Talk

Advanced search

to have made a bet on something I know sod all about??

(10 Posts)
ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 07-Oct-11 21:30:54

Ok I do it every year on the Grand National. But that's usually it. Some silver tongued charmer (random old man) in the pub persuaded me to put a bet on the Rugby World Cup today. Dunno why, as it wouldn't benefit him! But anyway, I have foolishly invested £10 and was wondering if any Rugby-loving MNers could advise as to the likelihood of seeing this again....

I bet £5 on Ireland to reach the final - if this happens I receive £28 or so quid back. I also bet £5 on them winning....if this happens I receive £85 or so back..... is this likely or am I a moron? Or both? TIA x

Uglymush Fri 07-Oct-11 21:35:11

Possibly a waste of money, but if you can afford it does it really matter? In there is a possiblility you may win. As long you have bet your last pound and are not addicted relax and wait for the outcome. Good Luck x

aldiwhore Fri 07-Oct-11 21:36:01

Dunno, I only bet on Purple. So far, over the years I'm pretty much on an even keel with my friend who scours the papers and old men for tips.

<shrugs>

Actual winnings to date less investment = about £9

troisgarcons Fri 07-Oct-11 21:37:13

Well, Ireland would have to beat Wales, then beat the winner of England or France.

Isn't gonna happen is it?

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Fri 07-Oct-11 21:39:38

Ugly, you're right! The tenner is already 'lost' to me, therefore any winnings are a bonus. No doubt I will be kicking myself at the end of the month when I'm skint.... But hey. Plus now a good reason to get up early :-)

BruciesDollyDealer Fri 07-Oct-11 21:40:58

i do it all the time

i bet that harry redknapp would return as manager to portsmouth after he flounced

they all laughed at me, i know sod all about football, but i had a feeling in my waters LOL - and i won!!

Now there's a comment that's a hostage to fortune, troisgarcons!

As I recall from DH's blethering on the subject, France played like puddings against Tonga, and England didn't exactly cover themselves in glory against Scotland last week, so you never know.

In answer to the OP; YANBU as long as you can afford to lose the money!

MCos Fri 07-Oct-11 22:32:10

Fingers X'ed for Ireland tomorrow! I don't have any money on them, afraid to jinx them.

LaWeasel Fri 07-Oct-11 22:35:03

Just think of it as a bit of fun and it doesn't matter.

I think Ireland have a good chance but I'm being quiet about it as will be watching with Welsh DH!

ButWhyIsTheGinGone Sat 08-Oct-11 10:39:22

Bollocks! Lesson learned!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now