Talk

Advanced search

To want a sodastream?

(48 Posts)
BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 11:54:14

Please talk me out of it. I don't even like the DCs drinking fizzy drinks - but DH and I get through a lot of mixers - but probably not enough for a sodastream to pay for itself in the next 200 years confused

I think I'm just getting nostalgic about the orange and white one we had when I was young - it was the 'special job' to be the one who got to fizz up the water till it farted smile. And you used to get some lovely flavours like Vampires Venom and Witches Brew. I was nearly salivating over a shiny new one in Sainsburys last night but I managed to drag myself away. Help me!

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 11:55:02

YANBU to want a soda stream.

I still want a Mr Frosty!

BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 11:59:30

I wanted one of those too! It was always on my Christmas list but I never got one. So I bought one for DS when he was little - it was crap!

JJ Thu 06-Oct-11 12:01:14

We use ours constantly and it's paid for itself (we drink lots of fizzy water). I love it. Not sure on the flavours - am not a big flavoured water fan.

We used to have one of those weird things with the CO2 cartridge and it kept exploding. I like the non-explodingness of the Soda Stream much better.

BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 12:04:38

I thought sodastreams did have CO2 cartridges? Or have they changed since 1980 something? grin Don't you still have to put the cartridges in the back; the ones you can recycle at the shop?

troisgarcons Thu 06-Oct-11 12:04:54

very vogue again - and on sale in Tesco this week (or was it Morrisons?)

headfairy Thu 06-Oct-11 12:04:56

I don't really like the flavours, but we make lots of soda water, and add it to orange juice for ds to have fizzy orange,

JJ Thu 06-Oct-11 12:06:42

They have the non-exploding type canisters, not the evil, sanity-shattering, exploding type cartridges. grin

gordyslovesheep Thu 06-Oct-11 12:08:33

we make tonic and appletise with ours - great stuff :D

midnightexpress Thu 06-Oct-11 12:12:54

Bah. YABU. the drinks are horrid. just go out and buy a bottleof Schweppes.

Deathaelina Thu 06-Oct-11 12:13:47

YABU because they are CRAP.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Thu 06-Oct-11 12:17:45

YANBU to want a soda stream. We were utterly deprived as children in the 70s and 80s because my parents refused point blank to buy us one, and I had to get my fizz fix at my friend Fiona's house (she got everything, it was so unfair).

YABU to want to drink fizzy pop. It's very bad for your teeth.

On balance though, your need for a Soda Stream outweighs the risk to your teeth, so I say - buy one!

BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 12:19:56

Can you get sugar free flavours too? Then it's not even bad for you - kind of confused

squeakytoy Thu 06-Oct-11 12:26:33

Sugar free is full of additives that are worse for you than sugar itself.

Use freshly squeezed fruit juice, and water.. no need for the expensive cordials really.

And it also makes fab fizzy wine champagne too out of a cheap bottle of plonk! grin

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 12:32:05

Mmm... tonic. Huzzah! One for the grown ups.

Didn't BloomingHestonville (or whatever he's called) use one to fizz up Blue Nun to create fake champers?

IvySedaiballs Thu 06-Oct-11 12:34:49

YANBU.

I want one.
We go through about 20L of fizzy water in a week, we buy 10 bottles of the tesco value stuff every week and always run out.

it is on my shopping list for our next trip to Makro.

JumpJockey Thu 06-Oct-11 12:36:57

I got one for my birthday this year from DH grin i use it to make fizzy cordial, fizzy water on its own, mix fizzy water with juice. Never the horrible additive syrup stuff they plug, it's just great for fizzing stuff basically!

hophophippidtyhop Thu 06-Oct-11 12:40:25

Buy one and get bizzy with the fizzy!

BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 13:34:05

grin

Maisiethemorningsidecat Thu 06-Oct-11 13:37:27

If I bought one, showed it excitedly to the kids and then said "ah, but we're not using it to make lemonade or cola, we'll be fizzing cordials" they'd look at me like I'd just shot Bambi! Isn't the whole point of a Soda Stream to use it to make vicious coloured pop with the syrups?

Pah - you lot obviously didn't grow up in the 70s. Lightweights...

BatTasteFlump Thu 06-Oct-11 13:43:12

Hmm agreed. My favourite flavour was the blue one - it had a spooky type name and tasted like shit but it was blue!

Maisiethemorningsidecat Thu 06-Oct-11 13:49:10

Exactly. What is better than blue fizz, I ask you??

didn't think you could fizz anything other than water in them then add the juice after, I tried and the bottle just fizzes over. DH got a nasty shock when he tried to fizz up a bottle from the fridge that I had already put vodka in, it exploded!

smallsheep Thu 06-Oct-11 14:18:03

Oh I have one too, they are great, save a fortune of fizzy water at the super market, and no need to buy the horrible syrup stuff either, works a treat with normal cordial, vimto is our fave, and just found a pear drops flavour cordial in tesco, its lush.
Have not tried it with wine - but top tip will be giving that one a go smile Thanks!

JumpJockey Thu 06-Oct-11 20:49:09

Maisie - my dream is to make fizzy milk (having discovered quite young that mixing milk and lemonade utterly mings) - one day when nobody else is in the house I will try smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now