Talk

Advanced search

To want to hurt my Dh alot

(44 Posts)
Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:34:34

I know i am, i am 20 weeks pg with DC3 who we have just found out is a boy grin we have 2 DDs so this is lovely.

The only thing is we cannot agree on a name, i come up with names he says NO and then says stupid names. Its realy bugging me more then it would ordinarily so hormones i think.

I LOVE the name Johnny because my grandad was John, he died earlier this yr and he was a great man i just realy want this name but DH wont have it which i think is unreasonable because it means alot to me.

So IABU arent i and can anyone give names suggestions we nee more ideas, i would like a tradional name as both DDs are.

Kayano Sun 09-Oct-11 08:38:16

Can he not be John nn Johnny like my dad?

Or a similar name like Jack?

YABU if he has vetoed it though... There must be other names and it is a joint decision. Also... Baby names section for this wink

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 09-Oct-11 08:38:32

YABU to want to hurt your DH over a name. If you want traditional, you've got another five months minimum to come up with one you both like. Make 'John' a middle name, perhaps?

minimisschief Sun 09-Oct-11 08:41:34

Well it doesn't really matter if the name means something to you if he doesnt like it.

Try coming up with a first name you both agree on then ask if john or johnny can be a middle name as a compromise.

IWantWine Sun 09-Oct-11 08:43:02

smile Congratulations.

My first boy was going to be named after my Dad. There was no discussion! End of!

I reckon I did all the hard work so I got to choose the names smile

ladyintheradiator Sun 09-Oct-11 08:44:02

Can't you use it for a middle name?

You have 20 weeks to decide, you're being a bit odd.

fedupofnamechanging Sun 09-Oct-11 08:45:25

If my dh wanted to give our child a specific name, after a loved relative and I did not like the name, then I would say no too. I think it's only fair that both parents love the name that their child has.

Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:45:47

I know IABU i just cant help this feeling, he has agreed that we can have John as a middle name so that it something.

Cant have Jack as DN is Jack. I like Edward and Freddie Dh likes Thomas which i am not so keen on we cant seem to think of any others. Brain block or something grin

Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:46:57

Lady i know i am being VERY odd am not usualy like this i realy do think it is hormones.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sun 09-Oct-11 08:47:56

He s being unreasonable .... Unless it is the whole name association thing. For example, he may have been bullied at school by a Johnny, or johnny was the class clown who he hated. I can understand your DH not wanting johnny if there is a link.

MamaMaiasaura Sun 09-Oct-11 08:48:43

Dont be daft!

I'm 38+1 weeks and we haven't chosen a name so you've got nothing to worry about at 20 weeks. Baby will be baby till we choose. smile

Proudnreallyveryscary Sun 09-Oct-11 08:48:48

I am very happy for you but this is a bit of an attention seeking thread.

Aislingorla Sun 09-Oct-11 08:49:28

I had chosen a name for my son as soon as I knew I was pregnant, however, he simply did not look like a Mark (my fav boys name) and so he was nameless for a week while we thought of another.

where I grew up, 'johnny' meant a condom. If that is true where you are - don't do it! John as a middle name would be a good compromise.

I take it you've been on all the babyname websites for inspiration?

SamMiguel Sun 09-Oct-11 08:52:02

Ray81, put it in Baby names or you won't get much help. smile

That's a bit unnecessary.

most threads are attention seeking threads.

In fact - ALL threads are attention seeking threads. Nobody posts on here ever unless they wish to attract the attention of others.

troisgarcons Sun 09-Oct-11 08:52:22

Johnny will have connotations of a condom - ie rubber johnny. John is fine with johnny as a pet name.

clairefromsteps Sun 09-Oct-11 08:55:14

Oh man, we had this with DD2. I was desperate for this particular name. I loved it. It went well with DD and DS's names. It was classic, but not fuddy-duddyish. Just lovely. But DH kept coming up with totally unsuitable names. No, DH, just no. However I kept my own counsel, put his weird suggestions on the list of potential names, and agreed with him that we'd wait until DD2 was born and see what she looked like before deciding on a name. When she was born I promptly used my hormonal post-baby tears to scare him into letting me have the name I wanted. Job done.

Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:56:10

Sam thanks will do.

Was hoping for some suggestions,too tbh.i have been to baby name websites and they all seem to be unusual names ifswim and DDs are very traditional names.

We chose and had DD1s name from 14 weeks and DDs from 21 weeks so think i am just used to having a name. The pg hormones are realy messing with me this time grin

Aislingorla Sun 09-Oct-11 08:57:15

Jonjo? (dim. of John Joseph)

Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 08:57:45

Claire - now thats an idea smile

Proudnreallyveryscary Sun 09-Oct-11 08:58:48

Sorry, it did sound a bit unkind....I suppose I mean it's okay to be attention seeking if it's an interesting or entertaining or funny thread.

Made it worse now haven't I..!?

Anyway CONGRATS OP!

<coughs>

<leaves>

Aislingorla Sun 09-Oct-11 09:00:32

David, Phillip, Andrew, Michael, Simon, Paul, Robert.Mark.....
(All trad. and not overlly common these days)

Ray81 Sun 09-Oct-11 09:03:50

Love David but is my dads name and FIL would be put out i think.
Micheal is my brothers name and we dont get on
there are 3 Roberts in extended family.

I like Mark will put that on the list.

So now not only is she attention seeking - she's boring too?

Would you like some salt with that foot? grin

victorian baby names

traditional baby names

and here

here too

top 10s through the ages

and finally, biblical names you can normally find some good traditional ones there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now