Talk

Advanced search

To hate mac and cheese

(65 Posts)
TheSteveMilliband Thu 06-Oct-11 12:58:17

Not the dish, but the term. I've always called it plain old macaroni cheese and am very happy with how it rolls off the to tongue. Has it always been mac and cheese or is it a very annoying Americanism? It seems everywhere- Lorraine Pasquale, article in the Guardian. I know I am being an old fogey (probably) and this might be better suited to pedants' corner but I felt overwhelmed with rage (or mild annoyance) when reading it this morning. Anyone else?

5inthebed Thu 06-Oct-11 12:59:15

I was just about to come in here and say YWBU to use mac and cheese grin

I hate the term as well, yet I am ok with the term spag bol.

ScaredBear Thu 06-Oct-11 13:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Hassled Thu 06-Oct-11 13:01:15

The Americans have always called it Macaroni AND Cheese, but I think the Mac&Cheese thing is relatively new. Although it does feature in quite an early Friends episode so that would be what, late 90s?

It's bloody horrible whatever it's called. I hate the way the sauce slides out of the tubes when you stab them with your fork. It looks intestinal.

valiumredhead Thu 06-Oct-11 13:01:38

It's macaroni cheese, no 'and' in this house!

tigermoll Thu 06-Oct-11 13:01:49

me too!!!

My partner once said to me 'Awesome Mac and Cheese, babe'. I replied: 'I don't know what you are referring to. This is not an episode of Friends.'

valiumredhead Thu 06-Oct-11 13:02:16

Mmmmm might cook it for tea tonight...

valiumredhead Thu 06-Oct-11 13:02:47

tiger ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Snort! grin

strandednomore Thu 06-Oct-11 13:03:05

Ugh really? I had no idea people were using it here. I have been in the States quite a lot in the last few years so got used to it there - but I tend to think of "mac and cheese" as the hossible bright orange rubbery stuff you make from a packet. Macaroni and cheese is the lovely pale yellow homemade stuff....

oneofthegiantsisme Thu 06-Oct-11 13:03:43

Yes, I hate the term. I think that it should only be used if you are referring to a plate of cooked macaroni with some grated cheese on top (which I think could reasonably be referred to as mac and cheese).
Spag bol is different - it's just an abbreviation, not a corruption of the name.
Macaroni cheese is number one favourite dinner in our house, and I get very upset when anyone calls it by the wrong name!

strandednomore Thu 06-Oct-11 13:04:16

Tiger - the fact that he started the sentence with "awesome" would have been what troubled me most (unless he is a bona fide american).

HeadfirstForHocusPocus Thu 06-Oct-11 13:05:11

Just macaroni cheese here too!

ColdSancerre Thu 06-Oct-11 13:06:30

Never heard it used. Don't really like macaroni cheese but am aware from previous threads I am in the minority with that view.

tigermoll Thu 06-Oct-11 13:14:25

Strandednomore - teehee, no, he is not an american (more's the pity, I've always liked the accent. I am deeply aware that makes me weird) but he does what a lot of american TV. (I've also caught him saying 'elevator' and 'loootenant', rather than the more British 'Leff-tenant', but mustn't get onto my pet peeves.......)

squeakytoy Thu 06-Oct-11 13:16:05

I dont mind it.... in fact I love eating it too... grin, but yes, it is very american, and it does seem to taste very different over there too.

RhinoKey Thu 06-Oct-11 13:17:25

For me its the addition of the 'and'.
I hate the dish though - it looks like sick on a plate!

WinterIsComing Thu 06-Oct-11 13:18:36

"intestinal" shock

Not American but this has reminded me of "PB&J" and I really want one now. Toasted.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 06-Oct-11 13:21:18

Sounds like a messy raincoat <sniffs>

As students, one of our staples was spaghetti and cheese, which was just spaghetti and lots of grated cheese - maybe a dusting of dried oregano if we were lucky. Never macaroni though.

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 13:22:27

I love cheesy pasta, macaroni cheese, but not mac and cheese, it just doesn't register in my mind as anything at all.... I first saw it whilst playing the Sims, and its one of the first recipes you can make blush I thought it meant a Big Mac with Cheese?!

Deflatedballoonbelly Thu 06-Oct-11 13:27:58

YANBU

mac and cheese, my arse.

5inthebed Thu 06-Oct-11 13:29:25

That is possibly why I dont like it, because there is no "and" in macaroni cheese.

I don;t actually like eating it eaither, too rich, despite my love of cheese. The DC love it though.

TheSteveMilliband Thu 06-Oct-11 13:40:20

So glad it's not just me! I don't mind spag bol either, that's fine. Mac and cheese just grates. I will blame friend's then - love your response tiger. I have never met anyone before who doesn't like macaroni cheese hassled and sancerre- though you are doing quite a good job of puting me off.

WinterIsComing Thu 06-Oct-11 13:41:14

I love cheese. And pasta. But macaroni cheese is too heavy and creamy. I have to add tomatoes. In the same way that a cheese omelette needs them.

TheSteveMilliband Thu 06-Oct-11 13:41:44

Grimma - yy - not just a raincoat, but a dirty raincoat

nickelbabe Thu 06-Oct-11 13:42:34

you're right, it's macaroni cheese, not and cheese.
it's a horrible corruption.

oh, and it's a horrible dish too, but that's just me and ColdSancerre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now