Talk

Advanced search

To thinks that parents...

(19 Posts)
Limejelly Thu 06-Oct-11 18:39:06

... who turn up 30 minutes late to collect their child, then swan in without so much as a thanks, sorry or explanation are taking piss?!

<fecked off teacher emotion>

FabbyChic Thu 06-Oct-11 18:40:31

Yep defo taking the piss.

ChippingIn Thu 06-Oct-11 18:43:05

Yes - definitely taking the piss. Would you have back up if you told the parent that next time you are obliged to call SS ?? <not that I think you should call them, just hoped it might make them think twice about doing it again>

MangoMonster Thu 06-Oct-11 18:45:33

Maybe something really pressing is on her mind and she was preoccupied...

Limejelly Thu 06-Oct-11 18:50:13

Good idea chippingin!

I have had a crap day anyway and this really just topped it off. Is it Friday yet sad

Feel better now I've got if off my chest though smile

eaglewings Thu 06-Oct-11 18:57:04

Have a wine lime jelly, I'd give you chocolates but I've eaten them sorry

Limejelly Thu 06-Oct-11 19:05:12

Thank you smile

NatashaBee Thu 06-Oct-11 19:15:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Vallhala Thu 06-Oct-11 19:16:06

Yes, without question.

Offers wine

pozzled Thu 06-Oct-11 19:23:22

Oh I feel your pain. I'm on maternity leave now but spent last year doing the late collections once a week for a large primary school. We have parents who are half an hour late three times a week. And parents who will be an hour late on more than one occasion. Downright rude and unfair on teachers and children.

<Disclaimer- I am NOT talking about those parents who have a family emergency or similar and come in apologising profusely- that I can completely understand.>

manicbmc Thu 06-Oct-11 19:27:37

I think we have a policy of contacting parents if they are 30 minutes late and if no joy then SS get involved. We had one once that couldn't pick her child up because she was too drunk and her daughter (who was about 17) couldn't pick her brother and 2 sisters up because she was at work.

Once I was 15 minutes late, due to an appointment running late, but I called to school to let them know. How difficult is it to do that?

WilsonFrickett Thu 06-Oct-11 19:30:18

There was a mix-up with my friend's DC pick up today, I didn't have my phone on me so couldn't just grab the boy as I thought his DGM was on her way and would panic if he wasn't there. My friend called the school 3 times to say she was on her way and no-one answered.... just sayin'...

manicbmc Thu 06-Oct-11 19:31:34

No, but at least you were there to wait with him.

pozzled Thu 06-Oct-11 19:42:09

Wilson, I guarantee that if you'd phoned my school 3 times someone ould have answered. Some parents do phone. The vast majority don't bother and we waste spend an awful lot of time trying to track them down.

Lara2 Thu 06-Oct-11 20:12:23

Most definately!! Shoot the bastards!

olibeansmummy Thu 06-Oct-11 20:31:42

Yep it's so annoying! We have parents who drop their (ks1) children off at 8:30 and pick them up after 3:30 and expect us to look after them for free because they have college. The school seems to welcome this though but think they may just be glad that at least some parents are trying to get I to work!!

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 20:36:36

Its really rude not to at least say sorry. I've been late before now, and postively grovelled... the teacher was very nice, happiness all round.

addictedtofrazzles Thu 06-Oct-11 20:38:07

I used to 'deposit' uncollected children either in a) school office or b) on a chair outside the staffroom whilst I had a cuppa (child then used to knock on door to say goodbye).

YANBU

notso Thu 06-Oct-11 20:41:38

In the school I used to work in if you were more than 10 mins late with no explanation then the child was sent to after school club and the parent was charged.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now