Talk

Advanced search

To really enjoy old ladies cooing over my baby?

(28 Posts)
Sleepglorioussleep Fri 07-Oct-11 14:08:38

Makes me appreciate her more even when I'm exhausted! Read a thread talking about m and s coffee shop being full of adoring old ladies and I suddenly realised why I like it so much!

Proudnreallyveryscary Fri 07-Oct-11 14:09:12

YANBU, tis lovely.

sausagesandmarmelade Fri 07-Oct-11 14:11:38

Babies (the little people generally) always make me smile....

and I'm not even old!

Yummygummybear Fri 07-Oct-11 14:12:13

YANBU.

It's nice to read this for a change. I've seen too many threads on various sites from people complaining about people touching/breathing on/looking at shock their babies!

marzipananimal Fri 07-Oct-11 14:12:20

YANBU I love it too smile

DaisyDaresYOU Fri 07-Oct-11 14:17:37

Yanbu old ladies(and men)still coo over dd now and she's 3.I used to find it funny though when she was out on her wrist strap at 15months they used to come up and speak to her thinking she'd answer them back smile

StephA Fri 07-Oct-11 14:19:51

I love love love the way older ladies coo over my little baby - it makes me proud, he eats it up, and the ladies are obviously enjoying him. What could be bad about making and sharing happiness in the world?

JugsMcGee Fri 07-Oct-11 14:20:38

YANBU, I love it.

I smile at babies and I'm not old! Although some mums scowl at me when I do. I must have an eau de paedo about me.

BOOareHaunting Fri 07-Oct-11 14:21:41

YANBU I used to love it. I loved the ones who offered to hold DS whilst I ate/drank even more. smile

pettyprudence Fri 07-Oct-11 14:41:56

Ooooh I love it too. Instead of old ladies touching ds though I have to stop him grabbing their hair. They think he's being all cute stroking their cheek but I know what his dastardly plan is... (ds 6mo). He knows when he is being adored though as he can be grumpy as anything but as soon as there is a new lady in sight he whacks up the charm to 11 grin

Sleepglorioussleep Fri 07-Oct-11 14:46:18

When dd1 was a baby she would hit on someone in the supermarket and smile at them until she got the desired coo, then move onto the next person! Ds was almost resolute in not smiling at strangers, so far it seems dd2 is like dd1! Love it! But I don't do that thing I've seen people do where they see their baby do something cute then look round for someone to notice. However much I want to...

MollyintheMoon Fri 07-Oct-11 14:49:01

YABU because the old ladies tell me they've never seen a baby as beautiful as my DD and I know they're not just saying that. grin

CoffeeDog Fri 07-Oct-11 14:49:43

Went to FIL in Wales when twins were 3mths went into a local family pub for lunch... 10 minutes after comming in owners (late 60's)had both boys out of buggy and sat with them for an hour so me and DH could 'enjoy' our hot lunch.. i have never been more gratefull.

I also LOVE it when i am struggerling to get the twins into a trolly at Tesco and a old lady comes up grabs their feet and yanks them into the seat... i could hug them each time they do it ;)

MardyMwahHaHa Fri 07-Oct-11 14:51:35

YANBU. I'm a middle aged lady and I now find myself doing it.

I was always really surprised at how much it happened when I had my first. But I was always really proud inside at how much they liked my pfb. then I realised that they'd say all babies were lovely anyway.

NorfolkBroad Fri 07-Oct-11 14:51:39

I used to LOVE it! Made it feel like such a special time. I also loved being made a fuss of when pregnant. I miss it actually!

pigletmania Fri 07-Oct-11 14:58:59

Yanbu can I join the gran/grandad lovers. They are great, no problem with them touching and admiring my dc

globex Fri 07-Oct-11 15:15:14

LOVE it!!

And have now turned from someone terrified of children into a baby-botherer myself...

WitchesBroomForMyChin Fri 07-Oct-11 15:18:28

YANBU, its lovely and you get to talk about your baby with somone new rather than boring your friends to death again or at least i do

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 07-Oct-11 15:26:35

A work colleague and I go to one of those early-bird restaurants where a million older people coo over DD. She works the room. She had two tables going yesterday and the lovely (80 if he was a day) man next to us was entranced.

SpanglyGiraffe Fri 07-Oct-11 15:29:31

YANBU, it really is lovely smile It makes me feel that i can't be doing too bad of a job!

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Fri 07-Oct-11 15:35:56

I remember being rather put out once that ds's Old Lady/Gent Coo count was lower than usual one day grin

jimper Fri 07-Oct-11 15:38:28

YANBU - I live in Eastern Europe at the moment. DD is 4 months old and absolutely gorgeous (even if I do say so myself!) But here they have this superstition about the 'evil eye', which says you should never look at a stranger's baby, as it will cause bad luck. She is totally ignored sad It breaks my heart! I LOVE coming home to Scotland where everyone says she is a 'wee tootie'!

notcitrus Fri 07-Oct-11 15:51:46

YANBU - I loved people cooing over ds and taking an interest. I meant to go to baby group when he was really young but I was late and it looked scary with someone giving a talk, so hiked up the common to the caff, where I had a cuppa and bun while various elderly people told me how wonderful I was and he was for an hour.

Much more useful!

Though I did get miffed when the cooing really cut down after ds was 9 months or so. And the few who cooed and then woke him up by pulling his blanket off were not enjoyed!! But those 8 months of chatting to people on the bus daily were lovely.

Meglet Fri 07-Oct-11 15:55:21

Yes, it's fab. DS was a particular target for old ladies as he had such big blue eyes.

happydotcom Fri 07-Oct-11 16:01:27

I love it too. The only reason I go to the local post office! My mum is a fantastic knitter so they all comment on his 'hand knitted pram blanket' too.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now