Talk

Advanced search

to consider selling my breastmilk?

(34 Posts)
PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 08:14:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 08:18:24

I wouldn't sell it, it wouldn't sit right and I don't think a market should be created for it when many donate for free.

Definitely donate it though, the local hospital or Human Milk for Human Babies (on fb) should be interested.

valiumredhead Thu 06-Oct-11 08:18:40

I think you might have to get your head round the idea that it might no be going to actual babies...

Gincognito Thu 06-Oct-11 08:19:29

Yikes. I don't think I'd be comfortable with this.

There's a growing grass-roots bm donation group (will find a link in a sec). Perhaps consider donating there instead? Tbh I think its existence means there will be less of a market.

biddysmama Thu 06-Oct-11 08:19:41

have you heard of hm4hb? (human milk for human babies) it links parents that need breastmilk with women that have milk to donate

personally i wouldnt sell, because i would worry about where its actually going and whats being done with it, i'd like to think it would go to babies that need it but there are breastmilk fetishes

is it legal to sell bodily fluids in the uk?

just to add that i'm a (extended) breastfeeder myself smile

slavetofilofax Thu 06-Oct-11 08:19:58

I wouldn't do it. I'd happily give it away to someone that wanted it, even if I couldn't do it through a bank for whatever reason.

I think it would be quite mean and uncharitable to take money for something that cost you nothing and would be helping a baby.

If you can work out how to make an arrangement with another Mother who needs it, and she pays for the stuff you need, then it would be a wonderful thing. Maybe you could talk to your MW about it?

Gincognito Thu 06-Oct-11 08:20:07

X-posts with NinkyNonker, that's the one.

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 08:22:14

A friend uses HMFHB, she is hugely grateful to them. Have a look op, they connect people with supplies with those who need it nationwide as well as looking for volunteers to transport it too sometimes.

biddysmama Thu 06-Oct-11 08:22:27

btw i added the breastfeeder comment cos i thought it was important that the opinions come from breastfeeders and not breastfeeders iyswim, not cos i like to randomly tell people grin

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 08:24:04

grin

I couldn't comfortably make money from something so vital and emotive, especially if it comes easily to you and is free.

PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 08:32:59

PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 08:34:39

biddysmama Thu 06-Oct-11 08:38:13

www.facebook.com/HM4HBUK?sk=app_6009294086

link probably wont work, ive never done it before lol

biddysmama Thu 06-Oct-11 08:39:08

nearly every country in the world has a hm4hb page smile

PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 08:41:43

PeggyCarter Thu 06-Oct-11 08:53:33

whackamole Thu 06-Oct-11 09:36:59

I wouldn't sell it, but I'm going to contact hm4hb once baby has arrived and BF is established.

I can't donate to the milk bank as I had a blood transfusion last time (really upset about this actually) so we'll see how it goes. Hopefully will be successful.

TheTenantOfWildfellHall Thu 06-Oct-11 09:56:54

I had loads of milk too. I enquired about donating it at my hospital and they looked at me like I was a loon! My DD was on SCBU and I really wanted to help other mums/babies who were in a similar position if they weren't able to bf themselves for any reason.

The hospital were really unhelpful and told me that I'd have to go through this huge lengthy process, I would have to travel to donate the milk and cover all costs that it was something that couldn't be done through the hospital. They gave me no other info and told me that the milk ended up being UHT and often ended up being less beneficial to the babies than formula.

So after being put of, I gave up on the idea. I really wish I'd pursued it more. sad

porcamiseria Thu 06-Oct-11 09:58:55

ha ha ha ha at valium!!!

fuck it sell it if you are skint, just dint think you will get much advice on here TBH

NinkyNonker Thu 06-Oct-11 10:15:08

The op has received advice and seems happy with it.

ChunkyPickle Thu 06-Oct-11 10:15:29

My sister donates. But, if you were selling it, I think valium has hit the nail on the head - the lucrative market isn't selling it to mothers for their babies (which does feel a little mercenary) but selling it to people with unusual tastes proclivities - which would make me feel a little odd personally - even though I don't mind what people get up to in the privacy of their own homes. (but if you need the money, and don't mind, then go for it)

entropygirl Thu 06-Oct-11 12:09:51

Whackamole I hear your pain on the not being allowed to donate - did you get on the thread I started about AIBU to wonder why my breastmilk is okay for my baby and noone elses?

I have been talking to UKAMB about this business and they are listening at least a little bit.

Tenant - how could pasturized human milk be less good than pasturized anything else milk? Some hospitals are very ill informed....

LetTheSlaughterBegincognito Thu 06-Oct-11 12:44:11

Don't some people think it's good for illnesses, or is that just colostrum?

LetTheSlaughterBegincognito Thu 06-Oct-11 12:45:45

Serious illnesses I mean, not the common cold.

<sneezes>

<downs bottle of ebm>

<belches>

everydropcounts Thu 06-Oct-11 17:15:39

Please email info@ukamb.org and we will do our best to enable you to be able to donate it - there are some milk banks that are able to recruit donors from long distances away. Anyone whose local hospital is unhelpful - let UKAMB know (via Facebook page U.K.A.M.B. or info@ukamb.org and we will send information about breastmilk donation to the Chief Executive as well as to the Director of Midwifery and the Clinical Lead for Neonatology. Many thanks for considering donation as your first option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now