Talk

Advanced search

to call the vets??

(25 Posts)
Spuddybean Sun 09-Oct-11 02:24:28

my dog died last sunday (i had 2) now the other has become withdrawn (to be expected). The one left has become withdrawn (understandable) however, she now wont move and is just laying on the bathroom floor.

she has eaten but shows no signs of previous happiness. i think she is pining away...

is there anything a vet could do?

MollyintheMoon Sun 09-Oct-11 02:29:00

I would definitely have a chat with a vet. They will have come across this before and may have strategies to deal with it.

And they can have a look to make there is nothing else wrong.

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 02:30:52

Definitely call the vets - it may be because your other dog died or she may be ill, either way she needs checking out and yes, I'd do it right now - the sociable hour of 9am may be too late sad

Spuddybean Sun 09-Oct-11 02:32:20

i mean tonight, she is literally giving up as i type.

Spuddybean Sun 09-Oct-11 02:37:19

the vet has checked her out (thursday). but today she seems to have given up. she misses her mate - they were together from 12 weeks old and now she is 10.
i had to carry her up the stairs and now she is layingwhere the other dog died.

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 02:55:51

Yes - ring the emergency vet now. Just tell them the symptoms, not about your other dog - see what they have to say. Tomorrow morning may be too late. You are assuming she's pining (she might well be) or it may be that she's ill. Either way, you need to ring the vet now - they're on call for a reason!

rogersmellyonthetelly Sun 09-Oct-11 09:13:32

Call them. I had this with one of my rabbits when he lost his bond pair, he didn't eat at all for a couple of days and was pining terribly. We brought him in to the house for company and gave him lots of cuddles which seemed to help. Took a good couple of months before he perked up fully but I never did manage to evict him off my bed at night.
It could be pining or it could be a coincidental illness. I'm assuming your other dog didn't have a contagious illness.

DogsBeastFiend Sun 09-Oct-11 09:51:09

All that ChippingIn said - please call your vet now.

And when you have, come on over and share your concerns and what the vet has to say with us on the Doghouse, where your post is less likely to get lost in fast-moving traffic and where you'll get lots of support and good advice.

If it is a case of your girl mourning, I've been there with my eldest dog - but between us he and I overcame it, so don't despair.

scuzy Sun 09-Oct-11 10:09:52

thats sooo sad. hope you called the vet and he can help.

hope your ok too. its very hard losing a pet especially one thats been part of the family for soo long.

GypsyMoth Sun 09-Oct-11 10:12:19

That's so so sad.

ScaredBear Sun 09-Oct-11 10:33:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsDanverclone Sun 09-Oct-11 10:58:47

Spuddy I hope you have been to the vets.
I've had a dog who became depressed at the death of our eldest dog, the vet was able to help. You need to be sure there isn't anything else causing your dog to be like this.
Hope everything is okay.

Spuddybean Sun 09-Oct-11 12:15:11

Hi All

Thanks for the support. She rallied slightly - i carried her onto the bed with me and gave her cuddles and treats (she is eating fine).

Called the vets this morning and taking her in tomorrow.They saw her Monday and Thursday and there is nothing physically wrong with her.

We are all missing the other dog (english setter) so much. The cocker spaniel wont go up and down the stairs since she died and we have to carry her up and down when we go to bed.

I didn't realise there was a special dog forum. i may check it out. i can't stop crying since last sunday. it was really sudden, she was only 9 and we are all heartbroken.

buzzskeleton Sun 09-Oct-11 12:21:17

Maybe think of getting her a new doggy friend? If you'd be planning to have two dogs again?

DogsBeastFiend Sun 09-Oct-11 12:23:23

I'm so sorry Spuddybean.

Been through the sudden, unexpected loss of a beloved dog and had to coax and nurse his best mate through it so I think I might know how you feel.

I did just as you are for my Max when his pal was lost to us, slept on the sofa with him because he wouldn't go up to bed, sat where he sat, hand ffed him, spent every spare minute with him, treats all the way. It helped and gradually he "came back" to me but it took days and days.

The biggest change in him, when the light came back into his eyes, was when I adopted a pup to keep him company. Maybe in time, eh?

Meantime keep on doing as you are, let pooch know he has a pal in you... god knows it sounds like you can both do with the extra time together and tlc right now.

Go easy on yourself.

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 12:51:03

Aww Spuddy - she really does sound heartbroken. I hope you can spend today with her, poor little thing. I hope the vet can give her the all-clear health wise tomorrow and maybe a little something to help her through this, but I suspect lots of time with you will be the thing she needs the most now. Give her a snuggle from Aunty Chip. I'm sure you are all missing your ES very very much.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 09-Oct-11 13:04:22

Oh that is so sad. Dogs really feel it when they friend goes. Did she see him once he was dead?

Spuddybean Sun 09-Oct-11 13:19:01

i don't know if she saw her - we found her in the bathroom dead. i don't think she did tho.

MollyintheMoon Sun 09-Oct-11 13:57:40

Spuddy if your two dogs slept together you could try wrapping a warm hot water bottle in your jumper and putting it in her bed. The warmth might soothe her a bit if she's missing her friend.

FabbyChic Sun 09-Oct-11 13:59:46

Dogs do suffer from depression. she is no doubt grieving

Onemorning Sun 09-Oct-11 16:35:03

I'm so sorry Spuddy, what an awful thing to happen.

TheOriginalFAB Sun 09-Oct-11 16:39:48

Maybe she doesn't understand that her friend is dead, just that he has gone.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 12-Oct-11 18:19:38

How is she now?

Spuddybean Wed 12-Oct-11 19:16:09

The vet said nothing wrong with her apart from being a bit fat blush .

We do give her too many treats and it's hard not to now as she is so sad and she does love them so much (it's the only time we can coax her to sit with us/out from under the bed).

Vet said if we got another dog it should be a puppy - so she can assert that she is the boss. But i think a puppy would be too much work for my parents (they have the dogs as my dp is allergic - i just visit). They are late 60's so the dog could outlive them which would be awful as we would have to give it to a shelter.

So it looks like she will be on her own from now on.

TheOriginalFAB Wed 12-Oct-11 19:17:47

Poor thing. She can still have treats, just ration them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now