Talk

Advanced search

To think that eating chilli you havent cooked yourself is always going to be a risk?

(40 Posts)
GalaxyWeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 12:11:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oggy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:13:00

No more so than eating any other meat dish you haven't cooked yourself surely? Perhaps I am missing something here.

feelingratheroverwhelmed Fri 07-Oct-11 12:14:58

Seems a bit harsh over a simple chilli! I'd maybe have similar feelings about something with seafood in it but I think probably IBU there too.

I love chilli, we eat it all the time. Has never made me sick!

Yummygummybear Fri 07-Oct-11 12:14:59

YABU.

I don't know anyone who has been ill after chilli. Homemade or not. Is there any reason chilli would make you ill but not fish & chips?

headfairy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:15:44

I'm with oggy on this one, it's no different to eating say, bolognaise sauce you haven't made yourself. The only difference between the two is the addition of some chilli powder and some kidney beans, neither of which will cause tummy upsets.

If he had it with rice, I'd suspect that as being a much more likely source of an upset tummy. Rice not kept properly hot, or reheated insufficiently is the cause of more bugs than dodgy curries/chillis etc that people usually blame.

yippeekaiyay Fri 07-Oct-11 12:15:49

Are you pissed off that he is sick?

picnicbasketcase Fri 07-Oct-11 12:16:15

Regardless of whether you like the guilty food, you should try to be nice to someone with food poisoning. I wouldn't eat mussels for example but if DP did and ended up ill, I wouldn't say 'Serves you right for eating something that can make you ill.' Anything you eat could get you the same way and I'm sure you'd rather he was sympathetic.

On the other hand, I don't balme you for being annoyed that your plans have had to be changed because of his illness.

So... YAB a little U, but a bit R as well. Hope he's better soon and that your shopping trip isn't too stressful.

bulletpoint Fri 07-Oct-11 12:16:16

No. I dont agree with you, most people have the "runs"/tummy upset after eating chillie because its too "hot" for them not because its contaminated.

In other words its all about knowing what quantity of chillie your tummy can take, you cold quite easily overdo it even if you were cooking it yourself.

sallymonella Fri 07-Oct-11 12:16:44

YABU, I've never thought that eating other people's chilli was particularly risky! As Oggy says, am I missing something?

rubyrubyruby Fri 07-Oct-11 12:16:46

Why the chilli fear?

Statistically it's highly unlikely that any food ever is going to make you ill. Though obviously occasionally it will.

GalaxyWeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 12:18:04

squeakytoy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:19:03

I would wake him up, leave him with the toddlers, and go shopping alone.

Ephiny Fri 07-Oct-11 12:19:06

You do have to be a bit careful with kidney beans, as they can make you ill if they're undercooked. I'm fairly sure our work canteen used the tinned ones though, which should be fine!

PhishFoodAddiction Fri 07-Oct-11 12:20:09

I've certainly never thought of eating chilli as being risky...

Chicken and seafood maybe, if you're not sure that it is properly cooked.

I think YAB a bit mean to your H, he didn't get ill on purpose.

You just sound peed off that your plans have had to change so YABU.

Crosshair Fri 07-Oct-11 12:24:12

lol?

GalaxyWeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 12:26:15

ripstheirthroatoutliveupstairs Fri 07-Oct-11 12:27:26

I would describe eating prawns or any seafood which was sitting without refrigeration in the sun all day as risky. Or that japanese fish you need a licence to prepare as risky, I wouldn't describe chilli in the same breath.
My DH got food poisening from a chip shop in Chesterfield.

OneHandFlapping Fri 07-Oct-11 12:27:38

Surely most people don't get the runs after eating something with chilli in? Maybe one or two slightly more urgent trips to the loo, but not toing and froing all night?

loveglove Fri 07-Oct-11 12:27:52

I see where you're coming from - with the kidney bean risk!

headfairy Fri 07-Oct-11 12:29:37

I doubt very much that too much chilli powder would cause someone to get the runs for 12 hours unless their stomach was particularly sensitive. It may be the case that he ate something that wasn't kept in ideal storage conditions and it's caused his tummy upset. In any case I don't suppose he did it on purpose, so I wouldn't be getting annoyed with him.

TheCountessOlenska Fri 07-Oct-11 12:31:31

It was probably the rice if he has genuine food poisoning.

If he just has the runs after too much spicy chilli, he needs to strap on a pair and get on with his day!

BertieBotts Fri 07-Oct-11 12:33:07

Most people use tinned kidney beans though, no risk with those as they are pre-cooked.

GalaxyWeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 12:34:45

GalaxyWeaver Fri 07-Oct-11 12:37:01

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now