Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to read this and help if you can

(103 Posts)
Justlostitwithhim Sun 09-Oct-11 01:23:22

I've also posted this in SN but am so angry and concerned I have to ask for help from everywhere. Everyone needs to see this: www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2046924/Parent-child-ADHD-Have-free-car-1-5bn-taxpayer-funded-scheme.html

I'm so angry I can barely speak. Would anyone be prepared to join me in putting together some sort of pressure group to stop this? I could have cried when it mentioned naughty child syndrome. I think my son has ADHD and he gets overstimulated and is frightened. Why shouldn't such families be entitled to a car? SN, mental or physical massively impact on any family. I'm sure there are better brains than mine who can think of a way to make a stand. Please feel free to include any ideas or thoughts and perhaps we can consolidate them and try to fight this.

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 09-Oct-11 01:28:18

Whilst on the whole I agree with you, JustLostIt, I do know one family who live close to me who have pushed, pushed and pushed again to get their son statemented as ADHD (despite school not being convinced) PURELY to get a new car as it's "the only way they can afford one". They're quite shockingly open about it. Unfortunately they're the sort that the Daily Fail just love to exploit.

SingingSands Sun 09-Oct-11 01:28:56

LInks says that the article no longer exists?

tallwivghoulies Sun 09-Oct-11 01:34:35

Well Harriet, if your facts are correct surely it's your moral duty to report them to the police and the dailymail.

Justlostitwithhim Sun 09-Oct-11 01:34:40

SingingSands, thanks for that. It is on the Daily Mail website. I am going to bed in a minute but will make it clearer in the morning.
Harriet, you're right, there is always a minority and their behaviour is affecting everyone else. But the cruelty of the man astounds me. Naughty child syndrome. What an insult!
Thank you both for replying.

SolarPrestigeAGammon Sun 09-Oct-11 01:56:04

OP you sound like another of these women with entitlement issues. If you need a car do what most other people in the world do - save up for it.

MrsLadywoman Sun 09-Oct-11 01:59:17

what are entitlement issues?

Justlostitwithhim Sun 09-Oct-11 01:59:37

Solar I have my own car. I also have 4 children with SN. Don't be so rude.

Justlostitwithhim Sun 09-Oct-11 02:04:07

To make it clear, I want to do this because Ian Duncan Smith is perpetuating the stigma that children and adults with ADHD face. It makes me mad. I have 4 SN children and have claimed nothing for them because I've always felt that the money would make no difference. This isn't about money. It's about trying to tackle ignorance and bigotry.

MrsLadywoman Sun 09-Oct-11 02:05:43

Ignore SPAG. She's probably drunk

Justlostitwithhim Sun 09-Oct-11 02:10:00

Thanks Ladywoman. I've posted this in various sections to try to get some support and she doesn't seem happy!

lec0rnsillk Sun 09-Oct-11 10:42:35

'I do know one family who live close to me who have pushed, pushed and pushed again to get their son statemented as ADHD (despite school not being convinced) PURELY to get a new car'
Clearly you or they have no actual knowledge of how process of statutory assessment actually works then

WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:12:25

Well no, as a statement won't automatically lead to entitlement to the higher rate of disability living allowance. Only HRM will enable someone to lease a car from the motability scheme.

And that article is shameful.

Thzumbiewitch Sun 09-Oct-11 11:17:27

here's your link

bubbles4 Sun 09-Oct-11 11:24:28

I picked out this sentence "In more than seven out of ten cases people who get DLA receive it for life, with no more questions asked.",in my experience that sentence is far from true.Does any body know if that is actually a true fact?

Thzumbiewitch Sun 09-Oct-11 11:24:29

loathsome article, several loathsome comments below. Ugh.

FabbyChic Sun 09-Oct-11 11:27:03

You dont need a car to live I see no reason why having a kid with Asd should get you one

WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:30:18

It doesn't get you one, Fabby but you are entitled to extra money for increased living expenses which many people choose to spend leasing a car. Some people don't and some people can't afford to use all of that allowance and find a substantial deposit (10k in some cases) for the vehicle they need.

WinterIsComing Sun 09-Oct-11 11:40:44

And to be pedantic, but I am just correcting myself here having read your post properly; having a child with asd doesn't entitle the parent to anything. The child however, is, and the car / money are for the child's benefit.

slavetofilofax Sun 09-Oct-11 11:41:38

I agree with you that the paper should not be calling ADHD 'naughty child syndrome', but I don't know why you expect any better from a low quality newspaper such as the Daily Mail.

I don't agree that those families with a child with ADHD should get a free car. You ask 'Why shouldn't they get a free car?' and my response would be because they generally don't need a free car. At least they don't need a free car any more than anyone else who can't afford their own.

I would have thought that in most cases, a child with ADHD who has been awarded the qualifying level of DLA would benefit more from extra curricular activities and the occasional taxi than they would from their parents not having to walk or bother with public transport.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 09-Oct-11 12:13:58

Mobility cars should be a last resort for those who would not be able to leave their home without one. A child with ADHD doesnt need a car no more than a normal child, the money could be far better spent so I agree with the crackdown.

The number that seek a "label" from doctors does seem to have increased since their is a financial benefit from it. Perhaps it would be viewed differently if no benefits could be claimed for it.

manticlimactic Sun 09-Oct-11 12:19:41

Do people really believe what they read in the Mail?

I agree the 'naughty child syndrome' is not on (did he really say that??) but why does a child with adhd need a car? <honest question>

LadyThumb Sun 09-Oct-11 12:32:09

I have a (now grown up) son with Aspergers. I never got a car because you have to get Higther Rate DLA/Mobility Allowance to get one. It is very difficult to get that!
And most children with ADHD do NOT qualify.

Dawndonna Sun 09-Oct-11 12:36:04

I have three children with sn. They all have Asperger Syndrome.
I am disgusted by some of the posts here.
The thing about being on the Autistic Spectrum is that it is variable and everyone is different. One of my dd's has ADHD. She is not naughty, she's never been in trouble at school, but she lacks concentration, she cannot cross a road safely and is impulsive, eg. running across a road without looking if she sees something or someone that attracts her attention. Ds2 also is unable to cross a road safely, and again is liable to wander out if he sees something that covers one of his obsessions, book shop, guitar shop, for example. That's fucking dangerous, it's no use saying teach them to do it properly, fairly commonly with Aspergers, they can grasp the theory, but are unable to put said theory into practice. As for not getting a car for someone with ASD, there are many co-morbids that can go with it, agorophopia, depression, general anxiety etc. so someone may well qualify on those counts. Ds2 is terrified of buses and bus drivers, apart from the fact he had a bad experience, the very first time we let him try, which involved the police, he can't cope with noise, people sitting in close proximity, smells, etc.
As for mobility cars, we have one. It's for my daughter, she's a wheelchair user. It took us a good few years, a nearly fifty page form and support from Great Ormond Street hospital. I am not in the minority, these forms are difficult and the proof you need is fairly harsh, for obvious reasons.
Oh, and if you're on DLA for life, you're still checked on a fairly regular basis.

worraliberty Sun 09-Oct-11 12:39:08

Ahh the good old Daily Wail

What would MN do without it?

It's amazing how many arguments discussions this Newspaper causes on here, yet no-one claims to actually read it.

OP if you've posted this in more than one section, I'm going to start my own popcorn business and make a killing....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now