Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to take this product back, once I've used it?

(25 Posts)
MothInMyKecks Wed 05-Oct-11 13:46:27

Sorry for putting this here, but you're such a clever lot smile

I bought John Frieda's 3 day hair straightening spray and protector ysterday from a large supermarket. It was £7. I tore one of the flaps off the box when I opened it. I used it this morning, following the instructions to the last letter, and I may have well have sprayed prit-stik glue into my barnet. Had to wash it off straight away. I have box, albeit ripped, and receipt.

Am I within my rights to take it back. £7 is £7!

shesparkles Wed 05-Oct-11 13:48:41

I think it's a bit off -well fraudulent actually- to return it to the shop, but is there a "contact us" address or phone number on the packaging? Get in touch with the manufacturer and tell them how disappointed you are. I'd be surprised if they didn't refund you

purplepidjinawoollytangle Wed 05-Oct-11 13:48:55

I'd be more inclined to phone the company if their product is that crap! Did you take photos, or get any evidence?

MothInMyKecks Wed 05-Oct-11 13:57:56

How can it be fraudulent? Genuine question.
My hair was meant to be sleek and straight but drying just the first section was like drying sticky hair.
I didn't take any pics, I was getting ready to go to a funeral, so washing my hair again made me a teeny bit late.
Thought it would be straightforward just to take it back to the supermarket?

FredFredGeorge Wed 05-Oct-11 14:02:05

You can return it to the shop, it's their responsibility that it wasn't fit for purpose.

YANBU.

duckdodgers Wed 05-Oct-11 14:02:26

No you cant just take it back to the supermarket because you think its rubbish and doesnt suit your hair, you will need to contact the manufacturers if you want to complain. And then they will probably send you vouchers for more John Frieda products grin

slavetofilofax Wed 05-Oct-11 14:04:13

Look on the box, there should be a customer care number. Use that instead of taking it back to the shop.

It is not 'unfit for purpose' just because it doesn't suit you and your hair.

LaWeasel Wed 05-Oct-11 14:04:28

In that situation I'd call the manufacturers and complain you are more likely to get a reasonable response.

AgentProvocateur Wed 05-Oct-11 14:04:44

I've taken things back to the shop because they were rubbish. If it's a supermarket, I'm sure you won't have a problem. If it's not fit for purpose, it's the retailer's problem.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 14:05:58

You could take it back, but you would be better of sending a copy of your receipt and the product back to the manufacturer. Or just email them first and see what their response is.

cestlavielife Wed 05-Oct-11 14:25:33

i think you put too much on ?? - it works great for me and i have FRIZZ.

it says just use three sprays. but that would depend on hair type etc

but send it back with your comments to the customer care manufacturer

not to the shop.

notabankersmum Wed 05-Oct-11 14:28:15

Due to the short amount of time you've had the product, have solid evidence of the purchase, and the item hasn't been used except to reveal it's unsuitable, I would have no issues with taking this back to a supermarket. I've worked on the CS desk of a few shops myself, this one wouldn't make me think twice about ensuring the customer gets refunded. Just because something is a bit of a grey area re: the sale of goods act, doesn't mean to say the CS will send her away.

I'd argue the point that it isn't fit for purpose, personally.

caughtinanet Wed 05-Oct-11 14:36:17

I wouldn't hesitate to take it back.

If there's a problem at the supermarket (which I don't think there will be) you can always contact the manufacturer afterwards.

What have you got to lose by going back to the supermarket ?

eurochick Wed 05-Oct-11 14:44:08

I think you would be unreasonable. You can't take something back just because you don't like it after you have used it. Contact JF customer services instead.

Incidentally, I use that spray and it is great for taming my frizz and doesn't make my hair sticky at all.

Ghoulwithadragontattoo Wed 05-Oct-11 15:22:35

I think you should take it back to the supermarket. I'd be surprised if they didn't refund you. Plus contacting manufacturer is a bit of a faff. Only go to them if you get no joy from retailer.

valiumredhead Wed 05-Oct-11 15:39:34

I took a Sally Hansen nail varnish top gloss strengthener back to Boots - they refunded straight away. I just said it was rubbish and I was disappointed.

valiumredhead Wed 05-Oct-11 15:40:14

You can't take something back just because you don't like it after you have used it

Of course you can!

notabankersmum Wed 05-Oct-11 15:49:19

valiumredhead, no, you can't. there are very clear guidelines about what is and isn't covered under the sale of goods act.

however, most companies will refund under these circumstances where it's a bit more of a grey area or purely for goodwill reasons.

but you can't just take something back because you "don't like it" and expect to be supported on that in legal terms - they have no obligation to refund, which is the key element here.

i would still take it back myself though, without a second thought, in these circumstances, though smile

RhinoKey Wed 05-Oct-11 15:50:26

I love that spray - are you sure you didnt spray it too close?

PigletJohn Wed 05-Oct-11 16:36:30

you can take it back to the shop, they are not obliged to refund it but they are used to having a proprtion of customers who are exceptionally discerning/picky/barmy so might do it just to make you go away and spend more money there in future. If they get hundreds of packs returned they will think it was the product, if you are the only one they will think it was you.

sorry.

NorfolkBroad Wed 05-Oct-11 17:06:51

Perversely I might actually try it now, having read so many good comments about it! I wouldn't take it back if i'd tried it but that is because i am very wimpy about stuff like that!

StellaAndFries Wed 05-Oct-11 17:09:34

I'm another fan of the 3 day straight spray, I would ring the customer care line rather than take it back to the shop.

I threw mine out cos it made my hair feel all crispy sad

Wrigglebum Wed 05-Oct-11 17:43:46

I find it makes my hair really sticky until I use the straighteners then it goes quite nice. I took the Babyliss Big Hair back to Boots as it just didn't work on me- the bristles wouldn't pick up my hair and it wouldn't turn when they did. No problems getting a refund.

MothInMyKecks Wed 05-Oct-11 18:18:57

hmm I'm starting to wonder whether I've sprayed too much of the stuff...

I have shoulder length hair, and I sprayed 7 squirts of the stuff (instructions state 7-15). Given what some of you have said, I think I'd better give it another go, but a bit less liberally this time. <slinks off looking sheepish>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now