Talk

Advanced search

to want to start learning a musical instrument as an adult??

(19 Posts)
thinkingwhattodotoday Sun 09-Oct-11 21:03:26

has anyone done this? how did it go - in terms of finding a teacher, time to get through the grades etc? I am thinking of piano.
I started as a child but never got beyond grade 1.
I was going to encourage dc but then thought why not just learn myself. then if they like the look of it they can take it up too.

Laquitar Sun 09-Oct-11 21:06:07

YANBU at all. I like your way of thinking.

Tyr Sun 09-Oct-11 21:09:23

Go for it but choose an instrument that will allow you to play the music you enjoy listening to.

thinkingwhattodotoday Sun 09-Oct-11 21:11:23

thank you for encouragement! I want to play the piano as I have one already. is it slower to learn as a adult though? I just don't know anyone who has done this. also will teachers take on adults??

puglet123 Sun 09-Oct-11 21:11:30

I think you should go for it - I teach a couple of adults piano and they are doing really well. I think it's a great idea that you learn something for you!! Best of luck. smile

Tchootnika Sun 09-Oct-11 21:12:55

I think it sounds really good, too.
Let us know how it goes smile

SouthernandCross Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:07

I did my grade 2 piano exam as a child and mucked around a bit over the years. When my eldest started learning the piano a couple of years ago, I took lessons too! I did my grade 5 practical last year and am now working my way up the theory grades so I can sit my grade 6 practical some time. I don't know why, except for the pure joy of playing some lovely music and being to keep up with the DCs!
Go for it. I practice about 20 mins a day atm but this goes up to 1 hour a day when an exam is looming.
Are there any music shops near you? If so, give them a ring and ask if they know of any teachers who take on adult pupils. I would suggest you find a teacher who is used to teaching adults as if they are not, you might find it all a bit tedious.

KatyMac Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:27

Maybe I should do this instead of my OU course this autumn

My Nana started her piano lessons at about 65 & she did fine

FutureNannyOgg Sun 09-Oct-11 21:15:48

Do it, I took up harp in my mid 20s, it was a brilliant decision.

Ask around or check local ads in papers or music shop for a teacher.

And don't forget to practice.

Laquitar Sun 09-Oct-11 21:16:23

Yes of course they take adults.

I think it is a fab example to your dcs aswell.

scruffybird Sun 09-Oct-11 21:17:31

Go for it! I learnt to play the violin in my thirties (not that well). Took DD with me for the first few lessons and then she dropped out and I kept going. Used to go one evening a week. Just phone a teacher who teaches children and I'm sure they will teach you.

mamalovesmojitos Sun 09-Oct-11 21:19:01

YADNBU life is for living! smile playing an instrument rocks. Best of luck.

Dozer Sun 09-Oct-11 21:19:31

Go for it, if you have at least 3 hours a week or so to spare (for lessons and a few practices), not worth spending on lessons if no time to practice.

grumpybat Sun 09-Oct-11 21:20:11

Do it! I teach quite a few adults and they do really seem to enjoy it. Try and remember that you're allowed to not understand though, it really is learning something new and it takes a while!

DogsBeastFiend Sun 09-Oct-11 21:22:40

Go for it! Footballer Tony Adams managed it so why can't you? Good luck and, most importantly, enjoy. smile

tallwivghoulies Sun 09-Oct-11 21:26:27

Do it definitely. I've just got a piano off freecycle. I haven't played for 35 years. I'm hoping it's a bit like riding a bike...building up courage to try the ukelele though as well...

Making your own music, bringing children up around live music - you can't beat it!

Rivenwithoutabingle Sun 09-Oct-11 21:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reallytired Sun 09-Oct-11 22:08:52

I have been using Youtube to learn guitar. I don't think anyone is too old to learn.

A1980 Sun 09-Oct-11 22:11:15

I would but make sure you find the right teacher.

I tried to take up the violin and got a teacher who only taught children. Using books designed for 4 year old was a bit crap. I got frustrated quite quickly as lessons are (very) expensive and i found it hard to practice as violins go out of tune and I couldn't tune the bloody thing myself.

Wish I'd taken the flute or something. Easier to practice yourself and tuning not required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now