Advanced search

to only make one thing for DD

(21 Posts)
StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 13:18:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TartyMcFarty Wed 05-Oct-11 13:21:15

YANBU, I take much the same approach.

MissPenteuth Wed 05-Oct-11 13:22:18

I was wondering about this today as well actually. My DD is 19mo too, and I'm never sure if, when she turns her nose up at something, I should give her something else or explain to her that she can eat what she's given or go hungry. She seems too young for the latter. But at what age can I expect her to understand?

I think the important thing OP is that you and your parents are consistent. You doing one thing and your DM and DF doing another will just confuse and upset her.

IneedAbetterNickname Wed 05-Oct-11 13:23:28

My children get what I have cooked, have done since day1. Obv I don't cook things I know they don't like (ie DS1 hates Pizza, so we only have it when he is out for dinner) but if they don't eat what is on offer, they can have fruit and thats all. I know somepeople won't agree with that, but cannot understand why some people cook 2 or 3 meals!

winnybella Wed 05-Oct-11 13:26:40

If DD doesn't eat her dinner, I'll just give her an apple and/or a glass of milk (which she would have anyway) and not make a big deal out of it. She'll eat more for breakfast next morning, she won't starve. I refuse to be told what to cook by a toddler and most certainly won't be preparing different meals for each family member.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 13:27:17

yanbu, a kitchen in a house is not a restaurant kitchen... one meal fits all...

Beamur Wed 05-Oct-11 13:27:51

Following the advice of a friend, I usually offer DD something new alongside something I know she likes, so she can try - and leave, if not liked, the new thing but still have other food on her plate. I don't offer to make an alternative, but I might offer whatever food group she might be lacking in as a snack later.
For example (DD is also vegetarian) I wanted her to try falafel, so gave her a lunch of pitta, hummous, cucumber and falafel, so if she didn't like them there was still enough food to satisfy her.
I don't think kids will starve by leaving one element of their meal and I certainly wouldn't offer sausages/nuggets together - if one was rejected then I'd suggest they needed to eat up their veg!

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Oct-11 13:30:24

>I always cook things I know DD likes and if it something new and she doesn't like it I will make something else

That's fine - and the 'something else' should be quick for you to prepare and a bit boring.

blondie80 Wed 05-Oct-11 13:33:41

I agree with ineedabetternickname, 1 meal, don't like it too bad.
Plus kids that age will not starve themselves.

TobyLeWolef Wed 05-Oct-11 13:33:42

YANBU. My children eat whatever they're given, and always have, because they've never been given a choice. This makes it very easy to take them out to dinner, or for other people to feed them. There's nothing worse than having a picky child round to tea!

There are certain things I know they don't like, so I won't make them. Or I'll tell them they can pick out that part (eg if I've made something with mushrooms in, which DD hates). But I have never, ever made anyone a separate dinner, from the minute the children started eating solids.

StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 13:34:39

Maisiethemorningsidecat Wed 05-Oct-11 13:37:29

One meal for all 5 of us - always has been. I have neither the time nor the inclination to cook multiple meals.

starfishmummy Wed 05-Oct-11 13:38:16

I would carry on with the new stuff (after all kids have to try things, even their favourite food was new once) and if it is not eaten then I wouldn't offer an alternative straight away but would make sure that there was something available later on.

OchAyeTheNooPal Wed 05-Oct-11 13:39:26

My DD is 20 months OP and i have pretty much the same approach as you. If she doesn't eat her dinner then I just take it away and give her a bit of toast and a some yoghurt or fruit.

Funny thing is some foods she never eats at home but when given the same at nursery she clears her plate. Maybe it's my cooking...

Just keep on as you are. YANBU.

shesparkles Wed 05-Oct-11 13:39:33

YANBU....and ask your mum if that's what she did when you were that age-bet she didn't!

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 13:45:37

I would say let the grandparents carry on... especially if they dont see her very often. She will have fond memories as she grows up of being "spoilt" there anyway, and you can use it as a learning curve for her that in your house it is your rules.

Beamur Wed 05-Oct-11 13:48:07

Ah well, if it's an occasional indulgence by GP's then fine - my Granny used to let me eat my pudding ahead of my main course sometimes, and bring me breakfast in bed when I stayed over.

DeWe Wed 05-Oct-11 14:00:41

My 10yo's like this. I've always just cooked one meal and said she gets that or she can make herself a sandwich, or go without. Problem is she's now gone off bread, so decides not to eat. sad I try to make sure there is something that she likes, but it's getting increasingly difficult.
She ate everything on her plate until about 3 years ago.

squeakytoy Wed 05-Oct-11 14:02:48

I would be worried about a 10yo going "off" bread. Has she seen something about low carbs, or is getting daft ideas about dieting?

StrandedBear Wed 05-Oct-11 14:06:39

youarekidding Wed 05-Oct-11 14:14:02

I agree with all the above.

yanbu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now