Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Overheard at Toddler Group..........

(13 Posts)
WhoopsieDaisie Thu 06-Oct-11 14:34:24

2 mums of foreign extraction (Polish/Lithuanian) remarking that the 'new' mum must be foreign as she was lim and pretty and her baby was cute. They then noticed my DS (brown hair/eyes) and said he could not be English as he was so good looking hmm. I said he was mine (English, tall, blond, hefty) and they quickly changed the subject! I should have challenged them but they were both skinny and reasonably attractive.

AIBU to think that they were bloody rude and not all us English are fat/pale/ugly? <<OK I am fat and pale but I'm not ugly>>

WhoopsieDaisie Thu 06-Oct-11 14:35:17

she was slim not lim of course!

worraliberty Thu 06-Oct-11 14:36:19

Strangest thing I've heard in a long while

worraliberty Thu 06-Oct-11 14:37:27

And why wouldn't you challenge such open racism because they were both 'skinny and reasonably attractive'??

WhoopsieDaisie Thu 06-Oct-11 14:38:02

Hardly had a counter argument did I?

yippeekaiyay Thu 06-Oct-11 14:38:26

I know a couple of eastern eurpoean men who are of the opinion that all english women are butt ugly, fat, pasty, hairy and lazy

gordyslovesheep Thu 06-Oct-11 14:38:28

gosh those silly foreign types - why you would never catch the Brits using such sweeping stereotypes ...oh now - hang on ...

worraliberty Thu 06-Oct-11 14:39:28

You had no counter argument against their racist remarks...why? confused

porcamiseria Thu 06-Oct-11 16:22:21

i'd have bit there head off! that said I have noticed that te local Polish Mums are waaaaay blunter than the brits, its almost funny! I have to bite my tongue, but there is bluntness and rude, this was rude

porcamiseria Thu 06-Oct-11 16:23:03

why were they speaking english then????

ExitPursuedByaBear Thu 06-Oct-11 16:25:11

Bloody forriners.

DreamsOfSteam Thu 06-Oct-11 16:30:54

Not saying it is right, but people stereotype others all the time. People from other countries are no different.
I'd have been chuffed they said my DS was good looking.
If you have a problem, you should have pointed out to them how rude you found them at the time

Mobly Thu 06-Oct-11 17:18:53

Well I have noticed that Eastern European women do tend to be slim. It's only my limited experience obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if statistics show obesity to be higher in Britain than most Eastern European countries.

They were rude though. It's not technically racism.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now