Talk

Advanced search

to feel embarassed that Martin McGuiness will probably be the next president of Ireland

(164 Posts)
holyShmoley Sun 09-Oct-11 17:27:07

Yes, The self styled 'Peoples' President'. To my mind he is a massive backward step from Marys Robinson and McAleese.

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow Sun 09-Oct-11 17:29:00

YANBU - It'll say a lot about the irish as a nation if they vote him in.

troisgarcons Sun 09-Oct-11 17:35:26

Abhorant is the word I'd be using. Still, one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. That is the price of democracy

Nancy66 Sun 09-Oct-11 17:55:20

he was always known to be far far worse than Adams - both in his views and his actions.

DontGoCurly Sun 09-Oct-11 17:56:59

He will fucking not!

He's second on the boards.ie poll !

Oh God please no! <mortified>

HardCheese Sun 09-Oct-11 18:24:26

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it - don't think he has a hope. It will almost certainly be Michael D Higgins, now that David Norris is essentially out of the race.

Notsuchasmugmarried, what will it say, exactly about 'the Irish'? That they are exercising their democratic right to vote for a presidential candidate of whom you disapprove? And of whom I disapprove, I hasten to add.

Not impressed with this line-up, I have to say, after the brilliant Marys.

higgle Sun 09-Oct-11 18:27:54

It is a sign of a true democracy when some one controversial can be elected, so there is a lot to re-joice about if this happens, we need to move on from the past.

Pan Sun 09-Oct-11 18:30:53

May the same thing have been said of Nelson Mandela at the time? " A proven terrorist"?

PeneloPeePitstop Sun 09-Oct-11 18:32:08

I don't know.
I'm getting splinters in my arse from fence sitting.
The Mandela element, as Pan said. He was known as a terrorist too.

WombOnTheBroom Sun 09-Oct-11 18:35:37

In the name of all that is holy, DO NOT compare Mandela and him.

Pan Sun 09-Oct-11 18:36:25

Why not? Similarities are striking.

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 09-Oct-11 18:44:03

He would be moving from a politically important role to a completely irrelevant one.

If your worry is about former terrorists in positions of power, this is a step in the right direction, surely?

What the fuck was so great about Mary McAleese anyway?

Toobluntforboss Sun 09-Oct-11 18:47:17

YANBU. Here's hoping it doesn't happen - not close enough to the details to know how likely it is but crossing my fingers that there is a decent candidate who will win through.

DontGoCurly Sun 09-Oct-11 18:50:30

It'll be Micheal D. Higgins. It won't happen.

SheCutOffTheirTails Sun 09-Oct-11 18:56:33

I'd kind of love if McGuinness won because I don't think that was what the Shinners were going for.

Their best political asset stuck in the Phoenix Park for 7 years scratching his arse grin - that I would kind of like to see.

TheCalvert Sun 09-Oct-11 19:04:14

Erm, whichever folk above who are drawing parallels between Mandela and MadGunness (pun intended) need to refer to the history books. Can't quite compare arpthide to Northern Ireland. Catholics and Prodestants wern't segregated on buses and Catholics were allowed to use state schools. Like I said, not QUITE the same as arpthide. Hope the brute doesn't geected, horrid man.

TheCalvert Sun 09-Oct-11 19:07:07

So many typos, bloody predictable text... [Grin]

Pan Sun 09-Oct-11 19:09:48

That'd be me, re McGuiness and Mandela! And yes I did refer to my knowledge of history when I made the comparison. Suspect they have a lot to talk about on the ocassions when they have met. Though I accept it isn't a universally popular comparison.

Maryz Sun 09-Oct-11 19:12:30

Martin McGuinness will not be voted in. No way. Thank God for proportional representation, because even if 20% of the population (the gobshite ignorant fuckers proportion) vote for him, everyone else wants "anyone but McGuinness", so their transfers will go to someone else.

Except of course for the odd Dana transfer, since her supporters aren't too high in the IQ department hmm.

There is absolutely no comparison between Mandela and McGuinness. McGuinness was in charge of the terrorist arm of the IRA. He gave the instructions to kill innocent civilians, including children. He specifically targetted civilians at a time when he had no mandate to do so - the people of the North of Ireland had a vote, totally unlike the situation in SA at the time Mandela was involved with violence.

Quite apart from his blatant lies hmm. All this bollox about him not taking his salary angry. His salary goes to Sinn Fein who use it to, erm well, I dunno? They are the best funded political party in the world I reckon, what with the support from the US and the takings from various bank robberies.

Fuckers angry.

HowlingWereWolfBitch Sun 09-Oct-11 19:16:16

Hahahaha! What a load of shite you just typed Maryz.

How bitter.

<hides thread>

Pan Sun 09-Oct-11 19:16:49

Well without asking for too much detail (as it seems unlikely he will be elected) Mandela was the leader of the military wing of the ANC, which followed a bombing campaign of govt insallations, where, you know, otherwise innocent people worked. Not sure where the evidence of McGuiness instructing the targetting of children comes from, otehr than that everso reliable, evenhanded and uncorruptible source, the British Govt...

Maryz Sun 09-Oct-11 19:16:56

Actually, in the last week or so I've seriously been looking at Sean Gallagher - anyone here have any opinions on him?

I'm working on the principal that I don't want someone political (ruling out O'Higgins who has the most annoying voice of anyone ever and Gay Mitchel boring), I couldn't possibly vote for McGuinness, Norris or Dana, which by a process of elimination leaves Mary Davis and Sean Gallagher.

I'm not sure about Davis, she seems a bit, well, wet. I think she is a really good person, she does a lot of charity work, which is admirable. But I think if the President's job includes travel, representing Ireland in other countries and trying to get foreign buisiness, he might be pretty good.

Any views? Or is there another thread on this somewhere, where all the Irish are gathering in secret and not telling me?

doigthebountyeater Sun 09-Oct-11 19:18:04

I'm with you Maryz. He is a murdering bastard with innocent people's blood on his hands.

troisgarcons Sun 09-Oct-11 19:20:44

Mandella was guerilla. He authorised the killing of people. He plotted treason. He killed civillians.

But as I said - one mans freedom fighter is another mans terrorist.

Pan Sun 09-Oct-11 19:22:36

I do have that horrible smell of orange round here. I'll leave you to your pleasures.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now