Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to eat the River Cobbler that OH bought home?

(14 Posts)
namestaken Thu 06-Oct-11 17:33:03

He thinks I'm being ridiculous.....but I seem to recall hearing so quite bad things about it, and a quick google has confirmed. He's now sulking, I feel a bit mean, AIBU?

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 17:35:29

yes, yabu

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 17:36:03

watchdog investigate river cobbler

chandellina Thu 06-Oct-11 17:36:53

It's nice

BatsUpMeNightie Thu 06-Oct-11 17:38:34

It's nasty. It's got a smingey taste and a weird texture. Give it to the cats.

thisisyesterday Thu 06-Oct-11 17:39:55

if you google you can find bad stuff about any fish. i wouldn't like to comment on how much of it is true, but personally i wouldn't eat any farmed fish

salmon and again

tuna

namestaken Thu 06-Oct-11 17:41:00

Thanks for the link thisis. I think all of the scare mongering has made me oddly squeamish about it.....but if Watchdog says it fine, I believe them! Will stop being so princessy!

harassedandherbug Thu 06-Oct-11 17:42:03

YABU

I love it, but it's not as cheap as it was now that everyone is buying it!

namestaken Thu 06-Oct-11 17:44:10

Well that's the thing, I do try and avoid farmed fish, but was thinking as it's already in the fridge, this once probably won't kill us. Just really sqeamish about it. I might just push it around a bit to stop OH from sulking. And then give it to the cat.

LaWeasel Thu 06-Oct-11 17:50:25

We've had it before - I liked it! Was very disappointed to see it's not nearly as cheap as it was. Fish is so madly expensive.

MrsFruitcake Thu 06-Oct-11 18:19:17

I wouldn't buy River Cobbler, it doesn't taste nice imo.

My DCs like Pollock, Sainsburys do a pack of pollock fillets for about £1.40. I coat them in breadcrumbs and lightly fry them and the children really like it. So not all fish is expensive.

NestaFiesta Thu 06-Oct-11 18:23:02

Smoked River Cobbler is lovely in Fish Pie and totally bone free and firm.

LaWeasel Thu 06-Oct-11 18:25:19

I should probably add as a disclaimer that we love about as far away from the sea as you can in Britain, so there is not much choice anyway.

LaWeasel Thu 06-Oct-11 18:25:29

not love, live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: