Talk

Advanced search

Never going to Primark again or am I a snob

(158 Posts)
WhenSheWasBadSheWasHorrid Sat 08-Oct-11 23:39:48

Went into Primark for first time today. Awful just awful. Full of cheap tat would rather shop at a jumble sale.

GypsyMoth Sat 08-Oct-11 23:40:44

It's not so cheap anymore!! Getting more expensive now I find, for poorly made clothing.

Kayano Sat 08-Oct-11 23:41:13

YABU for going in on a Saturday grin

beatenbyayellowskull Sat 08-Oct-11 23:41:16

That, and the fact that you know its made by young children in <insert developing country of choice>

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 23:41:19

That's a bit like starting a thread to tell us that you went to the Antarctic and it was a bit cold...

wink

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 08-Oct-11 23:42:20

Jumble sales and charity shops are much more fun than Primark. More fun than most high street shops IMO.

slavetofilofax Sat 08-Oct-11 23:42:39

It is cheap tat, but if you don't expect the clothing to be long lasting good quality, then there isn't a problem.

Never go to Primark on a Saturday though!

Sevenfold Sat 08-Oct-11 23:43:48

yabu, their pj's are brill, I got 4 pairs for dd for £28, cheap compared to every where else and they wash well

squeakytoy Sat 08-Oct-11 23:48:31

If you are going to Primark, you have to plan it. Get there before 9.30 on a weekday, or 10.30 at a weekend.

If you get there any later it is like a jumble sale, most of the clothes that are on hangers will be on the wrong size hangers.. and there will be a cacophony of screaming children with mothers screeching back at them....

Whatever you do, avoid the customer service desk after this time too, unless you want to feel like the live audience at a Jeremy Kyle show...

ValiumVal Sat 08-Oct-11 23:50:06

I agree with Slave Never go on a Saturday to the Liverpool shop. Its huge on 3 floors and at any given time there must be at least 3000 people in it. It is a night mare I dont want to take part in again. However have to agree with Sevenfold pj's are cheap and wash and wash. Never had a problem with them! Worth trying again and expecting nothing fancy like M&S.

babycham42 Sat 08-Oct-11 23:52:22

I would be made up if a Primark opened up close enough for me to get to.

I've seen plenty of not so cheap tat.....

perfumedlife Sat 08-Oct-11 23:53:48

I went in yesterday for the kids fleece sleepsuits, they are brilliant, £6 and so cosy. Bought a cute mustard felt mini and the popper fell off before I could put it on.

squeakytoy Sat 08-Oct-11 23:54:19

The pj's are fab. In fact, Primark is the only place that seems to do fleecy fluffy ones...

As soon as I know winter is coming I trot down there, grab one of those silly baskets, and fill it up with my winter wardrobe... (husband was slightly underwhelmed with onesie cat suit (complete with ears, whiskers and tail) that I got... )....

I got a bit thrown this year with the heatwave which started the day after I did my seasonal shop!

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 23:54:51

Sorry - thread hijack - are the fleece pyjamas good? And what do they sell for in store? Thank you. Hijack over.

crazynannawitchbitch Sat 08-Oct-11 23:54:54

And what's wrong with Primarni? grin

Carrotsandcelery Sat 08-Oct-11 23:55:53

Ah cross post - as you were.

AgentZigzag Sat 08-Oct-11 23:57:16

Cheap tat describes me very well.

So enlighten us on where you can afford to shop OP.

startail Sat 08-Oct-11 23:58:12

Given my expensive Sea Salt top is pilling, I'm beginning to think cheap tat night as well be worth risking.

GumballCharm Sat 08-Oct-11 23:58:40

I like all their Pjs...and sleepsuits for me and the DC....I had a nice cotton one last year...grey with stripeys...I looked like a vintage convict.

The DC like the fluffy ones.

babycham42 Sun 09-Oct-11 00:00:56

Trouble is you don't get many bloody good old jumble sales these days........

<wanders off down memory lane>

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Sun 09-Oct-11 00:02:37

I bought the winter jamas for the DCs this week. As soon as Primark get the winter stuff in I'm there. The jamas are lovely, pretty generously sized (some of their other stuff is made for weirdly shaped beings and not normally proportioned humans) and they do fleecy ones and lovely warm brushed cotton ones. This year they have the all in one sleep suits up to about a 13-14yrs too.
Their other stuff is not as nice as it used to be, at one time I used to get all the t-shirts and shorts there too, but for the last couple of years it's just been jamas. The socks are ok too, much cheaper than anywhere else, and the quality is the same as tesco, asda, and M&S I find.

squeakytoy Sun 09-Oct-11 00:03:10

we get a few jumble sales where I am... its worse than a mosh pit! grin

normally I go with MIL and we get some great bargains.. my husband came with us to one last week.... found him outside afterwards, looking shell shocked grin.. he said "never again"..

I have seen more rage at jumble sales than Wetherspoons at kicking out time on a Friday night!

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Sun 09-Oct-11 00:04:06

oops sorry celery missed a bit - the kids jamas are £4 and £5 a pair depending on size, and the sleep suits were £6 I think.

TheBride Sun 09-Oct-11 00:04:28

Tis true. The jumble sale has gone the way of the dinosaurs. Shame. They were always run by old ladies who'd sell you a lovely vintage jacket for 10p.

Carrotsandcelery Sun 09-Oct-11 00:05:01

I have been on a table at a jumble sale and it is one of the scariest experiences of my life shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now