Talk

Advanced search

AIBU To think my friends is asking for trouble?

(9 Posts)
DevotionAndDesire Wed 05-Oct-11 21:25:58

Today i had lunch with a good friend of mine, she told me about this guy she has been texting and is planning to meet up with at the weekend.
Basically she met this guy on a iPhone chat app, they exchanged numbers after a short time and have been texting on a daily basis for a few months now.
She has told me that she has sent him saucy pictures, and has booked a hotel in Chester and is planning to spend a weekend 'hanging out' with him.

But she hasn't told him that she is a single parent, or that she even has kids at all.

I get the impression that this guy is a bit obsessive/desperate, she told me that he is in the army and has said that he is lonely.
And while we were eating lunch he texted her at least 7 times, even though she didn't reply once!

Of course I want my friend to find love and be happy ( she has been single for over 4 years) but I just think that texting, sending saucy pics and meeting up with some random guy is really silly, especially when she hasn't even told him she has children. (her kids are 4 and 6)

I did warn her to be very careful, but she is clearly smitten and didn't listen.

I just worry that she is getting herself into a weird situation.

What do you all think?

BruciesDollyDealer Wed 05-Oct-11 21:30:21

think she is mad to jump into bed with someone she doesnt know

think she is even madder to go alone to a room with someone she doesnt know

dont think its necessary to tell him her life story at this stage though

BruciesDollyDealer Wed 05-Oct-11 21:32:46

on the basis she isnt telling him the full story about her, rest assured he wont be telling her complete honesty either

oh and did anyone read that police have put out a warning to women that there is a bloke sleeping around with women, probably thousands by now, and he knows he is HIV+

nice

pictish Wed 05-Oct-11 21:33:27

My friend has just started seeing a new bloke and it's going well...but she's yet to tell him she's three months pregnant to a random shag previously.
That's going to be a fun night.

Nothing to do with me though....it's her crazy life. smile

DevotionAndDesire Wed 05-Oct-11 21:46:38

Just out of interest, at what point do you think it is a good idea to tell someone you have kids?

Personally, if I was a man, I think I would be really put out if I started seeing someone and then found out she had kids.
Isn't not saying anything just like lying in this situation?
I would think it is only fair to let someone know what they are getting into from the very start.
Okay so you don't need to drop it in at the first introduction, Hi I'm Sarah, and have three kids, it's nice to meet you..
But when you get chatting and talk about your jobs and interests surely it would just come up that you have kids, after all they are a huge part of our lives. If you don't mention it it's almost like you are hiding it. IMO.

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 05-Oct-11 22:18:04

I think the biggest worry here is not the fact she has kids but is going against all the safety rules of internet dating and possibly placing herself in danger.
I think that is what you should be pointing out to her.

electra Wed 05-Oct-11 22:20:50

I don't see why she has to tell him she has kids if it's casual.

electra Wed 05-Oct-11 22:21:33

Agree, the issue of her safety is the more pressing one. She shouldn't meet him for the first time in an hotel room.

cjbartlett Wed 05-Oct-11 22:22:50

I'd be worried about her safety

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now