Talk

Advanced search

To think if you do something different from everyone else then you're the weird one?

(38 Posts)
GalaxyWeaver Wed 05-Oct-11 17:28:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SnakeOnCrack Wed 05-Oct-11 17:29:33

Lots of people do it, but I can see his point.. ehem

Sirzy Wed 05-Oct-11 17:30:05

I agree with your dh! Dishes get piled by the sink until time to wash them. But I have a methodical way of washing dishes so it makes more sense!

I mostly do it your way...but I agree with him.

If it's just one or two things to wash then it doesn't matter if you put them in the sink.

If it's loads of things it's much quicker and easier to stack them on the side first.

PedigreeChump Wed 05-Oct-11 17:32:15

Lots of people put dirty dishes in the sink. But in this particular case lots of people are wrong. Very wrong!

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 05-Oct-11 17:32:43

Loads of people do stack the dishes in the sink

It drives me round the twist because it means you have to empty and clean the sink before you wash up and because I've cut myself several times on sharp knives left in there hmm

I've never actually said anything to anyone about it though, it's just not that important!

discobeaver Wed 05-Oct-11 17:36:17

I always put everything in the sink because I don't wash up in a full sink/bowl, I just run the tap and wash under hot running water.

If I did it the other way then yes it would be a pain to have everything in the sink.

So to your original question, the answer is yes. But not everyone does it the same way.

ginmakesitallok Wed 05-Oct-11 17:37:48

don't you have a washing up bowl???

get a dishwasher-fabulous invention

notso Wed 05-Oct-11 17:50:18

I hate it when DH and DC put dishes in the sink.
I am freaky about washing up though, I have to rinse everything first, then wash it and rinse it. DH puts sudsy dishes to dry and I hate it.
We do have a dishwasher but I still have to rinse everything before it goes in and I don't like the feel of dishwashed glasses so wash them by hand anyway.

Dexifehatz Wed 05-Oct-11 17:55:16

Another stacker here! My DH and kids put their plates straight into the bowl WITHOUT SCRAPING OFF THE CRAP FIRST! AAAARRRGGGHHH!!

IneedAbetterNickname Wed 05-Oct-11 17:56:35

same as sirzy. stack them on the side, then wash them in the order my Nannie deemed 'correct'. She'd have gone mad had I not done them this way, and lessons taught young stick!!!

Hulababy Wed 05-Oct-11 17:57:10

I stack by the side of the sink, and then put in dishwasher when empty. I like to have the sink empty so it can be used if need be.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 17:57:20

My husband dumps his dirty plate in the bowl, which is often full of cold manky water... it drives me mad, because it is ME who has to fish it out, to put into the fecking DISHWASHER...

slavetofilofax Wed 05-Oct-11 18:01:14

I totally agree with you DH. And he is not the wierd one, everyone else is.

Food bits in the sink is just minging, I'm actually close to retching just thinking about it.

I am very tankful for our dishwasher, but when it broke, I refused to allow dishes to be piled in the sink.

slavetofilofax Wed 05-Oct-11 18:03:49

And what is the point of a washing up bowl?

That's one I really don't understand, so perhaps MN could enlighten me confused

Dishes should be washed under running water anyway, but if you must be manky and do it in a container full of water, what's wrong with the sink?

NameGotLostInCyberspace Wed 05-Oct-11 18:12:01

I could say the same about baths, HUMANS should be washed under running water. Can I start a new thread?

QueenStromba Wed 05-Oct-11 18:13:24

It's only ok to leave things in the sink if they are soaking. It drives me demented when people put things in the sink and don't even wet them so you have to take it all out before you start washing - at least if they're soaking they're easier to wash. Dishes should also be washed in a particular order, glasses first because they tend to be the least dirty things and you really don't want food residue getting on them, then cups, plates, bowls, cutlery, miscellaneous items and finally pots and pans.

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Wed 05-Oct-11 18:13:32

I do it his way. Glasses/cups washed first, then plates, then cutlery, then pots and pants.

GalaxyWeaver Wed 05-Oct-11 18:14:28

StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 18:17:04

MissPenteuth Wed 05-Oct-11 18:17:32

Dirty dishes left in the bowl leave manky brown sediment, bleurgh. Having said that, our dishwasher doesn't clean things properly if there's a lot of food dried on, so if they're not rinsed or washed straighaway they need to be left to soak for a while. But in a controlled manner.

LetThereBeRock Wed 05-Oct-11 18:19:07

I'm with your dh on this. They're scraped,then rinsed,to get rid of food residue,then put at the side,if not washing immediately,having a cup of tea first perhaps. Then I wash them in the washing bowl,so that I can rinse them without getting food remains in with the water,or so that I can rinse them without making the water cold. Also the water must be changed at least twice.

LetThereBeRock Wed 05-Oct-11 18:20:33

Also because I change the water reguarly it's easier to empty the water out,and refill if I use the bowl.

bananamam Wed 05-Oct-11 18:20:50

Dishwasher...problem solved

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now