Talk

Advanced search

School to tell me about meetings with my kids?

(13 Posts)
Ummfee Mon 10-Oct-11 07:55:31

I found out my childrens headteacher had held meetings with them about their fathers private life. We are divorced and he secretly remarried. I am their legal guardian. Does the school have to inform me or get my consent about this?

sparkle12mar08 Mon 10-Oct-11 07:57:33

If their father has PR, then probably not, no. Sorry.

Ummfee Mon 10-Oct-11 08:00:03

No he doesn't. I have no idea how the school found ou but they did not long after my kids found out they had a step mum and sister.

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 08:03:38

Sounds odd

Secret meetings ? What was the aim of them?

CustardCake Mon 10-Oct-11 08:14:41

If you mean that the school had a "secret meeting" with your children then what was the aim? To establish whether they now had a step mum and sister? And if they only found this out after your children did, could it be they found out because your children told a teacher or an adult about it?

It may be that the school asked your children questions about this change in their lives because, if it was your children who informed the school, they might think your children are upset or worried about it to have mentioned it or they might wonder why you haven't informed the school yourself.

You are not obliged to tell the school the ins-and-outs of your private life, but anything that might worry the children or change things in their life is often something the school will want to know about so that they can make allowances at school and support the children if they are concerned about it.

gordyslovesheep Mon 10-Oct-11 08:54:47

please define 'meetings' your op is very vague - if you mean the teacher asked them about it that's one thing - if there was a meeting with lots of people that's another...

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 12:01:03

Yes, I think more info is needed here op

Ummfee Mon 10-Oct-11 15:33:42

The Headteacher took my son into her office to question him about his fathers 'secret marriage' This is exactly how she worded it.
My question is simply is she allowed to do that without the consent of myself (their legal guardian)

BettyCash Mon 10-Oct-11 15:45:09

From what you're say it's hard to see why she'd do that. Seems completely unprofessional.

caughtinanet Mon 10-Oct-11 15:46:56

That sounds like a very strange thing to do. I can't imagine a HT phrasing a question like that, do you know how the rest of the conversation went or what the purpose of it was ?

Is this a state school in the UK?

GypsyMoth Mon 10-Oct-11 15:47:06

Not sure..... Why would she? How old is your dc?

mumsamilitant Mon 10-Oct-11 15:49:03

I wouldn't get too upset about it really, maybe she wanted to know if the stepmother was going to be involved in dropping/off picking him up from school in the future.

I'm sure it's nothing sinister.

Do you know what she asked exactly? All you've said was she questioned him.

caughtinanet Mon 10-Oct-11 16:00:04

umfee - I see you've posted about this issue before, are you still concerned about the original chat or has the head recently revisited the conversations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now