Talk

Advanced search

thinking this isn't actually sponsorship

(8 Posts)
workshy Thu 06-Oct-11 00:34:14

DDs have come home from school waving 'sponsorship' forms to take part in a penalty shoot out at school

they have to take the money in on the day they actually do it, are not allowed to take part if they don't bring in money, and get certificates etc dependant on the amount of sponsorship they get

isn't this just paying to take part?????

I would rather the school sent a letter home asking for donations towards the school funds!

madhattershouse Thu 06-Oct-11 00:36:19

Our school did this and had many people object. The school said they were only getting part of the sponsorship money so many parents chose to give directly to the school instead.

aldiwhore Thu 06-Oct-11 00:36:20

Seems a bit odd. What's the minimum cost?

Yes its paying to take part, but the funds go to 'whatever' (PTA?) so I suppose the sponsorship form is to increase the amount that could be raised. Quite canny really, but utterly dull. Lots of kids won't be in the least bit interested.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Oct-11 00:39:12

In My Day [old] sponsorship money was collected after the event, because you'd be sponsored so much per (in this case) goal scored, and you didn't know that until you'd done it.

[hoists bosom]

workshy Thu 06-Oct-11 00:51:30

my thoughts exactly oldladyknowsnothing!

it's £4 to get first bit of tatt prize of a badge

actually could do with a bit of mumsnet snooping on this

says the money is split between the school and action for children -but there is no mention of registered charity number, or what proportion of the sponsorship money goes to the school/charity

the form is headed
'PSA a charter for youth development'

if they get £30 they get a signed PSA football -doesn't say who it is signed by

I don't want to be the evil mother who won't let them take part but doesn't seem very legitimate to me??

AmberLeaf Thu 06-Oct-11 01:13:53

YANBU

Its not sponsorship at all is it? its 'how much will you give us so your child gets a bit of tat big prize'

DS will not be taking part.

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 06-Oct-11 01:17:53

PSA seem to be this lot, so 50% to the school, 30% for prizes, 20% to PSA, and somehow an additional donation to Action for Children. The latter at least appears legit, but I'm not sure how they get anything from it.

meditrina Thu 06-Oct-11 06:28:57

I wouldn't like this, as although some may sponsor regardless, many will do it entirely per goal scored or add a bonus per goal.

So I'd be on to the school explaining that profile of sponsorship, and that DCs cannot bring an amount of money as the total will not be known. If there is no possibility of an adequate post-event deadline to collect the known amount, then I would be seeking assurances on what alternatives will be provided for children who, though no fault of their own, cannot participate and how this will be managed to promote community spirit (not division).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now