Talk

Advanced search

To think that the new Warm Home Discount Scheme discount of £120...

(49 Posts)
Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 12:11:58

...is great in comparison to the Cold Weather Payments (£25 for 7 consecutive days under 0 C), but it's a shame that some energy companies will be running it on a first come, first served basis?

British Gas have a 45 minute holding time on their phones at the moment. I just wanted to highlight the scheme for others on low-income and/or DLA, particularly if you're with one of the energy companies which talk about capping their numbers.

Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 12:14:45

Link here

Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 12:23:22

PS the other group seems to be those on means-tested benefits with child(ren) under 5.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Mon 10-Oct-11 12:27:52

It's great. I've applied online for my electricity one. I'm grateful of the cold weather payments too.

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 12:32:24

Dies this scheme cover those in ore payment meters?

PeggyCarter Mon 10-Oct-11 12:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PersonalClown Mon 10-Oct-11 12:47:22

We don't qualify any more as DP works now.
Oh well. I'm the one that feels the cold anyway so I have a Slanket and warm slippers for me.

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 12:48:15

Typos!! I meant 'pre payment meter'

Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 12:50:14

You need to contact your energy company about eligibility because the criteria may differ.

What's a means tested benefit generally means income support or income based JSA/ESA. However it also depends how they're assessing low income - BG wanted to know the breakdown of my weekly income.

CardyMow Mon 10-Oct-11 13:16:11

I have applied online with Southern Energy - but not sure if I'll get it as on BBC news this morning, they said that Southern Energy is limiting it to the first 4800 applicants! I don't know how me being on a pre-payment meter will affect it, though. I am on IS and have a dc under 5yo, (plus another 3 dc) so am really hoping I get it.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Mon 10-Oct-11 13:20:13

Thank you so so so much, Upwardandonward

I'm with SWALEC on a prepaid key metre, and have just spoken and am eligible for the £120 rebate.

In March next year, £120 will be credited to my electric account.

I am currently sat here like this grin

Thank you for making me aware of this - i'm of to tell my friends and family.

Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 13:32:11

That's why I posted in AIBU - because other than pensioners, everyone else has to flag themselves to their energy company - and whilst it was on the tv news at the weekend, there doesn't seem to be much info on the net.

I'm glad you're eligible, Dawn

I hope you get it, Hunty - I do wonder what will happen when people start making an outcry about the first come, first serve issue.

ScaredKittyWitchyKitty Mon 10-Oct-11 14:04:05

I can't get it sad. As a lone parent on low income, I'm apparently not poor enough hmm.

I sometimes wonder why I bother working. <bitter emoticon>

PersonalClown Mon 10-Oct-11 14:51:27

I know ScaredKitty. We're the same. We have a low income and a Ds with ASD who strips off when he's uncomfortable(he can only deal with the feel of clothes against his skin for so long) but Dp works.

It's a good job I know how to budget, we had the loft insulation done over the summer and I check my energy bill online. I'm £350 in credit so we're covered for the hikes and the cold.

Other may need the help though.

Upwardandonward Mon 10-Oct-11 16:24:03

bump

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 19:13:41

Bumping this again.

Jamillalliamilli Tue 11-Oct-11 19:34:24

I have talked to my energy supplier who's aware that my daily unit use is already very scarily low, and have been told that the government will be deciding who gets it and who doesn't, if you get a letter then you're in, if you don't you're not.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 19:37:21

That's not true, according to the link above and my energy supplier, JGOWI - My supplier told me yesterday that you have to apply for it yearly, they will not write to you. The only people getting letters from the government are those on Pension Credit Guarentee, who qualify automaticly for it.

Jamillalliamilli Tue 11-Oct-11 19:42:28

Dawn it's EON and they're adamant, also that ESA support group (literally not being allowed to claim JSA) through visible disability is not a rebate category?

(To add to the fun, apparently if you aren't able to afford to use your gas and electricity, you're no longer considered to be in fuel poverty.)

BloodandScumatron Tue 11-Oct-11 19:47:30

Justgetting please phone your supplier to see if you are entitled to it. Each company has it's own policy but I don't think any of them will be writing to everyone who is potentially eligable.

I work for a one of the companies named on here and our policy is to get our advisors to fill in a questionnaire out with every customer that ask or we think may qualify. Then either pass them through to the relevant dept or arrange a call back.

I've not heard about it being on a first come first serve basis though.

crazynannawitchbitch Tue 11-Oct-11 19:48:02

Apparantly ILoveTIFFANY,if you have a prepayment meter,they send you a cheque smile

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 19:52:32

nanna - I'm on a prepaid meter and my supplier, swalec, said they will credit my electric key with it, rather then send a cheque. But hey, it all helps!

Jamillalliamilli Tue 11-Oct-11 19:57:59

BloodandScumatron I will have another go, but I have already phoned them, and they are insistent that it is the government decision (and who will be writing to those eligible)

I think he probably did do a questionnaire as he confirmed with me that I'm registered with them as a vulnerable customer, disabled, low income, and have been reduced to 21 units max weekly for some time. (which means I’m no longer in fuel poverty apparently)

He was sympathetic and said it was ridiculous that older well of folk would get it regardless of it they wanted it, but people like me wouldn’t be entitled.

BloodandScumatron Tue 11-Oct-11 20:22:32

are you able to change supplier? have you checked with uswitch if you are with the cheapest company?

this is the criteria for a referral to the warm home discount team with sse.

DawnOfTheDeementedDead Tue 11-Oct-11 20:28:25

Oh and if you do change supplier, you can apply for the rebate with them too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now