Talk

Advanced search

to get a tattoo, as a 40th birthday present to myself?

(48 Posts)
harrietlichman Fri 07-Oct-11 18:51:24

I know, I know, it's a blatant symbol of a mid-life crisis, but I have dithered and blown hot and cold for years. I am thinking of something on my shoulder, not visible to anyone, really, but me and DH. RL friends have reacted in different ways, from polite encouragement, to 'what the be-jaysus would you do that for??' so I put it to the mn jury - is it the saddest thing ever a 40 year old mum of two could do, or should I go for it?

ChaoticAngelofSamhain Fri 07-Oct-11 18:59:19

I'm 40 and I have two small tattoos. The first when I was 28 and the second a few years later. Think about it because it is permanent but there's no reason why you shouldn't just because you're 40.

bettieblue Fri 07-Oct-11 19:05:06

Not at all, I had one at 30 (following break of a 7 year relationship so defintely having some sort of crisis!). I haven't regreted it (im 41 now) but it is really small and its on my lower back (knicker line height). I would just think very carefully about size, design and personally I wouldn't have it on my shoulder (other people will see it in summer when you wear strappy tops so it wouldn't really just be for you and DH-) and I don't really like them there but thats just me. If you want one go for it and never mind what anyone else thinks!

PeriPathetic Fri 07-Oct-11 19:06:20

If you have to ask, the answer is no, don't get one.

flatbellyfella Fri 07-Oct-11 19:07:27

I am not a tattoo person myself but would say if it's something you have wanted to do for years, go for it. Any ideas what you would have?

wantstosleepnow Fri 07-Oct-11 19:09:11

If you want one, and you've thought about it. Then why are other peoples opinions going to matter?

You will have people come on here and tell you they are tacky and horrible, but really?!! Does it matter?

Again... if you want one and you've thought about it then do it.

Even the awful tattoo I have, I dont regret. Because it reminds me of what I was like when I was 15 blush

LunarRose Fri 07-Oct-11 19:09:13

Go for it, I'm all for growng old disgracefully! I have a card on the wall that says women don't grow older they just find yourself.

My sister decided to get her firs tattoo at that age. Looks super and she's still delighted with it. (incidentally though seeing her actually get put me off, I don't have the same pain threshold grin)

If you want it, and it means something to you (i think that's really important) then go for it.

Blu Fri 07-Oct-11 19:09:23

A short while before my 40th b'day I went to my lovely longstanding hairdresser and suggested I go blonde.
She said 'do you have a particular birthday approaching?' and when I said yes she said 'I never agree to anything dreastic on the run up to a 40th birthday'.

Tattoo-ists should adopt the same ethics.

Wait til 6 months after your birthday and if you still want one, get it done, and be proud of it.

Tortington Fri 07-Oct-11 19:10:34

oh god - why dont you just go and have a I DONT GIVE A FLYING FUCK moment?

stop asking us and dithering about

live how you want to live

and fuck em all

babycham42 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:14:12

I had a tattoo done on my shoulder 24 years ago.I have always loved it.The only thing I have regretted is not having it done somewhere more visible.I would like another if ever I can afford it on my upper arm.

Don"t worry about pain. If you can have kids you can have tattoos.

If YOU want it DO it.If you don"t then don"t.Who gives a toss what anyone else thinks. Life is too short....

YANBU I had mine just before my 38th birthday then my second at the same time as DH had his first when we both turned 40 , if you want it go for it, just be sure first thats all.

issey6cats Fri 07-Oct-11 19:26:48

why not my cute little pegasus on the top of my right arm was my 40th birthday pressie to myself and i still love it and have never regretted getting it

Andrewofgg Fri 07-Oct-11 19:27:58

Well, if you want to take Samantha Cameron as a role model . . .

Blu Fri 07-Oct-11 19:31:05

Custy is right.
Just get 'I don't give a flying fuck' across your arse.

PomBearAtTheGatesOfDawn Fri 07-Oct-11 19:53:00

Go for it grin Find the right design and the right person to do it and go get it. It's no business of anyone else's, although some people will take great delight in telling you why THEY hate them in great and lengthy detail. Just take no notice wink
A tattooist shop in (I think) Scarbrough used to have a big sign in hi swindow saying "The only difference between those with and without a tattoo is the tattooed person doesn't care if you have none".

Grumpla Fri 07-Oct-11 19:54:52

It really depends what the tattoo is of.

If you're considering a cute kitten on one arse cheek, staring at a butterfly that appears to have just exited your bumhole, YABU.

[I have actually MET SOMEONE who had this done for a 40th birthday....]

harrietlichman Fri 07-Oct-11 19:55:13

You lot are ace! I want a double spiral design, if it's not on my shoulder then where??I am NOT having anything on my arse, thank you - I wouldn't inflict that on anyone!

Wurg Fri 07-Oct-11 19:55:36

you should love a particular design more than love the idea of having a tattoo, otherwise you're destined to regret it. What would you have done?

Wurg Fri 07-Oct-11 19:56:14

xpost - that sounds rather cool

mummynoseynora Fri 07-Oct-11 19:59:12

I had one as a present to myself for my 30th... have wanted one since I was 19! but just wanted to make sure I chose the right design that I wouldn't regret. In the end I went to a fab guy who designed it for me, incorporating things which mean the world to me (my DC) and I love it... Its on my lower back, so no one see's it but me and the kids and DH ... very happy camper here

Andrewofgg Fri 07-Oct-11 20:00:04

Just get 'I don't give a flying fuck' across your arse.

Now I know they say the pain is not too bad, but it must hurt some when it is new and OP may want to sit down . . .

Maisiethemorningsidecat Fri 07-Oct-11 20:02:15

I wanted one for my 40th, but DH was totally against the idea so I didn't (which, believe me, is not usually how I operate). I say go for it!

troisgarcons Fri 07-Oct-11 20:03:55

Personally I dont like them.
But it's up to you.
I'm not wearing it.

op - think about lower back, wrist, ankle, hip depends what you want really,

holyShmoley Fri 07-Oct-11 20:10:12

ok. Just to be different. I think tattoos are gross, and have never seen one that improved a person in any way. (IMO). I would never say that to anyone but it is my actual opinion.
However it is a big fat none of my business, but if you think you might have second thoughts if someone couldn't fake liking it then perhaps not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now