Talk

Advanced search

I have string, I have a sturdy door, AIBU to...........

(39 Posts)
BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 14:21:48

Try the old tooth pulling trick with the abcessed fucker lurking at the back of my mouth?

I am waiting for the final RCT, it's been bad for ages and the treatment is on it's way to being finished. However due to my jaw/tooth alignment the dentist cannot do enough so it will be permanantly saved - maybe a few years at most. sad

WWYD? I can ring Monday and ask for it out or stick with the AB, painkillers and wait the 2 weeks and try the RCT.

I really want advice as in my tired, emotional and in pain state I can't think straight.

TootaLaFruit Sat 08-Oct-11 14:25:07

sad for you. I don't know what RCT is, but if you've been waiting for ages and have already done a load of treatment or whatnot to get to this point, maybe it's worth hanging on a little bit longer?

TootaLaFruit Sat 08-Oct-11 14:25:45

Oh, and YABU to even think about pulling it out with a door + string. But you know that already smile

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Oct-11 14:29:26

I have a fear of the dentist and left a couple of my teeth for to long, so RCT didn't work for long, because i didn't get proper treatment when i should have, i ended up having to get surgery which involved going into my jaw bone.

You won't successfully pull all of the tooth out and will cause further complications.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 14:33:16

RCT= root canal treatment.

Basically they drill right down into the root of the tooth, in the case of the abcessed ones now (1 has been done but didn't hurt hmm) they have to go down through tooth to gum, and as birds said I could be looking at jaw work. sad

<puts string away and takes more ibuprofen>

TootaLaFruit Sat 08-Oct-11 14:55:08

Eeeshk, sounds nasty. Cliches are of no help at all but hang in there!

RIZZ0 Sat 08-Oct-11 15:04:56

Give the AB's, ibuprofen and also paracetamol (You can alternate and overlap between the two) a go until monday.

I've have my fair shares of abcesses, crowns, RCT's and a bridge sad and it is the worst. Really feel for you. I found sipping iced water whilst waiting for ibuprofen to kick in helped.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:15:36

Thanks.

I have had paracetamol solution inbetween as well, but I am finding I feel all drugged up. Also having to take omeprezole because I have stomach probs so AB's aren't great on it and ibuprofen on top is giving me terrible reflux. It's no wonder my back teeth are bad!

AB's finish Monday night so I'll hang fire to then. If it's still painful I'll try and bring RCT forward? It's on 24th so at least I know it's near if I can't.

rizzo thanks for suggestion of ice cold water. When this first started I was rinsing continuously and it helped as long as I didn't stop! I think the tooth is too sensitive now but will brave a try - it can't get any worse pain wise.

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Oct-11 15:22:32

Usually if you are in bad pain then they will move it forward.

Some areas have dentists in A+E departments, if you feel really unwell then contact someone, you can get infection in your jaw bone. The pain might be a build up of infection.

You can rice the area with paracetemol, as well as taking it. This is more than dental because needing RCT is crossing into medical treatment, so don't be fobbed off if you need better pain killers, such as high strength co-codamol.

Birdsgottafly Sat 08-Oct-11 15:23:00

'rinse' not rice blush

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:27:35

Oh rinsing that sounds good. It's liquid paracetamol I have (DS'!) so may try that.

It has been my jaw thats painful although just the tooth now so I wonder if the infection had spread there?

I have been making the appointments out side of work (LSA so shorter hrs and hols off) as that is expected.

I think I'll try and see if RCT for abcess classes as dental surgery? that way missing work (again as I has yesterday off!) could be justified.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:28:32

I was pondering how I'd

Rice
Ice
Compress and
Elevate a tooth.

wink grin

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:28:48

rice hmm REST!!!!!

Dawndonna Sat 08-Oct-11 15:30:52

Anbesol is useful.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:34:47

Ibruprofen? For an abcessed tooth? Like taking a fart to a shit fight, mate.

Can you beg your OOH dentist for codydramol? It's the only thing that touched the pain when I had an abcess/impacted tooth. The blessed relief I felt when the first dose kicked in was heaven.

Hope you feel better soon.

MigratingCoconuts Sat 08-Oct-11 15:36:21

oh!!!

Just gotten over a deeply painful toothache after a penecillin prescription this week!! I really do empathise.

carabos Sat 08-Oct-11 15:44:28

Ring emergency dentist and have it taken out. I started RCT in an attempt to hold onto a cracked back tooth. Got the abcess after the first session and decided the flame wasn't worth the candle. Had it out, all good.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:47:21

co-dyramol <rings chemist>. If I can get that OTC it sounds like it will do the job. I'll try OOH dentist if not or maybe OOH GP? I'll try anbesol too. Actually I'll try anything!

I really do not think I can mange another night of no/ very interupted sleep.

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 15:52:36

Oh the chemist sells the painkillers. grin Not the super strength ones but I'll try them now and then get stronger tomorrow if it doesn't work. I'm now half way through AB and the pain has localised, so the infection is obviously shrinking.

I hope by tomorrow it will have eased some more.

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 16:13:18

I don't think you will get it over the counter. It's s-t-r-o-n-g stuff! You need it though.

You poor thing. I remember it now. I was talking about it on another thread this week and I said I can say with conviction that abcessed tooth is more painful than childbirth. I would happily give birth over having another abcessed tooth any day.

sarahtigh Sat 08-Oct-11 16:29:45

I'm a dentist so stand away from door it would not work, at best remove part of crown will still leave the roots which are causing the trouble, it only ever worked on really really wobbly baby teeth and is still a very silly idea but i understand why when in pain it seems good!

antibiotics take at least 48 hours to start working, I do not know your medical history but you can take normally 2x 500mg paracetamol 4 toimes per day and 1 x 400mg ibuprofen 3 times a day ( not if you are asthmatic)alternate them so taking something every 3 hours ie 7am P 10am I 1pm p etc, NHS 24 with a medical history may be better placed to advise on pain control, are the pain killers working at all? all this assumes you are fit and healthy with no allergies etc

drinking strong coffee with paracetmol boosts its effects, drinking milk with ibuprofen will help with reflux/acid

if no better on monday you can ask to have tooth out but more than likely it will be feeling a bit better by then, you are highly unlikely to get emergency appointment today, if tomorrow morning you think you really can't cope till monday ie you could not sleep even with painkillers ring at 8.30 to 9am tomorrow most emergency appointments given out on first come first served basis if you met triage criteria

although you are in a lot of pain etc, the signs of something worsening are you can not swallow properly, the amount you can open your mouth before it hurts is getting less . if it is tender to touch right down your neck towards collarbone

good luck

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 16:30:25

I've just been down to chemist (luckily it's about 800m away!) and bought something called dihydrocodeine. Its a lower strength version of codydramol apparently. The OOH dentist is engaged but apparently it's not 24 hours <helpful> so if I don't get through these will have to do until tomorrow morning at 8am. <prepares speed dial!>

It is working. I have just been brave and put the kettle on - a cup of coffee with put these painkilling babies to the test. grin

bups I think your right. I feel more emotional and tired now than I did with DS's 48 hour labour followed by ECS. Mindyou DS is no longer a cute newborn bundle of joy I'd forgive anything - but a stroppy 7yo so that might make a difference. wink

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 16:35:38

sarahtigh thankyou. We x posted there a bit I think.

I have got the dihydrocodeine and will take that, I have been taking the Ibuprofen 3 x a day. The painkillers take about 1/2 to work and then work for about 2 hours. They are only dulling pain but it is improving. I have had AB for 2 days. I'm on my 3rd day. The pain is now localised whereas my whole jaw, ear and tooth were painful and swollen so it is obviously improving.

I think I feel worse today because I'm so tired iyswim?

BupcakesandCunting Sat 08-Oct-11 16:36:56

BOO, I honestly did consider topping myself when I had an abcess in my tooth. It was awful. No escape, throbbing, nagging pain. I actually banged my head off the wall one night. sad

BOOareHaunting Sat 08-Oct-11 16:52:32

Yes I did that last night too. blush Actually the bedside table!

On the upside these painkillers have worked grin I actually feel like moving! I have promised DS he can stay up and watch X factor tonight so hopefully if I get some sleep I'll get a lie in too! <counts number of painkillers in packet>

I agree with you about the pain. It is so intense and is making me feel like I'm in some kind of bubble - I really don't think you could describe it to someone.

It sounds really pathetic that toothache can be that bad!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now