Talk

Advanced search

To have cried when I ran over a squirrel today?

(38 Posts)
Sleepglorioussleep Thu 06-Oct-11 13:11:49

I am still a bit nauseous about it. But I eat meat and wear leather so why?

VajazzleMyBroomstick Thu 06-Oct-11 13:12:46

Because squirrels are lovely, cute little things.

YOU MURDERER grin

Vallhala Thu 06-Oct-11 13:13:30

No answer to the second question as I do neither and can't understand why people do.

As for the first, YANBU and I too would have been distraught to have killed an animal, albeit accidentally.

QueenStromba Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:04

If it was a grey squirrel just think of it as helping out the red squirrels.

squeakytoy Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:11

I am not a vegetarian, but I would still feel bad if I ran something over no matter what it was, but there is nothing you could have done, as squirrels dont have much road sense at all..

Bloodymary Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:53

Oh I would have cried as well, and yes I do eat meat and wear leather.
But they are cute!!!

ColdSancerre Thu 06-Oct-11 13:18:15

Was it a black squirrel?

I ran over a rabbit once I was very upset. YANBU.

Sleepglorioussleep Thu 06-Oct-11 13:20:49

Was a grey squirrel. Saw it very late and prob just as well as there was someone close behind me and an emergency stop might have caused three or four creatures, me and dd included to be hurt. But horrible nonetheless.

HowAboutAHotCupOfShutTheHellUp Thu 06-Oct-11 13:21:06

I would be upset too. I love squirrels ! They are aggressive little creatures, but I think that's what makes me like them more, the way they stick up for themselves, but are cute at the same time.

However, it was an accident so don't beat yourself up about it.

TotemPole Thu 06-Oct-11 13:25:25

Grey squirrels are classed as a pest aren't they? If so, just think of it as running over a pigeon and you'll be less upset.

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 13:25:51

I'd cry too. I cried when I hit a bird (or rather, it hit me!). I'm an omnivore but hate waste, so on that level, its such a bloody pointless waste of a creature isn't it? [sadface]

YouDoTheMath Thu 06-Oct-11 13:25:52

I cried once when I ran over a duck (mainly because I made the mistake of returning to the scene to find another duck mourning it sad).

I feel differently now I've had children, though - whereas I used to swerve to avoid them, in wouldn't put others at risk because of an animal now. Sorry.

Crosshair Thu 06-Oct-11 13:26:18

Accidents happen. yanbu to be upset.

Deflatedballoonbelly Thu 06-Oct-11 13:27:05

I ran over a pheasant on the motorway, it went BANG. Like a blown up paper bag. vom

YANBU.

seasickgal Thu 06-Oct-11 13:31:28

You are doing the reds a favour, better the squirrel than you and your family.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Oct-11 13:33:48

YANBU.

The first occasion I ran over something, it was a rabbit... and about 200 yards later a duck. Neither avoidable. Fortunately I was nearly home as I was in bits... incoherent for a while, poor DH thought someone in my family must have died.

Then nothing till earlier this year a cat ran into my car. I was in floods again, moving poor thing out of road and trying to find someone to ask who it belonged to - owner showed up and was very nice.

Odd thing is I'm not a big weeper - but theres something viscerally upsetting about accidentally killing a furry. (or feathery)

LydiaWickham Thu 06-Oct-11 13:38:36

YANBU - but if it makes you feel any better, grey squirrels are considered vermin like rats, (if you catch one, you're supposed to kill them, it's illegal to release them) I'm sure you'd not feel bad about killing a rat now would you?

Honestly, it was just a fluffy rat.

schroeder Thu 06-Oct-11 14:30:14

Oh I would be gutted, I blubbed like a 2 year old when I hit a pheasant, Brainless thing just stepped out in front of me.

I think a squirrel would be worse.

Pudding2be Thu 06-Oct-11 14:52:57

I had a panic attack when my springer killed a pigeon when we were on a walk. I rang my DP screaming down the phone. He had to cone home from work to calm me down

In fairness though I was heavily pregnant at the time, and I have a massive phobia of dead animals ( yes, I am a bit strange, why can't I be scared of spiders grin )

So no yanbu

Wurg Thu 06-Oct-11 14:54:52

Nah, they're just rats with a good stylist.

yippeekaiyay Thu 06-Oct-11 14:58:29

I once hit a dog with my car (accidentally, and it was off the lead in a residential area, I am not a dog killer)

I cried for days

headfairy Thu 06-Oct-11 15:01:21

Squirrels? Cute? You've obviously never been on the receiving end of a squirrel attack. They are not cute, they're vicious little bastards mostly riddled with fleas and ticks.

Not our lovely native red ones though, they're cute. It's just those bastard grey ones!

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Thu 06-Oct-11 15:04:45

I once hit a cat and killed it. It was lying down at the side of the road, I'd seen it but as I approached it ran out in front of me - don't know why. I was doing 38mph and that was that.

I was distraught. I moved it and laid it at the side of the road. I couldn't bear the thought of it just lying there being repeatedly run over.

I was really shaken up and cried for days too. The thought that someone would be wondering where that cat was that night really haunted me. I just hoped that if they found it and realised it had been moved, they'd understand how sorry I was.

It still upsets me now.

carriedababi Thu 06-Oct-11 15:06:16

<passes a tissue>

i love squirrels, but don't worry twas only an accident.

RogerMelly Thu 06-Oct-11 15:10:35

"ColdSancerre Thu 06-Oct-11 13:18:15
Was it a black squirrel?@

grin I was just about to ask the same question!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now