Talk

Advanced search

to wonder why another parent asked my dd to read to her?

(56 Posts)
lockets Thu 06-Oct-11 21:08:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

scurryfunge Thu 06-Oct-11 21:10:28

She wants to gauge her own child's ability and wants to use your child as a reference.

she was comparing grin I betcha.

She wants to see if her child is ahead of yours.

I hear it's quite common.

hmm some parents are insane.

troisgarcons Thu 06-Oct-11 21:11:40

If she has concerns about her own child, she may have 'used' yours to validate those concerns. Which is inappropriate (not to mention nosey going through the contact book).

I'd ask her outright tomorrow.

TandB Thu 06-Oct-11 21:11:56

Of course she was comparing! What else could it be?

If your DD read better than hers she probably has her poor DD tied to her desk at this very moment being drilled in vocabulary and comprehension!

ballstoit Thu 06-Oct-11 21:12:00

Maybe that's when she hears her own child read, and she thought it would easier to persuade her if they were both reading?

TBH, I have enough to do in hearing my own DC read, do their homework and do 15 mins each Speech Therapy practice, I certainly wouldn't be hearing a child on a play date read!

Did she write in the reading record/diary?

rhondajean Thu 06-Oct-11 21:12:34

Bit strange but could be several reasons:

One of those encouraging parents who like to put learning into everything?

Other child was doing their homework as per routine and she decided to get your child to join in?

Shes a bit nervous about dd's ability and wanted to be able to gauge it against someone else from the same class?

She thought she was doing you a favour by getting the homework out of the way so you didnt get a tired child home with homework to do?

Shes jsut a bit strange?

I wouldnt think that its done any harm, so personally I wouldnt get too wound up about it.

Rhinestone Thu 06-Oct-11 21:12:48

Weird I agree. Phone her up and thank her for having your DD and say, "Thanks so much for doing her reading with her, that's really above and beyond!"

Let's her know you know and your DD tells you things.

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 21:13:53

What scurry says... I don't find it unusual or odd particularly, maybe she's worried about her own child.

Though I would prefer to have a chat first, iyswim?

My mate was panicing about her child's handwriting, he'd got a lower score than she was expecting so I showed her my son's... who'd got a higher score. Handwriting was exactly the same really, her son's was maybe a little neater in fact, but what her son was struggling with was punctuation, capitals, spacing etc., She's stopped fretting about the handwriting now and is instead working on the areas that were obviously missing... I'm sure its helped her.

lockets Thu 06-Oct-11 21:14:03

needshoes Thu 06-Oct-11 21:17:12

I always wash out my DS's friends lunchbox at the same time I do ours. Ive always done it since they started (now yr3) and i hope his mum doesnt mind, in fact i think she appreciates a job saved, but i would never look further into his bag for reading charts etc.
Although i did read on here once that even doing that was wrong :{

troisgarcons Thu 06-Oct-11 21:18:39

The contact book thing is very invasive.

I would mention it to her. AND I'd mention it to school as ell.

needshoes Thu 06-Oct-11 21:19:14

going into the bag towash lunch boxes i mean!

carabos Thu 06-Oct-11 21:22:49

I'm appalled! I can't believe that a parent would think it's ok to look at someone else's child's contact book. What a bloody nerve.

WilsonFrickett Thu 06-Oct-11 21:22:50

I can see how I may be tempted to do a little, er, compare and contrasting? But reading the contact book is actually out of order OP.

ILoatheMickeyMouseClubhouse Thu 06-Oct-11 21:27:19

Another mum did this when DD2 was in reception; I didn't mind too much as DD is an excellent reader and I was happy to show this off grin

TheOriginalFAB Thu 06-Oct-11 21:30:22

Reading the contact book is totaslly out of order. I would not be happy about that at all. Cheeky cow.

ChippingIn Thu 06-Oct-11 21:30:41

trois - why on earth would you mention it to the school?

The reading book could have lots of valid reasons... but the contact book, that's a bit invasive.

troisgarcons Thu 06-Oct-11 21:33:47

Why would I mention it? because its not normal behaviour and at that age in primary schools, there are often underlying issues. It could be a piece of a jigsaw a teacher needs to make a full picture.

lockets Thu 06-Oct-11 21:36:46

EverythingInMjiniature Thu 06-Oct-11 21:38:11

betabaker Thu 06-Oct-11 21:40:19

I might, if I was feeling 'curious' have a sneaky look at the book - but not in front of your DD. So as she did it openly, I wouldn't worry too much. Maybe you can return the favour? smile

lockets Thu 06-Oct-11 21:40:32

lockets Thu 06-Oct-11 21:41:36

betabaker Thu 06-Oct-11 21:44:15

Well maybe they have changed since my DCs were that age. Just curiosity, if I didn't know the parents, like you might ask what they 'normally have for tea'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now