Talk

Advanced search

To be just a little bit annoyed?

(14 Posts)
EvilElizabethPonsonby Mon 10-Oct-11 14:24:56

I used to run a playgroup with a good friend, having run it for three years and with her eldest and my only child starting school, we decided it was time to call it a day and look for other people to take over. We spent some time trying to drum up volunteers to help with a view to take over, with little success.

Then, out of the blue, a couple I know offered (without me asking, as they had not attended the group for a couple of years) to take over the group. Great! I thought, good couple, good with kids etc and we did a handover. My friend still attends the group with her youngest so was able to help when the group was on etc. All so far so good.

They have made changes, which is their prerogative (not trying to get precious about that!), not all have been popular with the regular attendees, and have received negative feedback. There is some suggestion that the complainers were 'back-stabbing' rather than being seen as constructive criticism....

Yesterday my friend received a text from the couple stating that they were unhappy with the way things were going and that today would be the last day of the playgroup. She arrived this morning to find a note on the door saying that unless someone else took over with immediate effect, today would be the final playgroup day and that all the toys would be going to charity.

AIBU to just be more than a little pissed off with them? I don't think they have given it a proper go, I would never had handed it over if I thought this was going to happen. I could understand had they given it until christmas and then decided it wasn't for them, but to just give virtually no notice and declare it no more and that they would dispose of the toys has really got my goat.

So, vent over, AIBU?

WoeIsMeAgain Mon 10-Oct-11 14:27:27

you were happy to get it off your hands

not much to do with you now is it - if it packs up, it packs up

EvilElizabethPonsonby Mon 10-Oct-11 14:28:50

Sigh, i know, just makes me sad sad

tigermoll Mon 10-Oct-11 14:32:01

That must be hugely frustrating, although technically I suppose it's nothing to do with you any more.

To whom to the toys belong?

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 10-Oct-11 14:33:28

Sounds like they have made little to no attempt to find someone else to run it. If they don't find someone immediately they will give all the toys away and that will be the end of the playgroup forever!? They sound like twats! Why do all the toys have to be given away immediately? Someone might come along in a few weeks who wants to run it and then there will be no toys. They sound weird.

AgentZigzag Mon 10-Oct-11 14:35:26

I can see why it'd get to you even if you've left.

Is there any way you could do it for a few extra weeks until someone else comes along?

It'd be a shame for everything you've done so far to go down the pan.

EvilElizabethPonsonby Mon 10-Oct-11 14:36:43

That's the thing, I really don't know, they belong to the playgroup as far as I am concerned. The playgroup has never been for profit, we ploughed all the money we made back into the group for toys and crafts etc. I took over from someone else, who, fortunately, has stepped back into the breach now with my old friend. So the group is now saved from immediate closure! Still annoyed at the situation though!!

I would take it back over myself, but have gone back to work on the playgroup day!

Firawla Mon 10-Oct-11 14:37:10

yanbu it does not sound right, especially chucking all the toys so noone else can have a go at running it. cant you have a word with them, although you have given it up if its only recently i think its still fine to tell them they are out of order, and mayb help them find someone else to take over?

mumsamilitant Mon 10-Oct-11 15:52:27

Are you just allowed to start a playgroup? Didn't think that anyone could just do that? I had to do a years course.

EvilElizabethPonsonby Mon 10-Oct-11 16:45:54

Parents stayed, so I don't know if that makes a difference?

MumblingAndBloodyRagDoll Mon 10-Oct-11 16:54:09

There you go...the group is saved! Dont be annoyed. They bit off more than they could chew.

WhoseGotMyEyebrows Mon 10-Oct-11 21:43:18

mumsamilitant The OP is talking about a toddler drop in and play group where parents are there as well. Not the drop and run variety which are OFSTED checked.

mumofthreekids Mon 10-Oct-11 22:00:02

Can understand you being annoyed.

However, given they were voluntarily giving up their time, I can also stand them being gutted when they got criticised for making a few changes.

mumsamilitant Tue 11-Oct-11 15:56:30

Thanks for clearing that up for me WGME. We don't have them where I am.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now