Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think this was a strange way of teaching maths?

(4 Posts)
Arachnophobic Thu 06-Oct-11 11:28:21

I went to look at schools recently and when looking at reception was told that the TA was teaching maths, specifically counting in the reception playground. I had a look and indeed the children were sitting in a wooden house type thing with the TA but a few of the kids were clearly not interested and were playing with a sand pit thing and one was on a trike.

Am I being unreasonable to be concerned about this? Do children in reception get a choice about whether they are involved in teaching or not? Wondering if this was standard or a one off.

EllaDee Thu 06-Oct-11 11:59:35

Counting isn't maths though, is it?! Sounds as if the idea is to give them a gentle introduction to the idea of counting without worrying too much if some don't seem interested. Some children don't get this at home - so they don't come to school already able to count. Maybe this is helpful for those children and the others were playing because they already know their numbers? It would be a nice way to get them up to speed without singling anyone out or making it too formal.

Scholes34 Thu 06-Oct-11 12:05:26

In Reception, children are finding their feet and the emphasis is on learning through play. You'll be surprised how much they pick up through what on the surface just looks like playing.

troisgarcons Thu 06-Oct-11 12:11:26

on strike?

Oh the image of dancing round the braziers with a sign saying 'honk if you support us' ......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now