Talk

Advanced search

to ask this cyclist to use the road not the pavement?

(33 Posts)
fatsatsuma Fri 07-Oct-11 18:47:26

I'm walking along the pavement beside a busy road, with my 3 year old DD zigzagging around behind me. He's cycling towards me, on the pavement, fast. And he's on his mobile.

I step into the middle of the pavement to make him slow down and prevent him from cannoning into my oblivious DD. As he whizzes past I ask him 'Why don't you go on the road?' He yells back 'Why don't YOU go on the road?'

I make an exception for children, nervous people going slowly, etc etc. But surely there is no excuse for a fit adult to cycle at high speed on the pavement?

shesparkles Fri 07-Oct-11 18:48:46

YANBU he's a twat

Andrewofgg Fri 07-Oct-11 18:48:54

He's an arsehole. There's a lot of them about.

fatsatsuma Fri 07-Oct-11 18:49:38

It makes me furious. Pedestrians have been killed by cyclists using the pavement.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Oct-11 18:49:55

YANBU.

Like you, I don't mind children and nervous adults on the pavement - actually any under-control courteous cyclist is OK by me. But this chap was way out of line, both in his action and his response to you.

SickleBOO Fri 07-Oct-11 18:55:50

Oooh what a fabulous come back he made. Betcha Oscar Wilde is turning in his grave at such a clever riposte.
YANBU. I hope he gets itchy piles & his bike seat makes them worse.

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 18:56:22

I feel like I'm seeing a lot more cyclists on pavements these days. I do not get out of the way any more, I stay right in the middle of the pavement with the pushchair, swaying slightly just to provide doubt as to which way they can pass. The pavements are only wide enough for pedestrians and lots of the roads have rubbish cycle lanes. Why do it?

EllaDee Fri 07-Oct-11 18:57:32

What a wanker. So many people don't even know they're not meant to be on the pavement - sounds like he didn't even know he was in the wrong. Grrr.

Fixture Fri 07-Oct-11 18:58:06

YANBU. If an adult can't cycle on the road for whatever reason they should get off their bicycle and push it along.

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 18:58:12

Oh, yes, I forgot, YANBU. Well done for saying something. I am usually too busy cats bum mouthing to come up with anything clever to say. Plus I am scared of being beaten up.

Bunbaker Fri 07-Oct-11 19:02:02

It's illegal to cycle on the pavement. He is an a****hole!

40notTrendy Fri 07-Oct-11 19:03:14

Push him off next time you see him grin

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 19:15:22

Trouble is, bunbaker, that whole 'cycling on the pavement is illegal' issue is apparently not straighforward. I thought it was illegal for bikes over a certain size but I was shouted at corrected on another thread once for saying this...as if it was sensible and considate to pedestrians to cycle on pavements hmm Wish I knew the definitive truth about the legality of cycling on a pavement.

Even the differeence in speed between a bike and a pedestrian should be enough to make it illegal for adults to cycle on pavements. But what do I know other than -a-- bit of basic physics.

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 19:16:10

Excuse typos

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Oct-11 19:17:45

It is illegal but its an area in which the police are expected to exercise their discretion.

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 19:20:07

Well, that's good, grimma. All that's needed is for the cyclists to be informed now grin

dexter73 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:29:46

I said to the 40+ man on a bike who was behind me today 'Does your mum not let you cycle on the road yet?'. He looked suitably embarassed and got off the pavement!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Oct-11 19:33:00

grin good one dexter!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 07-Oct-11 19:38:06

Cyclists should certainly be informed. They should know that if they are tolerated on pavements it is as a courtesy to be earned by good behaviour, not a right.

In places there's room for peaceful coexistence. Most mornings when I drop DD at the bus stop there's a dad on a bike accompanying a little girl on a scooter. The pavement is quite wide with few pedestrians (at 7:30 anyway!) whereas the road is a busy A road, narrow at that point (2 lanes queuing at lights). They give way if needed, thank me for getting the dog close to heel - all perfectly civilised and safe.

AuntieMaggie Fri 07-Oct-11 19:43:10

argh - this really peeves me! even at 6:30am there are cyclists on the pavement trying to run me over! (that and the cars and cyclists that think they don't have to stop at crossings at that time in the morning!)

thats a good one dexter - will try that next time!

the problem in bristol is some of the cycle paths are on the pavements and some aren't so people just ride on the pavement

welliesandpyjamas Fri 07-Oct-11 19:47:42

Love it, dexter!

I agree, grimma. Certain situations, mixed with politeness, can work out for everyone.

ChrissasMissis Fri 07-Oct-11 19:56:00

I hate, hate, HATE cyclists who cycle on the pavement. Especially those Tour de France-wannabes, who don't show the respect for pedestrians that they demand from car drivers. Especially the one who ran a red light and hit me when I was seven months pregnant (I was fine, luckily).

Cycling on the pavement is not legal.

www.bikehub.co.uk/featured-articles/cycling-and-the-law/

BoozeDilemma Fri 07-Oct-11 19:56:24

I know a 14 yr old lad who was cycling at a fair old speed, no helmet, on a pavement, and got knocked over by someone pulling out of their drive (obv not expecting a cyclist on pavement). Week-long coma, rehab ongoing, total loss of memory, and awaiting further brain scan to check for long-term damage.

Please don't do it, don't let your older kids/teens do it, and please check carefully when you leave your drive.
sad

JarethTheGoblinKing Fri 07-Oct-11 20:11:13

I'd have pushed him over.

Why didn't you have hold of your 3yo? (well, someone had to say it...)

diggingintheribs Fri 07-Oct-11 20:21:55

I saw the police stop a cyclist going the wrong way down a one way street. Told him if he wanted to ride he had to follow the rules of the rode but if he was happy to get off and push he was welcome to use the pavement

I also hate it when cyclists go through red lights - i nearly got hit twice today crossing the road as they weaved out from between cars and there was no way i could see them (not that I should have to be looking and running the gauntlet!!)

I don't think people realise how dangerous it is. I make exceptions for kids or people going slowly (walker speed). DD is a determined walker and even with her back pack/reins thingy she strays to far and i regularly have to scoop her out of the way of cyclists. I am really vigilant about making sure she is between the house side and the buggy as the bikes can't get past that way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now