Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think that a Margaret Thatcher nutcracker....

(13 Posts)
SlightlyDoolally Thu 06-Oct-11 13:05:11

...is a pretty rubbish birthday present for someone with a nut allergy?

Arrived in the post for me this morning from my brother. We do not get on well, he has only met DS (2.6) once for an hour, and we are not really in touch any more.

He also has a shaky relationship with our parents, though did recently contact my mum saying he felt bad about it and wanted to see them more.

So I'm not sure how to take this birthday present. Is it meant to be an olive branch? He hasn't sent me a birthday present in living memory, so it came as quite a surprise to get anything. Or is it supposed to be a slightly mean present, since he knows I have a nut allergy? DH thinks it was meant to be mean and that I should throw it away and not acknowledge it even, but DS has become quite attached to it so I don't want to do that!

Just interested to know what others would think if you got a present like this in these circumstances? It's my brother's birthday next week, so I have to decide how to reciprocate!

LydiaWickham Thu 06-Oct-11 13:10:41

Well, it probably is a bit mean, however, where is it from? I actually think my Dad would love a Maggie nutcracker for christmas....

What I would do, even if I thought it was meant horribly, is make it look like his plan to piss you off backfired, send a thank you card saying that it made you and DH laugh, and DS adores it. You look like the bigger person then.

TheControversialJessie Thu 06-Oct-11 13:12:54

Maybe he saw it and thought the idea of a Margaret Thatcher anything was pretty damn hilarious, and he completely forgot about your nut allergy?

Or he thought it was so funny, you'd like it anyway?

ItsGrimUpNorth Thu 06-Oct-11 13:13:33

I second LydiaWickham.

LydiaWickham Thu 06-Oct-11 13:13:46

For his present, assuming he's not allergic to anything, you need to go get either a Lynx gift pack or some novelty socks/boxers/tie (Simpsons ones, if at all possible)

worraliberty Thu 06-Oct-11 13:15:29

Lol my Dad would love one of those.

To be honest, if you two are that distant towards each other he's probably forgotten all about your allergy.

EricNorthmansMistress Thu 06-Oct-11 14:05:06

My Dad would love that? Where is it from?

YANBU though, it's a crap present for you!

meditrina Thu 06-Oct-11 14:08:24

You need to auction it here - my DCs would love it!

Then you can get perfect revenge publicly take I as an olive branch, by explaining how funny everyone found it (and how much you sold it for).

sue52 Thu 06-Oct-11 14:18:16

My DH would love that. Where did it come from. If you auctioned it, I'd put in a bid.

headfairy Thu 06-Oct-11 14:20:05

I read your thread title as AIBU to think Margaret Thatcher is a nutcracker... grin

I was about to post YANBU

SlightlyDoolally Thu 06-Oct-11 14:53:43

Lydia, thanks for your idea about how to seem the bigger person. Will definitely word the thank you card along those lines and send a suitably naff present to him.

worraliberty, yes I hadn't considered that he might have forgotten I have a nut allergy but that would make perfect sense.

For those who asked where it's from, it's Firebox. Not sure about auctioning it as DS has become quite attached (worryingly)!!!

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 15:13:36

Maybe he was being 'funny'?

bethelbeth Thu 06-Oct-11 15:40:45

They're on firebox ;) Oddly enough I was looking at them last night

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now