 'ooh you must wean at 17 weeks, because he/she is so little'"

Oh I have no doubt. Just wonder why these professional people don't see the irony in advising weaning earlier "than average" when in fact all they're doing is dragging the "average" down, unless they also advise weaning later than average!

And yes, my DS barely ate anything until well over one, but from 6 months I was attempting to get himt o eat. It's what you do isn't it? IRL everyone has started weaning by 6 months. Everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now