Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that not all school activities have to be inclusive?

(86 Posts)
manicinsomniac Sun 09-Oct-11 21:33:17

Obviously not going to be able to go massively into detail here but I was approached by a fairly irate parent recently wanting to know why I had not selected her child for a school activity. The child does not have the skill that is required. At all. The activity is audition only and has always been advertised as such. But apparently I am being exclusive and also favouring my own child (who did get in)

To me this is ridiculous. My daughter is good at this skill so she is involved. However, she is most certainly not in two other activites that she tried out for because she is hopeless at both those things! I know that and wouldn't dream of trying to insist that she gets a place.

Obviously school subjects should be inclusive of all children and I also think there should be a good range of clubs open to all (which there is at our school. I run 3 different ones myself and only one has a selection criteria) But, when it comes to such specific skills, surely we have not gone so PC that we can't select children with an aptitude for one activity and leave them out of another??

AIBU?

GumballCharm Sun 09-Oct-11 21:35:23

Unles it involves playing an instrument then YABU. All children should be ivolved in performance if they want to.

BoysAreLikeDogs Sun 09-Oct-11 21:36:04

even if a child has not an aptitude should they not be given opportunity anyway?

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 09-Oct-11 21:37:45

You are wrong on so many levels, and the nepotism you show is astounding.

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sun 09-Oct-11 21:37:50

Age?

GumballCharm Sun 09-Oct-11 21:38:30

I can only think of something like "chamber music club" which might exclude some DC. Drama, dance, singing...they should be open to all.

Unless of course your school is in fact The Fame School in New York?

laptopdancer Sun 09-Oct-11 21:38:47

WTF? Selection criteria for school clubs? Do you have to be good at things to join a club? Shocking IMO
How are kids supposed to have a go?

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sun 09-Oct-11 21:38:56

No.

Theft in a multi storey car park. That is wrong on so many levels.

(Tim Vine)

Kayano Sun 09-Oct-11 21:39:45

But they had an opportunity by auditioning...

Which they presumably failed.

I failed to make it on the badminton team because I was pants, but I made it into other teams and activities so no..

Personally YANBU

Kids need to learn rejection. It's like when they have sports day and races and everyone gets a medal IMO.

Pointless PC crap

troisgarcons Sun 09-Oct-11 21:39:55

Well, you'd hardly be bound to accept a wheelchair bound child for a trampolining club .... nor a tone deaf warbler for a choir .....

G'wan, tell us the 'skill' and the childs problem...MN can't witch=hunt with such scant facts.

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 09-Oct-11 21:40:32

MNP grin

yellowraincoat Sun 09-Oct-11 21:40:57

YABU.

Peachy Sun 09-Oct-11 21:40:57

There's always something someone can do

Ds1, AS, can't do stage (without getting upset) but does the sound and lights

Making programs, welcoming parents, helping to plan- something.

laptopdancer Sun 09-Oct-11 21:40:58

Its not a competitive team though , its a "club".
Do they compete?

MarginallyNarkyPuffin Sun 09-Oct-11 21:41:14

Secondary I'd expect auditions. Primary I'd expect inclusive.

Rivenwithoutabingle Sun 09-Oct-11 21:41:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 09-Oct-11 21:41:27

Strangely enough I have heard of a trampoline club at a special school..... why should children be excluded from that?

talkingnonsense Sun 09-Oct-11 21:41:34

At primary I think it is good to be inclusive, at secondary I would expect chdn to audition for play/ choir etc, just as the best players eill be picked for sports. However if it us usual at your school, then perhaps a letter home at the start of term explaining which clubs are for all and which require an invite? You don't sound nepotistic tonne btw.

GumballCharm Sun 09-Oct-11 21:41:39

Ah but Kayano the Badminton team is NOT the same as the drama club...or the dance club....a sports team is a sports team...only the best get in. Perfomane based activities should be open to all. That doesn't mean all will get solos or leads...but all should be allowed to join in.

Sirzy Sun 09-Oct-11 21:42:07

If its primary school age children then just wanting to be there should be the only selection criteria - then give roles accordingly to those interested.

For secondary age children then I see no problem with an "audtition" process as long as it is fair

Rivenwithoutabingle Sun 09-Oct-11 21:42:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OddBoots Sun 09-Oct-11 21:43:01

I was never good enough to join the school netball team. My dd has got the wrong jaw shape to be able to play the flute. Is that the kind of thing you mean?

GumballCharm Sun 09-Oct-11 21:43:05

marginally even at secondry the crappest actors are given chorus and walk on roles.

talkingnonsense Sun 09-Oct-11 21:43:17

* will, is, to me. Sorry, must be bedtime.

GumballCharm Sun 09-Oct-11 21:43:48

Where's OP?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now