Talk

Advanced search

to not let DD1 go on coach trip?

(32 Posts)
SeriousWispaHabit Wed 05-Oct-11 12:05:33

Really don't know whether I am or not and am prepared to abide by the rules and accept any responses graciously.

DD1 is just turned 3 and started this term at the local nursery/preschool. They are planning a trip to an aquarium which is about a one hour drive away and will be going in a coach and along the motorway. I asked about car seats and was told that there are 3 point harnesses (normal seat belts) on the coach and this is what they use.

I know a coach/bus is safer than a car but it still doesn't feel right. I know I have a slightly skewed perspective on car safety, having worked in A+E and a hospital paediatrics department. I have seen the results of children not being properly secured in cars. DD1 still has a rear facing seat when in our car so it is a big jump for me to go from that to in a coach with just an adult seatbelt.

On the other hand I know she'd have a great time and it is a great experience etc but I just don't know.

NotJustClassic Wed 05-Oct-11 12:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

faverolles Wed 05-Oct-11 12:08:16

YANBU.
I felt like this about coach travelling when mine were preschoolers.
Could you take her in your car and meet up with the others at the aquarium?

Tomorrowslookingfine Wed 05-Oct-11 12:09:43

YANBU could you send in her car seat that day and request she be sat on it?

worraliberty Wed 05-Oct-11 12:09:46

How does she fit in a rear facing car seat at 3yrs old?

YABU because if you continue to think this way, she'll never go on a school trip at all in primary surely?

octopusinabox Wed 05-Oct-11 12:10:12

Can you offer to supply your own car seat and fit it in the morning before they go? That's what we did although most people brought one and they said they had spares if anyone needed one. I don't think any of them went without. The coaches do have adjustable seatbelts which I'd have thought was fine for the older and taller ones.

JeremyVile Wed 05-Oct-11 12:12:03

You're perfectly entitled to decide as you see fit, shes your daughter.

BUT, I think it would be a shame for her to miss out over such small risk.

SeriousWispaHabit Wed 05-Oct-11 12:13:24

Worraliberty you can get rear facing group 1 and 2 seats that fit children up to age 4 or even older. They are very popular in Sweden and Denmark I think and are catching on here.

<<breathes big sigh of relief that it is not a complete list of YABU>>

Ineedacleaneriamalazyslattern Wed 05-Oct-11 12:14:53

YABU. She will be fine.
The 3 point belts will be adjustable at the shoulder for the little ones and as you said the coach is far safer than a car.
Honestly if in the unlikely event there was an accident think about how high a coach is compared to a car and where a care would hit the coach the impact points and force are totally different the main reason why car seats are not needed on a coach.

It is hard the first time you let them do these things but it would be a real shame if you stopped her going.

worraliberty Wed 05-Oct-11 12:15:37

Oh I see, I didn't realise that.

Do you never take your child on a bus or train though?

SeriousWispaHabit Wed 05-Oct-11 12:20:05

Ineedacleaner that is what the rational bit of my brain says. I think it's the fact it is the motorway as well that's bothering me. worraliberty yes, we go on trains, but that's different because it's on a track and the chance of something crashing into it is very, very small.

mummytime Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:07

You need to think very very hard. Because what are you going to do when she is at school? At what point are you going to let her go on school trips, including swimming lessons? Do you ever use public transport?

worraliberty Wed 05-Oct-11 12:21:38

But if the train did crash, your child would be less safe than in the coach crashed, due to having no seat belt at all on the train.

worraliberty Wed 05-Oct-11 12:22:05

*if

stealthsquiggle Wed 05-Oct-11 12:23:09

When DD's nursery took them on coach trips everyone brought their own booster seats / car seats with them - could you not ask if it is OK to do that (although fitting a rear-facing seat into a coach seat could be tricky - would you be OK if she were in a front-facing one but with proper harness, and could you borrow one)?

GoAndDoSomeWork Wed 05-Oct-11 12:34:37

YANBU and I made the same fuss when my dd went on nursery trip and nursery happy for everyone to bring car seats. Same thing happened in reception but only a couple of us turned up with car seats and transpired that although supposed to be 3 point harness there were only lap belts many of which did not work properly and I doubt even those that did work would have held a 4 year old safely. I do not understand why there should be one rule for car and a different one for coaches especially if they are travelling along motorways. There have been a number of high profile coach accidents in recent years and I am sure many more minor ones where the injuries are not considered interesting enough by the media.

AChickenCalledKorma Wed 05-Oct-11 12:42:49

I would be unhappy about it at age 3. Partly because of the car seat issue, but also because an hour long coach trip is an awfully long time for that age group.
It's nothing like a local bus trip, which would generally be slower and shorter.

Plenty of time for exciting trips later on, once they are at school. By which time, the seat belts will fit better and you will feel more relaxed.

SeriousWispaHabit Wed 05-Oct-11 12:45:59

A bit of a split here. I think for me it is about being as safe as you can be in a particular situation and for me that would be using a car seat (forward facing would be fine) in the coach. I think if we can do that then I'll let her go and if not.....aarrgghh, I'm still undecided confused

fififlowertot1 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:49:41

I just wondered how much she weighed and if she is big enough for a booster seat yet? It used to be 15kg but not sure if it's changed. Could be a good compromise though - she doesn't miss out on the trip and you may feel more relaxed about it. I think I would have been worried about mine going on a coach trip at that age with no seats.

NotJustClassic Wed 05-Oct-11 12:50:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheEarlOfDoncaster1963 Wed 05-Oct-11 12:52:18

I would be wary as well - not so much because of the seatbelt issue, but just because of the length of journey. THey need to sit still in a normal seatbelt otherwise it slips off their shoulder.

I would leave it, she has plenty of time to go on trips.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 05-Oct-11 12:58:10

>But if the train did crash, your child would be less safe than in the coach crashed, due to having no seat belt at all on the train.

I bet the OP chooses seats which face rearward for her DC, which makes quite a difference. And train crashes are extraordinarily rare.

Ihavewelliesbutitssunny Wed 05-Oct-11 12:58:16

Sorry I don't have anything sensible to say but when I read the thread title I thought you were talking about the channel 4 show 'coachtrip' and got quite excited blush. She could have met Brenden grin

SeriousWispaHabit Wed 05-Oct-11 13:25:02

Hmm, have just got back from picking up DD1 from nursery. Most people seem to have reservations, although mainly about the distance and the fact that it's a trip lasting most of the day. Also, some children are only 2 and they are proposing the same seat belt rules for them. I don't think enough people are going to agree to it for it to happen.

notfarmingatthemo Thu 06-Oct-11 11:23:25

I went on the swimming coach with year three/four at our school 7-9 year old.
The first week the had 3piont belts most of the children were really two short for them, some didn't know how to put them on. The second week it was lap belt despite the fact that I hate lap belt all the children wore the properly and were more comfy. At that age your dd is I would diffidently take a carseat with you. Sounds like a nightmare to me a hour on a coach with 2-4 year old many of the won't have been on a coach or even been anywhere for the whole day.
They must have lots of staff how many are they taking.
A reception trip to a farm just fills like a series of trips to the loo with a few animals to see in-between. Have they done this trip before?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now