Talk

Advanced search

to have been pissed off that I had to fold my buggy on the bus?

(135 Posts)
ScaredBear Mon 10-Oct-11 16:05:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Mon 10-Oct-11 16:11:46

You're being unreasonable. Some elderly people are doddery on their feet and sit at the front. That's where the buggy area is. If that is the case that they're unsteady, how exactly were they supposed to help you and why didn't you just fold the buggy up whilst you were waiting at the bus stop?

You're 22, not helpless. Whilst I sympathise and would say that you're not being unreasonable to wish you'd had some help, you're unreasonable to expect it. From reading posts here, anybody who goes within a yard of a mother and, heaven forbid, her child, can watch out.

LeoTheLateBloomer Mon 10-Oct-11 16:14:33

Were they elderly/disabled?

ScaredBear Mon 10-Oct-11 16:15:31

ScaredBear Mon 10-Oct-11 16:16:58

WoeIsMeAgain Mon 10-Oct-11 16:18:03

maybe they had problems with mobility

SenoritaViva Mon 10-Oct-11 16:18:09

It is always lovely to be offered help but people are not obliged to help you and using a bus with a buggy means you have to be prepared to fold it (whatever the reason).

They could have moved yes, but then they probably think 'well she can fold down the buggy'. i can see your point, as feeling pressured and harassed is hideous but since you don't know their personal circumstances (physical agility etc.) then I think you it's probably best to forget it and enjoy the rest of your day.

Bucharest Mon 10-Oct-11 16:18:34

Chuh! What's the world coming to eh? Why can't the elderly just do something useful like die?

Love the fact that your OP said this is not a buggy on bus tale and then lo and behold it was.

If the bus was empty, did it really give you such post traumatic stress to move an extra, what, 12 inches with your kid?

I do sympathise, wonder what he driver would have done if a wheelchair user had boarded the bus?

NinkyNonker Mon 10-Oct-11 16:19:23

I don't think yanbu. If they had have refused nicely or offered to help it may ha e softened the blow.

FeelMyWraith Mon 10-Oct-11 16:20:54

I'm having a buggy on the bus issue atm. I'm not brave enough to start a thread though. Maybe I should raise it on here. Could deflect some of the flak from you op? grin

GandTiceandacauldron Mon 10-Oct-11 16:21:23

In this case YANBU. They could have moved to the seat behind.
Some people like being awkward for the sake of it.

notso Mon 10-Oct-11 16:21:49

Sounds like they and the driver were being a bit grumpy.
However with a walking DC I would always fold up the buggy at the bus stop anyway.
When DD was a baby you had to fold up the buggy so think yourself lucky you can sometimes push straight on the bus!

PumpkinBones Mon 10-Oct-11 16:22:25

Wheelchairs always take precedence and rightly so, I have seen bus drivers ask older less mobile people to move to accomodate a wheelchair.

YABU. And you were quite rude yourself, muttering about them moving. No wonder they were muttering in return. And grin at "YOUTH? I am 22"

2BoysTooLoud Mon 10-Oct-11 16:22:38

Oh I don't know. I can understand the op's frustration. It does sound like an irritating situation and it is no fun getting hot and bothered collapsing push chairs/ controlling kids/ moving shopping etc. It is possible these 2 people were being a touch awkward!

DramaInPyjamas Mon 10-Oct-11 16:24:30

Agree with Bucharest

JeremyVile Mon 10-Oct-11 16:27:02

Course they should have moved.
Mobility clearly not an issue, theyre using public transport - they could certainly have stood taken a couple of steps and sat down on another seat.
Rude gits.

Rivenwithoutabingle Mon 10-Oct-11 16:27:11

UpsyDozy Mon 10-Oct-11 16:27:32

Agree with 2BoysTooLoud. The OP has already said she would have been happy to fold the buggy had the bus been busy. Sounds like they were 2 contrary old dodders looking to be awkward.

Faffalina Mon 10-Oct-11 16:28:14

Does sound a bit annoying OP.

nailak Mon 10-Oct-11 16:30:25

yanbu, i would have caused a scene

I don't think you are being unreasonable at all, but unfortunately some people travelling on buses are just miserable buggers (whether old or not) They should have moved. 'We were here first' is pretty lame tbh.

makachu Mon 10-Oct-11 16:34:36

I think they probably should have moved...or rather, they probably shouldn't have been sitting in the buggy/wheelchair space in the first place, how inconsiderate! How much space was there in the buggy space? There's usually enough room to have a buggy and someone on a foldy seat. I'd have been very tempted to push the buggy in anyway so that they'd just have to put up with being a bit squashed. Still though it's done now and there's no use getting riled up about it. I don't think people are willing enough to fold their buggies any more. There used to be hardly any buggy compatible buses and everyone had to fold them. Now where I live if it has to be folded up most people will just wait for the next bus even if it takes half an hour! Seems like a trend to have those great big enormous heavy bus buggies these days though. Not practical for public transport. IMHO, parents with toddlers should fold buggies on the bus so that parents with tiny babies who really can't fold practically can use the space. Ramble ramble.

lesley33 Mon 10-Oct-11 16:35:05

It sounds like they were just being awkward.

"Mobility clearly not an issue, theyre using public transport"
Oh come on! Walking is very different to being able to walk on a moving bus. I get the bus every day and there are sometimes elderly people who ask the driver not to start until they have sat down or call asking for the bus to stop, as they haven't got the balance or strength to walk in a moving bus.

mumofbumblebea Mon 10-Oct-11 16:35:22

i completely get this. i was told to fold my buggy up on a bus because a couple of old biddy's wouldn't move when my DD was a month old! i had to try to fold up the pram whilst holding her which believe me was not easy! i can imagine it would be hard to control a toddler whilst faffing with a buggy plus shopping bags and yes they should have moved to other allocated seats. in my case i wouldn't have minded if they were on their last legs but they had practically barged past me at the bus stop to get on the bus first and i could tell that they were both mobile (and if not i only needed one of them to move anyway). the best bit was when a old man who i would never have expected to give up his seat (was very shakey and stiff) turned to the old biddys when he was getting off the bus and told them that they should be ashamed of themselves! made my day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now